You can make Tomato Soup at home quite easily and freeze into 1 C portion to equal the same amount you get in a can. We can make it gluten free and to taste. Use as is for a Soup and Sandwich Combo or as an ingredient for other dishes like GMT.
I tested this side by side Campbell’s and realized that Campbell’s is extremely sweet. While this version is a nice blend of flavors and not too sweet. I believe this Tomato Soup to be far better.
You can pick up a full can of Tomato Juice for the same price as 1 can of Campbell’s Tomato Soup. We always have a supply of Tomato Juice and The large hotel cans of Tomato Paste, Portioned off into 1/2 C and Frozen. There is just too many uses for these 2 items. One of which is right here for Tomato Soup.
Campbell’s Tomato Soup list their ingredients as
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Natural Flavoring, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate, Celery Extract, Garlic Oil.
The Basic Components are Tomato Juice & a Thickener with Body or Volume coming from added Butter and Optionally Milk for a Cream Tomato Soup. Salt, Fat, Sugar, Heat & Acid are key here. In this recipe I use Tomato Paste and Cream of Tartar as well as Gelatin for thickening and mouth feel.
Components of Tomato Soup
In its simplest form it is thickened Tomato Juice. For Bouillon Tomato Soup the addition of Broth is added without or with a roux for thickening.
Tomatoes are the focal point here. Here we can use Tomato Juice, V8 Juice or Tomato Sauce.
Depending on our Tomato Medium we will adjust the Sugar, Salt, Heat, Fat and Acid levels.
The Thickener most commonly used is Flour with Butter to create a roux that will thicken the sauce. However we can use alternatives such as Tomato Paste and/or Potato Starch.
It’s really up to you and your preference. I use the tomato paste as a thickener not only as an alternative to flour but for color as well.
Depending on the acidic level we may want to add more in the form of Citric Acid, Lemon Juice, Vinegars etc… This is to balance out the flavors and give some brightness to the Tomato Soup.
Fat in the form of Ghee, Lard, Beef Suet, Cream, Oil, etc.. give the Tomato Soup Volume and that mouthfeel.
Alternatively we can use Coconut Fat, Olive Oil or any other form of fat.
The Sugar content is to lend some sweetness. Forms of sugar can range from White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, Honey, Molasses, Stevia, Carrots or other form of sugar. You can also achieve a caramelized sweetness from roasting the Tomatoes.
I don’t really need to say much here besides that Salt is needed to bring out the flavors. However I do believe that Kosher Salt or Sea Salt are superior and much better than normal Table Salt.
We’re not looking for spicy here. Just a touch of heat to support the overall seasoning. The Following is a list we can use for heat.
- Black/ White Pepper
- Chili Flakes
- Cayenne Pepper
- Hot Pepper family (Chilies, Jalapeno etc)
- Sichuan Peppercorns
- Sriracha Sauce
- Hot Sauce
You can add any seasonings you prefer however we are not looking to diminish the Tomato Flavor. Instead to support it with Vegetables Herbs & Spices such as the following.
- Bay Leaves
- Vegetable or other Broth Powder
Colonel Sanders Tomato Soup
This soup will not curdle or break.
1 qt. tomato juice
1 oz. onion, sliced very thin
2 oz. margarine or butter
1 1/2 oz. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
3/4 oz. sugar
1 qt. cold milk
Heat juice and onion to boiling – remove the onions. Melt oleo or butter and add the flour. Add to the juice, cook until it thickens. Add the salt, pepper and sugar. Remove from heat and beat in the cold milk. Heat but do not boil.
Tomato Soup Uses
- By itself as a soup with Grilled Cheese or other Sandwich
- Ingredient for Soups, Stews or BBQ Sauce
- Used as the base Sauce for Cabbage Rolls
- Sauce for GMT or Chef Boyardee’s Style Sauce
- Add a tiny amount to Beef Stews
- As a Pizza Sauce with added seasoning and/or Ketchup – This is Greco’s Style Pizza Sauce.
Tomato Soup Variations
- For Bouillon Tomato Soup, add 4 C broth or 4 C Water with 1 Pack Onion Soup Mix.
- For Cream of Tomato Soup add Cream or Milk and Baking Soda instead of the Cream of Tartar and Don’t Boil. This will prevent curling as the Baking soda will neutralize the acid.
- To thicken more, either reduce to thicken and concentrate the flavors or Thicken with Flour or Potato Starch and equal amount of water. Add to the Hot Tomato Soup and whisk.
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 5 C Tomato Juice
- 1/2 C Tomato Paste
- 1/4 C Fat - – Lard, Beef Suet, Ghee,or Oil
- 1 medium Red Onion - – Sliced Thin
- 1-2 Tbl JAH Aioli Recipe - – Optional
- 3 Tbl Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt, Celery Salt & Gelatin
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder & Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Citric Acid - – or Lemon Juice to taste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Combine Thinly Sliced Red Onion with Tomato Juice, Seasoning, and Bay Leaves in a bowl and Set aside.
- In a Large Skillet or Wok on medium heat. Heat the Fat and Tomato Paste. Mix really well until the Tomato Paste absorbs the Fat and cook for a few minutes. Allow it to create a fond on the bottom of the pan. Mixing only a few times and letting it cook until the fat starts separating from the paste.
- When the Fat starts to separate from the Tomato Paste, add the Bowl of Tomato Juice to the Pan and Mix well. Bring to boil and then simmer few minutes. Strain the Sliced Onions and Bay Leaves out.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…