JAH Rotisserie Seasoning is a custom blend of Herbs & Spices. Designed specifically for Rotisserie-Style Chicken. You often smell and see this style of Seasoned Chicken spinning on the Rotisserie at your local supermarket. Use JAH Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning to bring the home-style goodness of ►Read more
Introducing East Coast inspired JAH Halifax Donair Spice. This is a True Maritime Food and the Official Food of Halifax since 2015.
This custom blend is my interpretation of the Halifax Donair and I got to tell you. This takes me way back, triggering memories of the earlier donairs when they were being offered in the Halifax Region.
Greasy, Spicy Slivers of Shaved Meat on a Pita Bread (Lebanese) with Sweet Halifax Donair Sauce, Diced Tomatoes & Onions. Grease drippings falling out while you eat the Donair. It’s enough to make any Haligonian or Maritimer at Home and now it can be made from Home, no matter where you are.
Whether you have moved away and can’t quite find it anymore or just want to make it at home for cheaper but same quality as the restaurants.
JAH Halifax Donair Spice is the Go-To Donair Seasoning. Making 5+ lbs from one package. Which is 20 Fresh Quarter Pound Donairs or 10 half-pounders.
Flour, Salt, Spice Mix(Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Spices), Sodium Phosphate
Prepared in a kitchen that may contain other allergens.
You will Need
1 lb Medium/Lean Ground Beef & 3 Tablespoons of JAH Halifax Donair Spice.
If you want it even spicier add Black Pepper or Cayenne Pepper to your preference. The Flavor and Texture are already there. Optionally you can Season the meat when cooking in the frying pan with additional Heat.
- For every 1 lb ( 454 g) of very Cold Medium or Lean Ground Beef mix with the below in a Food Processor for about 2 minutes or in a dough mixer fitted with a paddle for 10 – 15 minutes until it turns to a paste. You can do this by hand, just be sure to get a paste-like consistency with the meat.
3 Tbl JAH Donair Spice
1 Tbl Cold Water
- Place all of the meat onto a counter and flatten it out to get all the air out. Then form into Ball and throw it down on the counter a few times with force to further get trapped air out. Shape into an elongated loaf and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, overnight is best.
- Preheat oven to 300 F and place the Donair Meat on a Broiler Pan. Cook until internal temp of 160 F. Flip over halfway through. For 1 lb it is about 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest. Reserve the grease that is in the pan, if any depending on your cut of meat, to fry the donair meat later.
- Shave/Slice into very thin slices and heat Donair Meat in a frying pan over medium-high to max Heat with the Grease Drippings. Place Pita Breads on top or Steam the Pita Breads Separately.
- Sauce the Pita Bread with Donair Sauce, Place the meat on top, and add some more Donair Sauce, Diced Onions & Tomatoes.
- The meat needs to be really cold to get a tight meat that slices like the restaraunts.
- Wet your hands while handling the Raw meat for easier handling.
- Cut the loaf lengthwise into 1-inch strips and then slice thinly to get shaved donair meat like the restaurants or run it through a meat slicer on a very thin setting.
- With Lean Ground Meat, you can add in about 80 g – 90 g of Beef or Lamb Fat. Freeze the fat and cut it into small pieces. Puree until in small pieces before adding in the Meat & Seasoning.
- Don’t leave the shaved meat sit out uncovered. It will darken and dry out pretty quickly.
For more Donair Meat uses See Donair Meat Post.
To reach about 160 F internal temp at 300 F
- 1 lbs loaf takes about 55 minutes
- 2 lbs loaf takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes
In some cases, the meat may still be slightly pink in the middle. This is fine as you will thinly slice the meat and finish cooking the donair meat in the pan before serving.
Donair Meat Portion Size.
- Small Donair = 75 g
- Quarter Pounder = 113 g
- Third Pounder = 151 g
- Half Pounder = 227 g
- One Pounder = 454 g
Meat Mixing Ratios
Use 100 % Ground Beef or cut it with Ground Lamb or Pork at 10 – 20 % based on your preference. Example 363 g of Ground Beef & 91 g of Lamb or Pork for a 1 lb mix at 20 %.
Here is a video of the Final Product from our Facebook Page. It’s not dry, crumbly, or breaking apart easily. Look at the way it slices, leaving knife marks in the meat just like the Restaurants when shaving the meat and the juices that seep out, How pliable it is, just like Spicy thin slivers of Steak. Now You know that’s Good!
Store the Seasoning in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
Whole Raw or Cooked Loaves can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Freshly Sliced Donair Meat can be portioned and frozen for 2 months after which the flavor and texture start to deteriorate.
Don’t leave the Cooked Sliced Donair meat out for too long uncovered. Since it is sliced thin it will dry out fast, especially if not coated in any Sauce or Liquid for moisture.
Check out JAH Donair Meat Post for all the different ways to use Donair Meat. Halifax Donair Sauce and Homemade Pita Bread as well, to make up your homemade donair. With this, you are all set to enjoy Quality Halifax Style Donair at Home and on the Cheap.