A Toastie is a Toasted/Fried or Grilled Hot Dog in a Toasted Hot Dog Bun. It refers to the cooking method, more so for the bun. Some places will serve the hot dog with one cook method and the Bun as a Toastie or a Steamie.
Another variation called the Wink Doggie is a cooked Hot Dog on a Piece of Buttered Bread on the outside or on both sides. Folded over with a toothpick to hold it in place and baked in the oven to toast the bread up.
It’s preferable to use Fresh Squared Bread. Optionally you can add a cheese slice. Bake in the oven at 450 F until golden brown nice and toasty.
If the Bread is not the freshest, then steaming it first will make it more pliable to fold over without breaking.
Hot Dog Types
There are many Hot Dog types and you can pick up and use any kind you like. There are even cured varieties of Hot Dogs. However, on the East Coast, the brand to pick up is Larsens Hot Dogs. These are only sold on the east coast I believe. Shopsys is another good brand of hot dogs that I like.
Hot Dogs are precooked before packaging and only need to be reheated thoroughly before consuming.
Cooking the Hot Dogs
The Toastie more so refers to the Cooking process of the Bun but can be applied to the Hot Dog as well.
To Pan Fry Hot Dogs. Place Hot Dogs in a Skillet over medium heat and cook until browned and crisp with a bit of Oil, Butter, Animal Fat such as Beef Suet or Bacon Grease.
Alternatively, you can place the Hot Dogs on a tin foiled Baking sheet and cook in the oven at 400 F for about 10-15 minutes. Optionally Broil to crisp a bit. This technique is useful for larger gatherings.
You can also combine both techniques (Steamed, then Fried) by Boiling or steaming the Hot Dogs then frying them up. This way is a favorite of ours.
Toastie Hot Dog Buns
For Toasted Hot Dog Buns. Brush the Buns with Butter and either Toast in a skillet over medium heat open-faced down or place into the oven on broil open-faced up until toasted.
Optionally prepare the hot dog any way you’d like and then place it into the bun and pop the hot Dog into a preheated oven at 450 F to toast up about 5 minutes.
There is also a Kind of Hot Dog Bun that is flat on both sides which is excellent for Toasties. Simply Brush with Butter and Fry in the pan until toasted on both sides.
Top these off with anything you desire to create a wide variety of Doggies. However, in Quebec which is where the terms Steamie and Toastie originate from, there are three main Doggies.
The All dressed version popular in Montreal is dressed in Mustard and Chopped Onions with Plain chopped Cabbage or Coleslaw or Sauerkraut can be used. Ketchup & Relish can be added.
Topped with Spaghetti or Chili Sauce with or without chopped Onions
The Supreme Doggie is topped with Cheese & Bacon.
Toastie Dressed with Ketchup & Mustard with HP Sauce. The HP Sauce on a Doggie is really something else. If you never have, you really must try it.
However, you like your hot dogs. A nice Toastie is good to have once in a while. Top with your favorite Sauce & Toppings.
- 1 Hot Dog
- 1 Buttered Hot Dog Bun
- With a Skillet over Medium Heat. Toast the Buttered Hot Dog Buns Open Faced until toasted. If you have the Straight Hot Dog Buns. Then Butter both sides and fry the outside of the Buns.
- Add a bit of Fat and Fry the Hot Dog for about 5 minutes or until nice and crisp. Optionally you can boil or steam the hot dogs before frying.
- Place the Hot Dog in the Bun and Top with your Favorite Sauce & Toppings.
- Iced CappEnjoy a Creamy Cold Refreshing Iced Capp at home any time. It’s a Coffee on Ice with additional ingredients to get those unique Flavors. I am still messing around with the ratios. But find this to be pretty close to Tim Hortons Iced Capp. Tim…
- Pasta PitasPasta Pitas are just something else! Brushed with Garlic Butter & sauced with Pasta Meat Sauce. Topped with torn Provolone Cheese for a Deliciously Greasy Treat. Oven baked, garnished and served. These are a very convenient snack right after making some Pasta Sauce using the…
- Pasta SauceRagu style Pasta Sauce simmered for 2 hours or more to develop the concentrated flavors for your favorite Pasta dishes. Made from Tomatoes & Juice, Soffritto, Tomato Paste, with a nice blend of Herbs & Spices and a lot of Basil. Resulting in a Delicious…