Passata Pizza Sauce
Passata Pizza Sauce is quick and easy, coming together in minutes. It uses Passata as the Tomato base with added Sea Salt, Fresh Basil, finely shredded Garlic, Oregano, and Black Pepper to taste.
Optionally add in some Chili Flakes or sprinkle the Pizza with Chili Flakes. You can also make this sweeter with the addition of some Sugar and/or acidic with the addition of Red Wine Vinegar or Lemon Juice.
Passata Pizza Sauce ingredients
A nice smooth Pizza Sauce with all the Ingredients derived from both the Margherita & Marinara Neapolitan Pizzas. Feel free to omit or adjust the amounts of a particular ingredient. Sometimes I opt just for the Oil & Basil.
A 680 ml bottle of Mutti Passata is used to create the Pizza Sauce base.
If a crushed Tomato texture is desired. This can be combined with crushed tomatoes or this Pizza Sauce to get a really nice consistency.
Garlic amounts can be anywhere from 1 Clove of Garlic to 4 Cloves of Garlic for a Pizza Sauce with a strong Garlic Kick. If you were to scale the recipe up with what is traditionally in a Neapolitan Marinara Pizza, it would be 3 % or less of the Sauce or 3 – 4 cloves (size varies, so about 20 g) of Garlic for a 680 ml bottle of Passata.
Here’s the thing, though. On an authentic Marinara Pizza, the Garlic is thinly sliced and placed on the Pizza, not spread throughout the Sauce. For this reason, I placed the Garlic at the lowest end, adding in 1 clove of Garlic to a bottle of Passata. This amount works very nicely and allows the other flavors to come through. If however, you are looking for a strong Garlic flavored Pizza Sauce, then by all means add in about 20 g or less of Garlic Cloves.
Another option to do when making Pizzas and wanting a strong Garlic Flavor is to brush the Pizza with Garlic Butter before saucing it. In this case, the 1 Clove of Garlic is good for the bottle of Passata and you get the extra Garlic punch from the Garlic Butter. Use Aioli, which also works nice for a smooth Garlic Sauce that can be brushed on Pizza Dough. Brushing the crust will promote faster browning.
Finely grate 1–4 cloves of Garlic, or about 20 g or less, to include with the Pizza Sauce.
Fresh Basil Leaves
Fresh Basil Leaves offer up the best flavor. Finely chop or tear about 3-4 Large Basil Leaves and add to the Pizza Sauce. Feel free to add more, since Basil is just exceptional with Tomatoes.
Chop up about 2–3 sprigs of Oregano Leaves, or use about 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp of Dried Oregano.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Good Quality Cold Pressed EVOO added at an amount of about 6 %. This works out to about 3 Tbl per 680 ml of Passata.
Optionally, you can add less Oil to the Passata Pizza Sauce and use some instead to drizzle over the Pizza.
Use about .7 % – 1 % of Fine Sea Salt. This works out to about 4.76 g – 6.8 g or about 1 tsp of Sea Salt per 680 ml of Passata.
Add Black Pepper to taste, about 1/4 tsp or more. Red Chili Flakes can also be added in to taste or sprinkled on top of the Pizza.
How to make Passata Pizza Sauce
It’s as simple as adding in all the ingredients and mixing well. Use for your Pizzas and refrigerated for 1 – 3 days. Freeze the Pizza Sauce in a Tupperware container or Ziploc bag for longer storage.
Passata Pizza Sauce
- 1 Tupperware Bowl
- 1×680 ml Mutti Passata
- 4 Large Basil Leaves - Finely chopped or torn
- 3 Tbl EVOO
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Sprigs Oregano - about 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 Clove Garlic - Finely grated
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper - or more to taste
- Place all ingredients into a Bowl and mix well.
- Use on Pizzas and refrigerate between 1–3 days, or freeze for longer storage.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more