Cheeseburger Oven Sub
The Cheeseburger Oven Sub is a classic that you will want to have often. It’s just too good. This recipe is in the style of how Greco does them. A Delicious Cheeseburger Oven Sub brushed with Garlic Butter and sauced with Pizza Sauce topped with Ground Beef, Bacon and Onions with that beautiful Mozzarella and Provolone Cheese blend and some Cheddar too.
Cheeseburger Oven Sub Ingredients
For this Awesome Oven Sub, we use Ground Beef, Bacon, & Onions. You could add Mushrooms, Dill Pickles, Jalapeño, and more.
Cook Ground Beef with a dash of Soy Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce for added flavor over medium heat.
Use Natural Bacon no flavorings like Maple or use Canadian Bacon or Both. Chop up the Bacon Raw and cook in the skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain out and save the grease for other recipes.
For the Onions, you can soak these in water to take the edge off. I sometimes make these with Red Onions as well, and I like to Garnish with Green Onions.
An even faster Garlic Butter that works pretty well is JAH Garlic Sauce. This can be made up in less than 5 minutes.
The Second Secret is French’s Ketchup or Heinz Chili Sauce with the Base Pizza Sauce. Not too much where it’s noticeable. Just enough to give the sauce some lightness.
Greco uses this for their Sauce. That’s the secret. Yep! Just a touch of Ketchup with the Pizza Sauce. Or the Quick Tomato Sauce, which already contains the Ketchup as well as additional seasonings that go really well with this oven sub.
The Cheese is basically a mix of High Moisture Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone at a ratio of 3:1. For this Oven Sub, we mix in a little Shredded Cheddar Cheese as well.
Oven Sub Bread
Greco uses French Style Bread. But any Oven Sub Bread will work. Usually, I pick up the long loaves – Artisan, Baguettes, or Ciabatta. One loaf will give 2 portions. Just cut them in half and then slice them to separate the top from the bottom.
You can also make these on the 6-inch Hoagie buns or Sub Buns.
Cheeseburger Oven Sub
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Baking Sheet
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Prepare the Quick Tomato Sauce or Pizza Sauce and the Garlic Sauce, set these aside for now.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the chopped bacon until crisp. Drain the grease out and save for other recipes.
- Add the Ground Beef and Cook until done. Optionally, with a splash of Soy Sauce or Worcestershire sauce. Add diced Onions and cook for a few seconds to a minute, or add the Onions fresh on the oven subs before they go into the oven.
- Brush the Sub buns with Garlic Sauce then Quick Tomato Sauce and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle over top the Beef, Bacon, and Onions and then Cheese Blend.
- Place on middle rack and bake for 5 minutes. Broil if additional color is needed. Garnish with Green Onions, Parsley, Aleppo/Chili Flakes or your favorite Pizza Shake.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more