Wondering what to do with leftover Carnitas Meat. Make Delicious Crispy Homemade Fries with Gravy and Cheese, loaded with Carnitas Meat for this crazy good and fulfilling Carnitas Poutine. Top it off with Diced Tomatoes & Onions. It’s a Fantastic Recipe for leftover Carnitas Meat.
Prepare the Homemade Fries so that they are ready to go and Deep Fry when putting together this dish.
These fries are super crunchy and just awesome. They take about 45 minutes to an hour to bake in the oven and then an additional 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to brine. You can of course use store bought fries as well or use previously made Homemade Fries that are frozen. When making Homemade Fries I usually make bulk batches and freeze for occasions like this. It’s a very good way to use up potatoes that would otherwise sit around and go soft.
If you do end up making the Homemade fries. I apologize in advance because these will make an addict out of you and if you’re already addicted then you will be on these for good.
These fries really are exceptional and a must try and you can adjust the seasoning. Less salty use less salt, more salty use more salt, on the sweet side add sugar, some additional flavors add Broth Powder, Umami add MSG, Malty use Malt Vinegar instead of white Vinegar.
For the Gravy I used Pork Broth with rendered Pork Fat, Thickened with Flour. I add a bit of Barley Flour on top of the Flour used in the recipe. I find that Barley Flour adds a bit of taste that I like but it doesn’t have any real thickening power.
Take some Pork fat Trimmings you might have saved and render the fat out. Let the Fat cool before making the Gravy. If you don’t have pork Fat to render then you can use Lard or a mix of Lard/Oil and Butter when making the gravy.
Heat the Fat up over medium heat and add the Flour. Mix well and cook for a few minutes or until brown. Add in the Pork Broth or any other Broth you would like to use, a little at a time, and bring to boil to thicken. Reduce the heat and allow to cook for a few minutes. Keep Warm while you deep fry the french Fries and warm the Carnitas Meat up.
Add more Broth or use more Flour mixed with equal amounts of Broth to adjust the consistency the way you like.
I had leftover Carnitas meat to use for this dish. The next time you make carnitas use the leftover meat for this recipe.
I like to use Pork Shoulder when they are on sale. This way there is plenty of leftovers for recipes like this one. You can make numerous recipes from one Pork Shoulder and when they go on sale it’s one of the cheapest meats to pick up that can be used cooked and then portioned for a variety of dishes. From one Pork Shoulder were talking, Carnitas, Pizza, Poutine, Soups & Stews, Casseroles, Quesadillas, and probably leftover meat for other recipes.
I use a Mixed Cheese Blend of High Moisture Mozzarella Cheese by Saputo’s mixed with Provolone Cheese at a ratio of 3:1. This is shredded and added to the Hot Fries before the gravy goes on. I find this cheese to be the best.
Carnitas Poutine Add Ins
- Small amount of Red Taco Sauce or Ketchup to the Gravy or Sriracha Sauce, Chili Sauce.
- Season the meat with Taco Seasoning
- Chopped Onions and Tomatoes and/or Peppers, Corn.
- Add some Mexican Cheeses!
- 4 portions Left Over Carnitas Meat
- 4 portions French Fries or Homemade Fries - – Homemade French Fries
- Mixed Mozzarella Cheese Blend as desired
- 2 C Pork Broth
- 2 Tbl Rendered Fat
- 2 Tbl Flour
- 2 Tbl Barley Flour – optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Render some Pork Fat over medium heat and let cool before making the gravy or use Lard or a Mix of Lard and Butter. In a Sauce Pan add 2 Tbl Fat and Warm up. Add the Flour and mix and cook until Light Brown. Turn the heat to medium high and slowly add in the Broth while mixing. Bring to Boil, Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Adjust the Seasoning and keep warm while you prepare the Fries.
- Place Carnitas meat in the Oven at 250 F to keep warm and Deep Fry the French Fries until done.
- Plate the Fries, a generous portion of Carnitas Meat and Cheese with any other desired toppings. Pour Gravy over Top and Garnish.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more