JAH Halifax Donair Spice
Introducing East Coast inspired JAH Halifax Donair Spice. This is a True Maritime Food and the Official Food of Halifax since 2015.
This custom blend is my interpretation of the Halifax Donair and I got to tell you. This takes me way back triggering memories of the earlier donairs when they were being offered in the Halifax Region.
Greasy, Spicy Slivers of Shaved Meat on a Pita Bread (Lebanese) with Sweet Halifax Donair Sauce, Diced Tomatoes & Onions. Orange Grease drippings falling out while you eat the Donair. It’s enough to make any Haligonian or Maritimer at Home and now it can be made from Home, no matter where you are.
Whether you have moved away and can’t quite find it anymore or just want to make it at home for cheaper but same quality as the restaurants.
JAH Halifax Donair Spice is the Go To Donair Seasoning. Making 5 lbs from one package. Which is 20 Fresh Quarter Pound Donairs.
Final Testing Phase!
Flour, Seasoned Salt, Onion, Garlic, Peppers, Oregano, Monosodium Glutamate, Herbs & Spices.
Contains: Gluten, Mustard
Prepared in a Kitchen that may contain other allergens.
You will Need
1 lbs Medium Ground Beef & 3 Tablespoons of JAH Halifax Donair Spice.
If you want it even spicier add Black Pepper or Cayenne Pepper to your preference. The Flavor and Texture is already there. Optionally you can Season the meat when cooking in the frying pan with additional Heat.
- Mix 3 Tablespoons of Spice for each 1 Lbs ( 454 g) of very Cold Medium or Lean Ground Beef in a food Processor for a couple of minutes or a Dough Mixer fitted with a hook for 10 – 15 minutes. Until it is Paste like and has changed to a duller uniform color.
- Lightly wet your hands and Grab a handful at a time. Shape into compact Patties. Once all the meat has been formed. Combine all of the meat together and throw down on the counter with some force a few times to get all the air out. Shape into a elongated Loaf and wrap in Saran Wrap or place into a grocery bag and wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or more, over night is best.
- Preheat oven to 300 F and place the Donair Meat on a Broiler Pan. Cook until internal temp of 160 F. Flip over half way through. For 1 lbs it is about 50 minutes. Remove from the Oven and let rest. Reserve the Grease that is in the pan to fry the donair meat later.
- Shave/Slice into very thin slices and heat Donair Meat in a frying pan over Max Heat with the Grease Drippings. Place Pita Breads on top or Steam the Pita Breads Separately.
- Sauce the Pita Bread with Donair Sauce, Place the meat on top and add some more Donair Sauce, Diced Onions & Tomatoes.
- Cut the loaf length wise into 1 inch strips and the slice thinly to get shaved donair meat like the restaurants.
- With Lean Ground Meat you can add in about 80 g – 90 g of Beef or Lamb Fat. Freeze the fat and cut into small pieces. Puree until in small pieces before adding in the Meat & Seasoning.
For more Donair Meat uses See Donair Meat Post.
To reach about 160 F internal temp at 300 F
- 1 lbs loaf takes about 50 minutes
- 2 lbs loaf takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes
Donair Meat Portion Size.
- Small Donair = 75 g
- Quarter Pounder = 113 g
- Third Pounder = 151 g
- Half Pounder = 227 g
- One Pounder = 454 g
Meat Mixing Ratios
Use 100 % Ground Beef or cut it with Ground Lamb or Pork at 10 – 20 % based on your preference. Example 363 g of Ground Beef & 91 g of Lamb or Pork for a 1 lbs mix at 20 %.
Hers is a video of the Final Product. It’s not dry, crumbly or breaking apart easily. Look at the way it slices, leaving knife marks in the meat just like the Restaurants when shaving the meat and the juices that seep out, How pliable it is, just like Spicy thin slivers of Steak. Now You know that’s Good!
Store the Seasoning in airtight container in a cool dry place.
Whole Raw or Cooked Loaves can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Freshly Sliced Donair Meat can be portioned and frozen for 2 months after which the flavor and texture start to deteriorate.
Don’t leave the Cooked Sliced Donair meat out for too long, since it is sliced thin, it will dry out fast, especially if not coated in any Sauce or Liquid for moisture.
Check out JAH Donair Meat Post for All the Different ways to use Donair Meat. Halifax Donair Sauce and Homemade Pita Bread as well, to make up your homemade donair. With this you are all set to enjoy Quality Halifax Style Donair at Home and on the Cheap.