Taco Seasoned Chicken
Taco Seasoned Chicken is a Simple and Flavorful Dish prepared Shake & Bake Style that will surely satisfy your taste buds. This delectable recipe is incredibly easy to prepare and bursting with Mexican-inspired flavors. It’s made in the same way as the Shake and Bake Chicken recipe, except Taco Seasoning is used.
To complete your Taco Seasoned Chicken Dinner, serve it alongside some delicious sides. Think of warm Corn on the Cob, flavorful Mexican Rice, or a refreshing Avocado & Tomato salsa. You can even strip the meat off the bone and serve on some Toasted Tortillas with Sour Cream, Salsa or Pico de Gallo and Cheese.
So, next time Taco Tuesday rolls around, make this Taco Seasoned Chicken the star of your dinner table. Its bold flavors and simplicity will leave you craving more. Enjoy, and Make that Belly Smile!
For this Shake and Bake style Taco Chicken, we are after Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Once they are cleaned and trimmed of any excess skin or fat, place into a bowl of Water or Oil to toss and strain. This will moisten the chicken, so the coating can stick better.
Separate the Leg from the Thigh, or just use Thighs and/or Legs.
Cleaning Chicken Thighs
Clean out the Internal organs from the Thigh backbone section for a cleaner tasting Chicken.
Either Old El Paso Taco seasoning or a Homemade Taco seasoning can be used. For this recipe, I use my own blend of Taco Seasoning. But have made this dish with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning, quite a few times, usually for comparison to my own Taco Seasoning.
Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
One pack will do about 8 pieces shake & Bake Style, depending on size.
You can also just season the Chicken directly with just the Taco Seasoning. Although it will only be enough to do about 4 pieces.
Shake and Bake Taco Chicken Coating
For a Shake & Bake Taco Chicken, combine 1 Pack of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning with the below ingredients to make the Shake & Bake Taco Chicken Coating.
- 2 Tbl of Corn Flour – can be substituted with Flour or Cornstarch
- 2 tsp of Sea Salt to account for added Corn Flour and so the Chicken is sufficiently seasoned.
Keto Shake and Bake Taco Chicken Coating
For a Keto version, replace the Corn Flour with Lupin Flour and the 1 pack of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning with a Homemade Taco Seasoning (about 2-3 Tbl), that doesn’t contain Starch, Flour or Sugar and only about 1 tsp or less of Salt.
- 2 Tbl of Lupin Flour
- 2 tsp of Sea Salt
Shake and Bake Taco Chicken
Process the Chicken the same way you would with Shake & Bake. Moisten the Chicken by placing into a bowl with water or a little bit of oil to toss and coat. Place Chicken pieces one at a time in a bowl with the seasoning to coat, shake and coat well, then shake off any excess. Place in a casserole tray or broiler pan. Repeat for each piece.
Taco Shake and Bake Chicken
Chicken Legs & Thighs coated in Taco Shake and Bake coating.
Brushing the Chicken with fat
With Shake and Bake Taco Chicken, most times the Taco Coating will cook on the Chicken with dry spots. To eliminate this, brush the Chicken with a bit of fat from the drippings halfway through baking. Cover the whole top of the Chicken pieces to eliminate any dry spots and assist in crisping even further. If there isn’t enough drippings, then brush with melted lard, butter, or neutral oil. This will promote a better skin and flavor than not brushing at all.
Taco Shake and Bake Chicken
With a Brush, Dab with Drippings or Fat halfway through cooking at about 20 – 25 minutes.
You can even strip the meat off the bone and serve on some Toasted Tortillas with Sour Cream, Salsa or Pico de Gallo and Cheese.
Just toast up some small tortillas over medium heat and assemble with your favorite condiments.
Chicken Tacos with Stripped Taco Chicken meat, Sour Cream, diced Onions & Tomatoes.
Taco Seasoned Chicken Side Dishes
Even a Salad or Taco Seasoned Fries. Just Fry the Fries and toss in the desired amount of Taco seasoning to toss well before plating.
Corn on the Cob
Corn on the Cob coated in Butter or butter popcorn seasoning.
Mexican Rice can be prepared stove top at the same time the Chicken is cooking.
Taco Seasoned Chicken
- 1 Broiler Pan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Small Bowl and Brush for brushing the chicken with fat halfway through
- 4 Chicken Quarters - thigh and leg separated
- 1 Pack Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tbl Corn Flour
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 F with the rack in middle position. Combine the Corn Flour, Sea Salt and Taco Seasoning into a bowl and mix.
- Clean out the internal organs from the chicken backbone and trim the Chicken. Moisten the Chicken with Water or Oil. Toss each piece in the bowl with coating to coat the chicken. Remove and shake off any excess and place on the broiler pan. Repeat for each piece.
- Bake the Chicken for 25 minutes. Brush the Chicken with drippings or if there is not enough drippings, with a bowl of melted fat like butter, lard or neutral oil. Bake another 20 minutes. After 45 minutes, shut the heat off, but leave the Chicken in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes before serving.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more