Pizza Doggies are either Hot Dogs or Sausages with Pizza Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese and Pepperoni. Add any other pizza toppings you want. Optionally brush the buns with Garlic Butter for added Garlic Flavor.
I place a pan with water on max heat to boil and a Pizza Screen over top. Place the buns cut side down and cover with a lid to steam. Then flip the buns over and continue to steam covered until really soft. I usually do this while boiling the Hot Dogs. When the Buns are done. I dump the water out and pan fry the Hot Dogs for a bit before placing them into the Buns.
Hot Dog Buns
The Hot Dog Buns are first steamed. This softens the buns and adds more moisture so that when they go into the oven they crisp up a bit but don’t go too dry. Steam them until they are very soft.
Just Boil if using Hot Dogs or Cook the Sausages in the Oven. Then Pan Fry the Hot Dogs or Sausages a bit before placing them into the Steamed Buns. Top with Pizza Sauce and Cheese and then layer Pepperoni on top. These get cooked in the oven at 400 F for about 5 minutes.
Use a High Quality Mozzarella Cheese. While the Store version of Mozzarella cheese can work here, you do get far better results using Saputo’s Mozzarella Cheese. Even better is a shredded Mozza & Provolone. This is basically a mix of Saputo’s Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone Cheese at a ratio of 3:1.
Buy a Good Quality Pepperoni, It makes all the difference. One of my Favorite Brands is below. I use this for Doggies, Pizza, and sometimes Pasta Sauces and Sandwiches.
- 4 Hot Dogs or Sausages
- 4 Hot Dog Buns
- Pizza Sauce | Pizza Sauce Recipe Link
- Mozzarella Cheese Blend 3:1 Mozzarella to Provolone
- 16 sliced Good Quality Pepperoni
- Cook the Hot Dogs or Sausages according to instructions and then Pan Fry with some fat for a few minutes.
- Steam the Hot Dog Buns and place the Hot Dog or Sausage inside the Bun and top with Pizza Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese and 4 slices of Pepperoni on top.
- Place into preheated oven on a baking sheet at 400 F for about 5 minutes and Serve.