St Hubert Style Chicken and Gravy
This is a St Hubert Style Chicken dish recipe. Seasoning the Chicken and Baking it. Using a Gravy like Sauce. Strong in Chicken Broth and a touch of Tomato over the Chicken. Or on the side in a dipping container and over French Fries or Mashed Potatoes.
St-Hubert BBQ Ltd is a chain of Canadian casual dining restaurants best known for its rotisserie chicken. The Restaurant is most popular in Quebec, and in other French-Canadian areas – Such as Eastern Ontario and New Brunswick. And is the 16th largest restaurant chain operating in Canada.
They offer a few sauces. Here are their ingredients.
Water, modified corn starch, glucose solids, chicken fat, salt, Dextrose, hydrolyzed soy, corn and wheat protein, spices, onion powder, Vinegar powder, yeast extract, citric acid, xanthan gum, tomato powder, Beet powder, caramel colour, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, garlic Powder, natural and artificial flavours. Contains: soy, wheat.
Water, modified corn starch, wheat flour, salt, dextrose, hydrolyzed plant proteins (soy, corn), onion powder, caramel powder (sulphites), canola oil, guar gum, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfate, spices, torula yeast, vinegar, tomato powder, citric acid, soy flour, garlic powder, beet powder, natural flavours (soy lecithin). Contains: wheat, soya, sulphites.
HOT CHICKEN SANDWICH
Water, modified corn starch, wheat flour,salt, dextrose, hydrolyzed plant protein (soy, corn) , chicken fat,onion powder,caramel powder(sulphites), potassium sorbate, torula yeast, sodium bisulfate,lactic acid, guar gum, sodium benzoate,spices,soy flour,garlic powder ,natural flavours(soybean oil). Contains: wheat, soya, sulphites.
Salt, spices, corn starch, onion powder, spice extract, garlic powder.
St Hubert Style Chicken
Prep the Chicken. If you haven’t seen my post on How to Prep a Chicken check it out. For the Fat, it is preferable to render Chicken Fat from the trimmings for additional Flavor, it really does make a difference.
You can do this with a whole chicken as well. After it is cooked you can chop it down into pieces and serve. The leftover chicken can be used to make Hot Chicken Sandwiches.
The Seasoning is quite simple. It is a BBQ Rub Mix/Rotisserie type Seasoning. Use the Seasoning listed in the recipe or use JAH Rotisserie Seasoning for that Rotisserie Aroma and Flavor. This is available on our online store at shop.jahzkitchen.com for $9.99 CAD.
We want to use Cornstarch for the thickener and not Flour. We could use 1:1 Cornstarch and Flour, but I prefer the Texture and Aesthetics of just using Cornstarch.
The Sauce/Gravy is Brown with a reddish tinge. Strongly Flavored with Chicken Broth. Think of it like a Chicken Gravy Mixed with Tomato Soup & BBQ Sauce. It has a Tang mixed with Additional Flavors.
Other uses for St Hubert Style Chicken Components
JAH Rotisserie Seasoning can also be used for any meats that you roast. It is excellent as a BBQ Rub for things like Ribs and even a Turkey.
The Gravy Sauce can be used for the following.
- Hot Chicken Sandwich
- Hot Hamburger Sandwich
- Dip for Chicken Wings, Nuggets or Fries
- Add the Sauce with Ketchup or Mayo to create another Sauce.
Hot Chicken Sandwich
Gravy Sauce is reheated and thickened with Potato Starch. Unbelievably Good!
St Hubert Style Chicken & Gravy
- 4 Chicken Legs and Thighs Attached
- JAH Rotisserie Seasoning – or use the BBQ Seasoning Below
- 1 Tbl Sea Salt
- 2 Tbl Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder, Garlic, Onion
- 1/2 tsp Basil, Black Pepper, Oregano, Parsley, Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Cumin & Sage
- 3 C Water
- 3 blocks Maggi Chicken Block or 6 tsp Chicken Broth Powder
- 1/4 C Chicken Fat or other form of fat
- 1/4 C Tomato Juice or V8 Juice
- 3 Tbl Cornstarch
- 1 Tbl Potato Starch – if you want a Thicker Gravy Sauce
- 2 Tbl HP Sauce
- 1 Tbl Ketchup
- 1 Tbl Vinegar
- 1 tsp BBQ Seasoning Above & Vegetable Broth Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Bay Leaves or 2-3 Bay leaves
- Combine all Ingredients and use on Chicken.
Baking Roasting Chicken
- Trim Chicken pieces and dislocate the Joints.
- Sprinkle BBQ Seasoning generously and Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes or longer depending on size.
- If you want a lighter colored chicken then bake covered with Tin Foil for the First 20-30 minutes. Then uncover for the remaining time.
- Shut the heat off but leave the chicken in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or longer.
- When the Chicken is about to be served. Combine All ingredients together mix really well and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the Burner. Adjust the Seasoning. Serve over Chicken.
- Try it with Poutine on the Side!
- Try Hot Chicken Sandwich. Make a sandwich with the Chicken Meat and Serve Gravy on top!
- Use it for a Hot Hamburger Sandwich too!
- Use the BBQ Seasoning for other meats as well like Ribs!