Cheeseburger Oven Sub
JAH Superior Oven Subs. The Cheeseburger Oven Sub is a classic and you will want to have this often. You can easily convert this to a Pizza Oven Sub. It’s the same thing just additional or different toppings. This recipe is in the style of how Greco does them.
Cheeseburger Oven Sub Ingredients
For the Awesome Oven Sub, we use Ground Beef, Bacon, and Onions. You could Add Mushrooms, Dill Pickles, Jalapeno, and more.
Cook the Ground Beef with a dash of Soy Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce for added flavor.
Use Natural Bacon no flavorings like Maple or use Canadian Bacon or Both. Chop up the Bacon Raw and cook in the skillet until crisp.
For the Onions – you can soak these in water to take the edge off. I sometimes make these with Red Onions as well and I like to Garnish with Green Onions.
Two Secrets Ingredients
Garlic Butter is the secret to making these Fantastic Oven Subs, the Garlic Butter gets brushed onto the bread before the Pizza Sauce goes on. An even faster Garlic Butter that works pretty well is JAH Garlic Butter Oil. This can be made up in less than 5 minutes.
The Second Secret is Ketchup with my Base Pizza Sauce. Not too much where it’s noticeable. Just enough to give the sauce some lightness.
Greco uses this for their Sauce. That’s the secret. Yep! Just a touch of Ketchup with the Pizza Sauce. Or the Quick Tomato Sauce which already contains the Ketchup as well as additional seasonings that go really well with this oven sub.
The Cheese is basically a mix of High Moisture Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone at a ratio of 3:1.
For this Oven Sub, we mix in a little Shredded Cheddar Cheese as well.
Cheeseburger Oven Sub Bread
Greco uses French Style Bread. But any Oven Sub Bread will work. Usually, I pick up the long loaves – Artisan, Baguettes, or Ciabatta. One loaf will give 2 portions. Just cut them in half and then slice them to separate the top from the bottom.
You can also make these on the 6-inch Hoagie buns or Sub Buns.
Cheeseburger Oven Sub
- 2 Artisan, Baguette or Ciabatta Long Bread – or Hoagie Buns
- Garlic Butter – or for Quick use JAH Garlic Butter Oil
- Pizza Sauce Recipe with Ketchup added – or Quick Tomato Sauce
- 1 lbs Cooked Ground Beef
- 8 strips Cooked Chopped Bacon
- 1 Onion
- 1-2 Stalks Green Onions
- Mozzarella Cheese Mix – mixed with a bit of Cheddar Cheese or use Marble Cheese
- Cook the Ground Beef & Bacon and prepare the Vegetables.
- Cut each sub in half, then cut them in half to make a top and bottom that will sit side by side. Giving you 4 portions, top and bottom oven sub/open faced sub.
- Brush with Garlic Butter and Sauce with Pizza Sauce or Quick Tomato Sauce.
- Top with cooked Ground Beef Chunks, Bacon Bits, Onions (Sliced or diced)
- Top with Cheese mixture and place on a baking pan on middle rack into a preheated oven at 450 F for 5 minutes. Then Broil if needed. Garnish with Green Onions, Parsley, Chili Flakes or your favorite Pizza Shake.