JFC Butterfly Shrimp
Introducing the Deep Fried JFC Butterfly Shrimp! Marinated Butterfly Shrimp battered in JFC Breading and deep-fried until Golden Crisp. Serve it up with some Fries and Dipping Sauce to turn this into a JFC Shrimp Platter.
Purchase deveined medium to jumbo size shrimp, about 1 lbs worth. Place into a bowl with cold water for a few minutes until they are thawed and peel the shells off. Leaving the Tail still attached or not.
Butterfly Shrimp is simply the Backside that has been cut a bit deeper but not all the way through. Usually used when deep-frying shrimp to create a bit more surface area for the coating and with a quick and even cook time. The Shrimp can also be butterflied from the belly.
Technically just the shrimp that has been deveined is butterflied just not as deep. The “Butterfly” Shrimp is more of a marketing term for battered and deep-fried shrimp. As is the case for Popeye’s Butterfly Shrimp.
While completely optional, you can slice the shrimp a bit deeper to get a more butterflied shrimp although it isn’t necessary.
JFC Butterfly Shrimp Marinade
The marinade consists of Buttermilk, an Egg, and the JFC Breading for seasoning with some Sriracha Sauce and Sugar.
The Buttermilk assists in browning. As milk will always brown the food when it is deep-fried. For Shrimp, this is exactly what we want because of the quick cook time.
For a Spicy addition add in more Sriracha Sauce to the marinade.
It’s important that the marinade has some thickness to it. Almost like a Popeye’s Chicken marinade or a thin pancake consistency.
This causes all of those tiny crevices over the surface area as the Flour Breading is applied and it folds in on itself creating a bunch of peaks.
Depending on the consistency of the buttermilk. Whether you use Buttermilk or Water & Buttermilk Powder or even make your own buttermilk with 1 Cup of Milk and 1 Tbl of Lemon Juice, Add in more JFC Breading as needed to achieve the correct consistency.
JFC Butterfly Shrimp Breading
Scoop all of the Shrimp out with a Spider and immediately place it into the breading. Toss to coat with the breading. Don’t press the breading in as this will flatten out the breading and we really want those crevices.
Just toss the shrimp gently, in enough JFC Breading that each piece gets coated well and is dry.
Deep Frying JFC Butterfly Shrimp
Deep Frying Shrimp only takes 2 minutes or longer for the Jumbo Shrimp. With the JFC Breading, you want to get good color so the deep frying temp is set to 350 F. The same you would do for Wings, Popcorn chicken, or smaller cuts of meats.
Once you have the shrimp battered. Place them into the Deep Fryer Basket and lower them all at once into the oil.
You’re looking to cook them until they start to curl up but not curled up so much that they form an O shape. This would indicate that they are overcooked.
They will continue to cook as they rest from the residual heat.
JFC Butterfly Shrimp Dipping Sauce
Our favorite is Sweet Thai Chili Sauce which you can buy in bottles at your local supermarket. Used as a dip standalone or mixed with Mayo.
Other Dipping sauces include Tartar Sauce, Cocktail Sauce, Buffalo Sauce, Ranch Dressing with/without Creole Seasoning, and others.
Mayo & Sriracha
Add Sriracha Sauce to some Mayo as desired for a dipping Sauce.
JAH Garlic Butter Oil
This is very good for a garlicky kick to the Shrimp.
Deep fry some Fries up to make this a Shrimp Platter. I usually just use the store-bought French Fries. However, if you have time then the homemade french fries are exceptionally good.
Optionally Season the Fries with Cajun/Creole Seasoning. With a side of Spicy Ketchup. Just combine Sriracha Sauce with Ketchup to your liking.
- Deep Fryer
- 1 lbs Shrimp – Medium to Jumbo Size
- 1 C JFC Breading – or more if needed
- 1 C Buttermilk – See Notes for Substitutes
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbl JFC Breading – or as needed to adjust for consistency
- 1 Tbl Sriracha Sauce – or more for Spicy
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Place the Shrimp in a Bowl of Water and thaw completely. This will only take a few minutes. Peel the Shrimp. Leave the Tail piece on or not and optionally slit the back a bit more for a deeper butterfly Shrimp. Place the Shells into a Ziploc bag and freeze for other recipes.
- Combine the Marinade ingredients and marinade the shrimp on the counter while the deep fryer comes to temp at 350 F.
- Scoop out the Shrimp with a Spider and throw into a bowl with the JFC Breading. Toss the Shrimp around so that all pieces get coated. Do not press the breading into the Shrimp.
- Deep Fry the Shrimp for 2 minutes or longer for Jumbo Shrimp. Set aside and let rest.
- Either use 1 Cup of Water or Milk with 4 Tbl of Buttermilk Powder or
- 1 Cup of Milk with 1 Tbl of Lemon Juice.