Swiss Chalet Style Chicken
This is my interpretation of a Swiss Chalet Style Chicken Dinner. Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Quarters with a small bowl of Dipping Sauce. Your Choice of Side and/or Salads.
This is a dish very similar to St Hubert’s Chicken. I love my versions of these both the same, often switching back and forth from time to time.
Both the St Hubert Sauce and Swiss Chalet Dipping Sauce is great with Turkey too.
St Hubert vs Swiss Chalet
For me, St Hubert and Swiss Chalet are competing with the same style dish. My interpretation of it is that St Hubert is an acidic, spiced, and chicken flavor dominant sauce.
Whereas Swiss Chalet is a less acidic, and chicken flavor which is dominant in Herby flavor coming through. Either a Poultry Seasoning or my favorite which is Parsley, Marjoram, Tarragon & Rosemary along with Salt & both Black and White Pepper. Add more or less based on preference.
Swiss Chalet Ingredients
Below are the Swiss Chalet ingredients. My version is in the style of Swiss Chalet. It has different ingredients in it since this is my version of it. But I wanted to post them here as a framework to work with.
Swiss Chalet Sauce
It contains no Mustard, Wheat, Soy, Sulphites, Milk, or Eggs.
Contains: Modified Cornstarch, Salt, Tomato Powder, Chicken Fat, Spice, Dextrose, Caramel Color, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Silicon Dioxide.
Another listing of the same Swiss Chalet dipping sauce but different packaging is
Contains: Modified Cornstarch, Salt, Dextrose, Tomato Powder, Spices, Chicken fat, Silicone Dioxide, Herbs, Yeast extracts, Onion Powder, Citric Acid, Garlic Powder, Caramel Color, Natural Flavor.
Swiss Chalet Chicken Seasoning
The Chicken seasoning or ingredients that go on the Chicken is pretty hard to find. It’s a basic BBQ or Rotisserie Seasoning type of blend.
Swiss Chalet Chicken Platter
JAH Rotisserie Seasoning
I have my own special blend for Rotisserie Style Chicken that I use for this recipe. It is absolutely Fantastic for Rotisserie-Style Chicken, which is what you want with Swiss Chalet and St Huberts Style Chicken.
For this dish, I like to use Chicken Quarters with the leg and thigh still attached, just the same for St Hubert’s Chicken.
Use Chicken Quarters, Breast, or a whole Roasting Chicken. Clean and Trim the Chicken. For how to clean and trim or break a chicken down into pieces, check out my post on How to Prepare Chicken. Save the trimmings, as this will be used to render the fat out and add it to the sauce.
The Chicken is coated in Rotisserie Seasoning and baked.
Swiss Chalet Sauce
The Sauce is a simple Gravy, much like St Hubert’s – which can be used here as well. They are almost the same. However, my version takes it to the Herby side for a unique style of Swiss Chalet Sauce that is enjoyed quite a bit. It pairs exceptionally well with the Chicken.
It’s a Fantastic Dipping Sauce and can be used for Hot Chicken Sandwiches and Turkey as well.
The rendered chicken fat contributes to the flavoring of the Dipping Sauce. For more information on rendering fat, check out my post on Rendered Fat.
How to make Swiss Chalet Dipping Sauce
It starts by rendering fat from the Chicken Trimmings, which adds a chicken flavor to the sauce.
- Just cook the chicken trimmings in a sauce pot over medium heat until the fat is rendered, and the trimmings are crisp. Discard the Crackling. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons. I usually just add what I got, but if it is less than 2 Tbl top it up with Butter or Oil.
- Combine all the Dipping Sauce ingredients into a bowl and add to the Pan with the rendered fat. Whisk well with a wire whisk and bring to boil until thickened. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, pour it into small dipping bowls.
Swiss Chalet Platter Side Dishes
Buttery Mixed Vegetables
Use Corn, Peas, Green or Yellow Waxed Beans, Carrots, or whatnot. Simmer it in Chicken Broth. Just enough to cover with a couple of Tablespoons of Butter, and Season with Salt & Pepper.
Potato Side Dish
I usually just buy a bag of Fries and Deep Fry them. Although if there is enough time, I really enjoy my Homemade Fries. These are phenomenal fries, tasting like Baked Potatoes but are extremely crispy.
Use a bit of JAH Rotisserie Seasoning on the Fries too!
These are time-consuming, but are they ever good.
Go with Thick Cut Air Fryer Fries. Just toss the frozen fries with some oil or rendered chicken fat and salt. Let them thaw a bit before air frying for about 30 minutes at 400 F with frequent tossing.
Broiled Potatoes can be served up for a side as well and seasoned any way you’d like. These are seasoned with Dill Weed and other ingredients.
Hash browns can be made up soft, medium crisp, or full crisp depending on how much oil is used. The nice thing about this side is that the potatoes are baked the night before and refrigerated. Then it is just a matter of dicing them and pan frying with some fat.
Swiss Chalet Style Chicken
- Roasting Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Sauce Pot
- 4 Chicken Quarters
- As Needed JAH Rotisserie Seasoning - Or use a BBQ Rub
- 1 Cube Chicken Maggi Bouillon
- 2 C Water
- 2 Tbl Rendered Chicken Fat
- 2 Tbl Tomato Juice
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbl Potato Starch
- 1 tsp JAH Rotisserie Seasoning
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Marjoram
- 1/4 tsp Ground Tarragon, Rosemary & MSG
- 1/8 tsp Citric Acid, Salt, Black & White Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Clean and Prep the Chicken. Save the trimming to render the fat out later.
- Season Chicken all over with Rotisserie Seasoning. Place on a rack in a roasting pan, presentation down. Cook for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, flip the chicken presentation side up and continue to cook 20 minutes.
- After 45 minutes. Shut the oven off but leave the Chicken in there for 15–20 minutes. While you prepare the Sauce.
- Combine all the Dipping Sauce ingredients into a Bowl and mix. Render the trimmed Chicken Fat over medium heat in a sauce pot. Remove the crackling and add the Bowl of Dipping Sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil, mixing often until thickened. Adjust the seasoning. Remove from the heat and let rest.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…