Try Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your own.
The most amount of time in preparing this recipe is the Mexican Rice and Refried Beans, if making them from scratch. However once these are made up, the portion sizes are enough to make plenty of Taco Burritos. Which is pretty good if you’re meal planning and making a bunch of Taco Burritos up to freeze, they make for a great snack this way.
Taco Burritos are also a good follow up meal, using leftover Mexcian Rice and canned Refried Beans or leftover Refried Beans.
Toast only one side until bubbly, if you plan on toasting the Burritos Crispy in the pan or grill. Otherwise, toast both sides to assemble and consume or wrap in tin foil to heat through in the oven.
Large Flour Tortillas
The Flour Tortilla size to use for Burritos is about 10–12 inches.
Both a Homemade Taco Seasoning or using Old El Paso Taco Seasoning will work to flavor the meat that good old Taco Flavor.
Combine 1/2 C of Water with 1 lb of thawed Ground Beef and mix well. Then cook over max heat while mixing until all the water is gone. Add in 2/3 C Tomato Juice and 1 Old El Paso Taco Seasoning. Mix and cook until thick.
For a quick version of this, just use the canned Refried Beans or Whole Beans. If you want to try your hand at making Refried Beans from scratch, check out my recipe for Refried Beans. Which can be done with both Pinto or Black Beans.
Adjust the consistency of the Refried Beans by cooking it down until thicker or adding more water to thin out.
Mexican Rice can be prepared the same time that the Refried Beans are made and set aside until ready to assemble the Taco Burritos. Sometimes I include diced Peppers.
Taco Burritos is a great follow up meal using leftover Mexican Rice. If making this from scratch then it will take about 40 minutes to be ready. 10 minutes browning the Rice, 20 minutes to simmer, followed by a 10 minutue rest.
- 2 C Long Grain Rice
- 1/4 C Lard
- 1 Med Onion – Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic – Minced
- 2 C Water
- 2 Cubes Bouillon
- 1 C Tomato Juice
- 1/2 Tbl Sea Salt
- 2 Tbl Lemon or Lime Juice
- 2 Tbl Pimento Paste – Sweet or Hot
Red Taco Sauce
This is a Tangy Red Taco Sauce in the same style as Taco Bell’s Red Taco Sauce and is excellent for a burst of Flavors in Tacos, Quesadillas, and here for Burritos. It’s the flavor blend of Red Taco Sauce & Sour Cream with that Taco Seasoned Meat that just makes the flavors come together.
It’s quick and easy to make too. Just throw everything into a pot and bring to a boil until it thickens. Set aside to cool down.
Red Taco Sauce
- 1 C Tomato Juice
- 1 Tbl Cornstarch
- 1 Tbl Ketchup
- 1 Tbl Taco Seasoning – More or less depending on taste.
- 1/2 Tbl Vinegar – More or less depending on taste.
- 1 tsp Sugar – More or less depending on taste.
- 1 tsp Neutral Oil
Added Vegetables are optional and can include either jarred Salsa, Homemade Salsa or Pico De Gallo or just diced Tomatoes & Onions, maybe with a minced Jalapeño or Serrano Pepper for some heat and some Cilantro. You can also just do diced Onions with Cilantro.
Tomatoes & Onions
Just dice Tomatoes & Onions and add them to the Burritos.
With Garlic & Peppers
Add some minced Garlic and diced Pepper to the diced Tomatoes & Onions.
Pico De Gallo
Pico De Gallo is just awesome to use by itself or some of it used and pureed or finely chopped to add to mashed Avaocados for homemade Guacamole.
A Delicious Homemade Salsa can be made rather quickly.
Add a bit of Sour Cream for a Creaminess and to lift the flavors a bit. This pairs up so well with the Red Taco Sauce.
You can also place the Sour Cream in a squeeze bottle so that it can be drizzled over the Taco Seasoned Beef and Cheese.
Add in some Guacamole! Either Store Bought or Homemade. In fact, if you’re making Pico De Gallo, then you can just remove some Pico De Gallo to mince and add to the mashed Guacamole as coarse or smooth as desired for Homemade Guacamole. Adjust the acidity with added Lime or lemon juice and a bit of Salt for Seasoning.
Add some Guacamole on top of the Rice before adding the Taco Seasoned Beef.
If using Sour Cream in a Squeeze bottle, then the Guacamole can be spread on the top half of the Tortilla instead of the Sour Cream.
Use any one of the Cheeses below or blend together certain cheese like Taco Bell. They I believe use both a Two & Three blend Cheese mixture.
Two Blend Cheese Mixture; consist of Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese.
Three Cheese Blend; adds the addition of Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese to the two cheese blend.
You can include either the two or three blend with Cheese Whiz Sauce or Nacho Cheese Whiz Sauce. Although the Nacho Cheese Whiz Sauce already contains heat, so you may want to tone the Monterey Jack or skip it altogether depending on your heat preference.
Tex Mex Cheese
This is an excellent blend for Burritos.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Use just shredded Cheddar or combine with Monetary Jack Cheese.
Cheese Whiz Sauce or Nacho Cheese
Any of your shredded cheeses can be added to thicken the sauce and give more of a cheese flavor.
Or you can just add shredded cheese to the Burritos and drizzle the Cheese Whiz or Nacho Cheese on top.
Taco Beef Burrito Assembly
- From the center of the Tortilla and down spread Refried Beans.
- Top with Mexican Rice
- Drizzle Red Taco Sauce over the Rice
- Add any Vegetables if desired
- Add Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
- Top with Cheese
- Spread Sour Cream directly on the Tortilla just above the filling
- Roll the Burrito
Single Taco Burrito
This is a Double Burrito made by overlapping 2 Tortillas that have been toasted on both sides. Wrapped in Tin Foil and warmed in the oven to assist in heating the filling through and melting the cheese.
How to toast Burritos
Place a pan over medium heat and let it heat up. Then add the Burrito seam side down first to toast and keep the Burrito sealed. Then flip it over to toast, just a few seconds. Turn it to the sides to toast. Once the pan is hot, it doesn’t take too long to toast the Burritos, so keep an eye on them.
Toast the bottom side first to seal it. Then Flip over and toast the top, followed by the sides. It doesn’t take too long to toast them up.
Once toasted wrap in tin foil or waxed paper.
How to Grill Burritos
Place the Burritos seam side down in a Hot Grill and cook to your liking, just a few minutes.
For extra Crispy Taco Burritos, add a bit of Beef Suet, Lard or Neutral Oil to the skillet over medium heat and let it get hot to toast the Burritos, just a few seconds.
If grilling, brush the Burrito with melted Fat or use a Neutral oil before grilling.
- 1 Skillet
- 4 Bowls
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 C Water or Broth
- 2 Tbl Beef Suet - or Lard
- 2/3 C Tomato Juice
- 1 pack Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- Prepare the Red Taco Sauce & Refried Beans or use the store bought for quick and easy. Prepare the Mexican Rice, which will take about 40 minutes, or leftover Mexican Rice can be used. Set aside the Red Taco Sauce, Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, along with the Cheese so that it is at room temp when assembling the Burritos.
- In a skillet, add the Ground Beef with 1/2 C Water and mix well until completely absorbed. Add in the Beef Suet or Lard. Then turn the heat to max and cook while mixing and breaking down until the water is gone. Add the Tomato Juice along with the Taco Seasoning and mix well. Continue to cook until thick, then remove from heat and empty into a bowl to set aside. Clean out the skillet and return it to medium heat.
- Toast each Tortilla until bubbly, only on one side if you plan on toasting or grilling the Burritos. Else, Toast both side to assemble without toasting the Burritos.
- Burrito Assembly; Place the Tortilla down, toasted side facing up. From the center of the Tortilla and down spread Refried Beans.Top with Mexican RiceDrizzle Red Taco Sauce over the RiceAdd any Vegetables if desired, including GuacamoleAdd Taco Seasoned Ground BeefTop with CheeseSpread Sour Cream directly on the Tortilla just above the fillingRoll the Burritos with the seam facing down.
- Transfer to the skillet over medium to medium low heat to toast while covered. Watch it here, they only take a few seconds to toast each side. For Extra Crispy, add a bit of fat to the pan.Once browned and crisp to your liking, wrap the Burritos in tin foil or waxed paper to keep warm. The heat retention will also help to blend the flavors and melt the cheese. You can also skip the toasting or grilling and just go straight to wrapping them for consumption or placing them on a baking sheet to warm through while wrapped in tin foil before serving.
Burrito CheeseJust shredded Cheddar Cheese or the Tex Mex Cheese can be used for these Burritos or 2-3 Cheese blend with or without the Cheese Whiz or Nacho Cheese Whiz Sauce. Two Blend Cheese Mixture; Consist of Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese. Three Cheese Blend; adds the addition of Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese to the two cheese blend. You can include either the two or three blend with Cheese Whiz Sauce or Nacho Cheese Whiz Sauce. Although the Nacho Cheese Whiz Sauce already contains heat, so you may want to tone the Monterey Jack or skip it altogether depending on your heat preference.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…