What makes the Donair Pizza so good? Well for starters it’s the Spicy Seasoned Meat with that Sweet Sauce, that is just an awesome combination. But to combine this into a Pizza and get the best of both worlds. Fantastic!
Then you get that Donair Sauce under the meat that takes on a new texture when cooked. For me, this is sought after. You won’t get that with fake Donair Sauce.
You will elevate this to a whole new level with a Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese Blend. The Cheese is absolutely the best with Donairs. Cheese and then more Donair Sauce to top it all off. Use a Cheese mix of a High Moisture Mozzarella Cheese often used in Restaurants, mixed with Shredded Provolone at a ratio of 3:1.
This recipe uses a JAH Product ~ Halifax Donair Spice. However, a basic recipe for Donairs can also be used. Which is included in this post.
Authentic Halifax Style Donair Pizza
Donair Pizza Ingredients
Make sure you have the following ready to go before assembling the Donair Pizza.
- Donair Meat – cooked and thinly sliced
- Donair Sauce – prepared at refrigerated for at least 1 hour, longer is better.
- Hand Tossed Pizza Dough – any size you want. I am using 610 g.
- Cheese – 3:1 Shredded Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese
- Diced Onions & Tomatoes. Optionally some Lettuce.
- Oven preheated as high as it will go with a pizza stone.
I have my own custom blend, Halifax Donair Spice, to deliver those Halifax Donair Flavors and texture. Prepare the Donair meat and once cooled down, thinly slice.
Even if you don’t have your hands on the Halifax Donair Spice. A simple and basic version can be made up. Below is the standard recipe, with amounts that you can adjust to suit your taste. While not quite the same as you would get from the Halifax Donair Spice or with takeout, it does a pretty good job at replicating the Flavors.
Thinly sliced Donair meat to make the Donair Pizzas.
STANDARD DONAIR RECIPE
There are arguments on whether it is of Greek origin or Lebanese origin. You will find visiting different restaurants that there are subtle differences in what is claimed to be the Halifax Donair.
In general, what makes the Halifax Donair is the Spiced Ground Beef mainly dominant in Garlic & Onion with some Heat and supported by additional Herbs & Spices that support the flavor overall in combination with the Donair Sauce. Which is a Sweet Garlicky Sauce based on evaporated milk. It is served on Lebanese Flat Bread with Diced Onions & Tomatoes.
The Standard base Seasoning is 1 tsp each of the below ingredients per lb. of Ground Beef. With the exception of Cayenne Pepper. Which is 1/8 tsp and upwards. Some only use 1/2 tsp Garlic & Onion per 1 lb. of Beef. You can start with 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, Onion & Garlic, and 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper and then up it based on your preference. Some use Italian Seasoning or Za’atar in place of Oregano or alongside Oregano. A lot of MSG is always added in restaurant versions.
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
Donair Meat always has some kind of Binder in it. In commercial grade Donair Meat this is usually Soy Protein, Soy Protein concentrate or Isolate and/or Wheat Crumbs. Sodium Phosphate is also used for binding and to create a Juicier end product. For at home use, add in 1 Tbl of Flour for Binding.
This is a Sweet Sauce that is served with Donair Meat. Which is really easy to make at home and will be better than any store bought version.
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 – 1 can Sugar – or about 3/4 C – 1 C of Sugar
- 2 Tbl Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
Combine everything together in a bowl except the Vinegar and Whisk until it is frothy and changes to a whiter color. Finally, pour in the Vinegar while whisking for about 12 turns. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, longer is better.
Donair Sauce gets spread out on the Dough and cooked, with more Donair Sauce drizzled over top when the Donair Pizza comes out of the Oven.
Use the Classic Hand Tossed Pizza Dough. This needs a full day at least to age and is prepared and stretched out the same way as a Pizza.
Hand Tossed Pizza Dough
Prepare, shape and stretch out the Pizza dough on a counter with Cornmeal or Flour.
Garlic Crust Donair Pizza
Use the Garlic Spread below brushed on the Dough before saucing will add extra flavor and really up the Garlic taste that pairs up so well. Brush it on generously right out the to edge, including the crust. It will also promote browning of the Crust.
Throw everything into a Jar with a mouth opening large enough to fit an immersion blender in and purée for Aioli. Optionally add in 1/4 tsp – 1 tsp of Lemon Juice. Add 1/2 C of Butter and purée again to make a basic Aioli Garlic Butter.
Aioli Garlic Butter
- 1 Whole head of Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt or 1/2 tsp Butter Popcorn Seasoning
- 1 Cup Neutral Oil
- 1/2 C Butter, added last to purée
With Mozzarella Cheese, you want a high moisture Cheese like Saputo’s for Flavor and Melting Action. Add to this Provolone Cheese and forget about it. Provolone Cheese is just magical with Donair meat, and it also provides Flavor and good melting.
Use a ratio of 3:1 Shredded Mozzarella to Provolone, or 3 Cups of Mozzarella and 1 Cup of Provolone Cheese.
Saputo Mozzarella Cheese
Shred in a food processor and empty 3 Cups into a Freezer bag.
Shred in a food processor and empty 1 Cup into the freezer bag with the Mozzarella Cheese. Mix and toss to evenly distribute.
Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese Blend
Place the Cheese Blend into a freezer bag and use for the Donair Pizza. Any remaining Cheese can be frozen.
Onions & Tomatoes
Diced Onions and Tomatoes can be added and cooked with the Donair Pizza and more sprinkled on top when the Donair Pizza comes out of the oven or just sprinkled on top after the Donair Pizza is cooked.
Diced Onions & Tomatoes
Dice Onions & Tomatoes. Place into a bowl and wash, then drain the water out.
Donair Pizza Toppings under or on top
Place the Donair meat under the Cheese, which protects it from overcooking and drying out.
Place diced Onions & Tomatoes under or on top of the Cheese. Placing it under the Cheese will help keep everything together. More Onions & Tomatoes can be placed on top after the Pizza has cooked. Some will also add lettuce.
Donair Pizza Garnishing
Garnish with diced Tomatoes & Onions along with Lettuce can also be added on top with a drizzle of Fresh Donair Sauce.
Donair Pizza Garnish
Garnish with Parsley and/or Chili Flakes to up the heat a bit.
Instead of the Hand Tossed Pizza Dough, use the Dough for Pitza! These are personal sized and instead of Pizza Toppings, Sauce with Donair Sauce, top with Donair Meat, Diced Tomatoes & Onions and that wonderful Mozza & Provolone Cheese blend.
Prepared Donair Pitza
Place the Pitza Dough on a Pizza Screen or Pan. Both the Raw Dough or previously cooked Naan or Greek Style Pitas can be used.
Fresh out the oven with that Beautiful Aroma. Top it off with more Donair Sauce, Diced Onions & Tomatoes, Parsley, and/or Chili Flakes. Optionally slice in half or into 4.
- 1 Pizza Pan or Screen
- 1 Pizza Stone
- Preheat the Oven the highest it will go, preferably with a Pizza Stone. Prepare the made Pizza Dough by stretching out on Floured or Cornmeal Surface
- Sauce with Donair Sauce and top with Halifax Style Donair Meat. Optionally with Diced Tomatoes & Onions cooked with the Pizza or added at the end. You can do both if you'd like. Then cover with Cheese. Place into oven and cook until done. About 5 – 6 minutes. Optionally broil the top for color if needed.
- Top with more Diced Onions & Tomatoes and optionally Lettuce. Place Donair Sauce in a Squeeze bottle and squeeze across the Donair Pizza. Garnish with Parsley and Aleppo Pepper or Chili Flakes.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…