The Donair Platter or Donair Poutine is Fries, sliced thin Donair Meat, Tomatoes & Onions with Donair Sauce and Cheese on top. Usually garnished off with more diced Tomato & Onions, sometimes with Lettuce and more Donair Sauce.
The recipe below is the Halifax Style Donair Platter or Donair Poutine. I grew up eating these and often return to this dish once every so often.
This recipe uses a JAH Product – JAH Halifax Donair Spice
Make in advance the Donair meat or if you’ve made a big batch for Donairs, use the leftovers for this Donair Platter. Use JAH Halifax Donair Spice to make the Donair meat, or you can pick up the Donair meat at your Local Cash & Carry.
JAH Halifax Donair Meat
About 100 g or 1/4 lb. of Donair meat or more is used for each portion.
You can make the basic Donair recipe found in my Donair Meat Post under Standard Donair Meat and outlined below. But it is a basic one. It will do the trick, but not as good as Halifax Style Donair Meat.
The Standard Base Seasoning is 1 tsp per lbs of Ground Meat with the exception of Cayenne Pepper which is 1/8 tsp and upwards. Some only use 1/2 tsp Garlic & Onion per 1 lb of meat. You can start with 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, Onion & Garlic, and 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper and then up it based on your preference. Some use Italian Seasoning or Za’atar in place of Oregano. MSG is almost always added in restaurant versions.
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
Donair Meat always has some kind of Binder in it. The Binders seem to be different in various recipes. Bread Crumbs, about 1/4 C per lb of Meat or a couple of tsp Flour and/or Eggs. There are a few other things that contribute to the Binding. Salt being one of them.
The original old style Donairs used bread crumbs. Nowadays Soy Protein, Sodium Phosphate are used for binding and to create Juicy Meat by retaining moisture.
Prepare the Donair Sauce in advance as well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Longer for better results.
A 1/2 C or more is used per portion, with more optionally added on top after it has been cooked.
Made with Evaporated Canned Milk, Vinegar, Sugar, Onion & Garlic Powder.
Air Fryer Fries
Store bought Fries tossed in Oil and Air Fried for about 25 – 30 minutes with frequent tossing after the initial 15 minutes.
Tomatoes & Onions
Add diced Tomatoes & Onions to the Donair Poutine, either with the poutine to cook or after it has been cooked, or both. Optionally add more Donair Sauce over top and some lettuce.
Tomato & Onion
Dice up the Tomatoes and Onions and place into a bowl to wash under cold water and strain. Add them into the Donair Poutine or on Top after the Donair Platter has cooked.
Mozza Provolone Cheese
The type of cheese blend makes a world of difference. It’s basically a Cheese mix of High Moisture Mozzarella. The kind used in restaurants and Provolone Cheese, at a ratio of 3:1. It is phenomenal not only with this dish but with everything I have tested it on so far. This includes Pizza’s, Casseroles, Garlic Fingers, Lasagna, and other dishes.
Usually just Mozzarella Cheese is used. But introduce that shredded Provolone, and you’ll be glad you did. It just adds so much. Add about 1 Cup or more for each portion.
Saputo Mozzarella Cheese
Run it through a food processor to shred.
Mozza & Provolone
To make this, shred Mozzarella Cheese and Place 3 Cups into a freezer bag. Then Shred the Provolone Cheese and add to the freezer bag 1 Cup. Toss and mix well for even distribution and freeze.
Both the leftover mozzarella and Provolone Cheese can be placed into separate freezer bags to freeze too.
Donair Platter Cookware
Au Gratin Dish
Build the Donair Poutine in a single serve Au Gratin dish.
For the true Halifax experience, build it in a round tinfoil bowl about 2 inches high.
How to make a Halifax Donair Platter
The Halifax Donair Platter is traditionally served in a tin bowl. Filled with Fries, Onions & Tomatoes, Donair Sauce, Donair Meat, and Cheese. I use that Cheese blend of Mozzarella & Provolone. Baked and topped with Onions, Tomatoes, and sometimes Lettuce if desired with more Donair Sauce.
If starting this from scratch, start the Donair Meat and the Donair Sauce the day before. The next day, it will take about 1 hour to cook the donair meat. Another hour to let it cool, slice thin and reheat.
With the Donair meat cooked and sliced thin and the Donair Sauce refrigerated for at least 1 hour and the Cheese blend prepared. You’re ready to make some Donair Platters.
Either Deep Fry or Air Fry the French Fries. While the Fries are cooking, dice the Tomatoes & Onions and place them into a bowl. Wash well and strain the water out. Then it’s time to assemble the Donair Poutine. Preheat the oven to broil with the rack in middle position.
Build the Donair Poutine
- Place 1/2 lb. of fresh cooked Fries into the Dish
- Top off with about 100 g or more of Donair Meat
- Add some diced Onions & Tomatoes.
- Ladle on about 1/2 C Donair Sauce.
- Top with about 1 Cup of Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese Blend.
Place into the Oven and Broil until the Cheese is melted with nice brown spots. About 3 – 5 minutes.
Top off with more fresh diced Onions & Tomatoes if desired. Optionally add more Donair Sauce on top and Garnish with Parsley & Aleppo or Chili Flakes.
Halifax Donair Platter
- 2 Single serve Au Gratin Dishes or Tinfoil Bowl
- 1 Deep Fryer or Air Fryer
- 1 Digital Scale
- Deep Fry or Air Fry the Fries and place into an Au Gratin Dish or Tinfoil bowl.
- Top with diced Onions & Tomatoes, Donair Meat, Donair Sauce and then the Mozzarella Cheese Blend.
- Broil in the oven until cheese is melted, about 3–5 minutes. Add more Sauce, diced Tomatoes, Onions and Lettuce if desired. Garnish with Parsley & Aleppo or Chili Flakes.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more