BBQ Hot Dog
The Classic BBQ Hot Dog. These Doggies get cooked and then topped with BBQ Sauce. Placed into a Steamed and/or Toasted Bun and topped with extra goodies that pair up with the BBQ Sauce wonderfully.
The Fillings are Bacon Bits with Sautéed Diced Onion & Swiss Cheese Strips. I don’t know what it is about this combination that just seems to pair so well with BBQ Sauce. But it absolutely a perfect blend of flavors.
The Hot Dogs can be BBQ/Grilled, stove top, Air Fried, Oven Baked, or cooked in a Panini Grill until the outside is crisped up. This recipe outlines how I make BBQ Hot Dogs at Home using the Stove top and air fryer. No matter how you cook the Hot Dogs, these are served with Fried Crisp Hot dogs on a Steamed & Toasted Bun.
JAH Meat Oil
While completely optional. The Meat Oil is used to brush over the Hot Dogs and imparts a slightly smokey taste. While assisting in cooking the hot dogs, or a small amount added to the frying pan for frying the hot dogs.
Add the Hot dogs to a frying pan with a small amount of water over max heat. Place a pizza screen on top. Lay the buns down, and cover in order to steam them while the hot dogs boil a bit. Steam the buns until very soft, set them aside.
Boiling the hot dogs is optional. You can just steam the buns and then go straight to frying the hot dogs.
Empty the water out, reduce the heat to medium and add some fat or Meat oil. Fry the Hot dogs until the desired level of crispness. Place them into the Hot Dog Buns.
Optionally, towards the end of frying the hot dogs, you can add some BBQ Sauce and fry a bit to create a lacquer on the hot dogs. I choose to leave them plain so that a variety of BBQ Sauces can be used to top the Hot Dogs off based on preferences.
Fried Onions & Bacon
Chop up the Bacon into small bits and dice or slice the Onions. Place the Bacon into the Skillet you just removed the Hot Dogs from and fry until crisp over medium heat. Add the Onions and shut the heat off. Toss around until the Onions are softened. Top the Hot Dogs after laying down the strips of Swiss Cheese.
You can also just place it into a serving bowl for people to choose to add it to their hot dogs or not.
Slice the Swiss Cheese into strips and top the Hot Dogs. Other kinds of cheese can be used here, but the Swiss Cheese works really well with BBQ Sauces and Toppings, as does Monterey Jack Cheese.
Hot Dog Buns
The Hot Dog buns are steamed, stuffed, and topped before being toasted in the oven at 450 F for 5 minutes or in the Air Fryer at 400 F for a few minutes or until the desired level of toastiness. This also assists in melting the cheese and further softening the Onions and crisping the Bacon.
This is my preferred way of having the BBQ Hot Dogs. I just love the Soft and Light Bun with some Toastiness to it.
Butter and Steam the Buns and serve them like this for a Steamie BBQ Hot Dog.
Butter and Toast the Buns and serve them like this for a Toastie BBQ Hot Dog.
BBQ Hot Dog Sauce
After the Hot Dogs have been fried, placed into the Steamed buns, topped, and cooked until toasted, add your favorite BBQ Sauce on top. Layout the different BBQ Sauces, so your guests can choose their favorite or choose one of the below Barbeque Sauces.
Add some Hellmanns Mayo with the BBQ Sauce!
BBQ Hot Dog
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Pizza Screen
- 1 Cover
- 4 Hot Dogs
- 4 Buttered Hot Dog Buns
- 1 Tbl JAH Meat Oil
- 4 Strips Bacon
- 1 Slice Swiss Cheese - Sliced into 8 strips
- 1 Med Onion - Diced
- Your Choice BBQ Sauce
- Place the Hot Dogs in the Skillet with a bit of water over max heat. Place the Pizza Screen on top so that you can steam the hot dog buns, Cover with a lid that allows room for the buns. Steam the buns until soft.
- Set the Steamed Buns aside, empty the water out, add some fat or meat oil to the skillet and fry the hot dogs over medium heat until the desired level of doneness. Place the Hot Dogs inside the Buns.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in the skillet you just removed the hot dogs from until crispy. Shut the heat off and add the onions. Mix around and cook with the residual heat until softened.
- Place 2 Strips of Swiss Cheese on the Hot Dogs and top with the Bacon & Onions.
- Place the Hot Dogs into a preheated oven at 450 F to toast for 5 minutes or into the Air Fryer at 400 F for a few minutes or until the desired level of toastiness.Drizzle your Favorite BBQ Sauce over top & Enjoy.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…