Chicken Noodle Soup
A Brothy, Buttery, and a Slurpishly Good Chicken Noodle Soup. Made with Ramen or Udon Noodles and any cut of Chicken. Makes about 6–8 bowls. With a slice of Buttered Bread and you got that Belly Smiling.
It’s also a solid Soup base to work from. Opening itself up to adjustments in the seasoning itself or adding in additional ingredients as desired. From a Cold Buster Chicken Noodle Soup to a Creamy, Tomato or Hearty Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup. All of which are towards the end of this post.
Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup
Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup is 284 mI with a serving size of 1/2 C for about 2 servings. The Noodles are 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches long. The estimated amount of chicken is about 28 g or 1 ounce.
The instructions state to add 1 can of water to the Chicken Noodle Soup and heat. I always added 1/2 a can or a bit less to get stronger flavors, and find one can is a serving.
Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
CHICKEN BROTH (WATER, CHICKEN STOCK), NOODLES (WHEAT FLOUR, WHOLE EGG), SEASONED CHICKEN (SOY), SALT, CHICKEN FAT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, CORN STARCH, FLAVOUR, ONION POWDER, YEAST EXTRACT, SPICE EXTRACTS, BETA CAROTENE, DEHYDRATED GARLIC
Campbell’s vs Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe is my attempt at making a homemade version of Campbell’s. While tasting this side by side, I was shocked that Campbell’s just tasted, well, flat. Even with just the half can of water added in. Which is crazy because Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup is a good soup. I think we all grew up eating this. But this homemade version, now that is something.
- As far as Color goes, both are pretty much the same.
- The consistency of the Soup is a bit thinner with the Campbell’s.
- As far as the Noodles? I got to tell ya, the Ramen Noodles is it. Udon Noodles works well too.
- Flavor, forget about it. This recipe has Campbell’s Beat and is much heartier.
This Homemade version of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup is just loaded with so much more flavor. Definitely my go-to Chicken Noodle Soup from now on. Make it and see, taste them side by side.
While the Flavor Profile are pretty similar. In the Homemade version, it has much more intense flavors. Make it as strong or weak as desired by adding in more water to dilute it a bit, or letting it simmer a bit longer to reduce it and concentrate the flavors even more. Loaded with diced Chicken and in bigger chunks too, and much more noodles and a bigger pot of it. A Family Pot of Chicken Noodle Soup!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Made with Rendered Fat and/or Butter, Soup Base (Water, Bouillon Cubes or Broth Powder, and Seasoning), Chicken and Noodles.
Use either diced Chicken Breast, Quarters, Thighs, or Legs. Skin removed and deboned in order to dice and add to the soup. Or cook the Chicken Quarters, Thighs or Legs and strip off the bone to include in the Soup for a shredded Chicken Noodle Soup. How much Chicken is entirely up to you. I generally use 1 Chicken Breast or 2 Quarters. Although, you could certainly add in more.
Render out Chicken Skin for the Chicken Fat. The Bones thrown into the Soup to simmer a bit. Although both these steps are optional, they will add more flavor. Else, just dice a Chicken Breast and add to the Soup.
Diced Chicken Breast
Dice the Chicken Breast to the desired size and add to the Soup.
If using Chicken quarters, use the Skin to render the Fat. Debone the Chicken and dice or bake and strip off the bone. Optionally, add the Bones to the Soup to simmer for a bit to add extra flavor and extract gelatin, or save them to make chicken broth at a later time.
Chopped Dark Chicken Meat
Chop the raw Dark Meat removed from the bones and add to the Soup at the same time the Soup base goes in.
Rendered Chicken Fat
This is optional, but will it ever lift the Chicken Flavors up. Remove the Skin from any Chicken pieces and chop into small pieces. Cook over medium to medium low heat to render the Fat out and remove the crackling once they are golden and crispy. I always salt them and snack on them. They’re good for your skin.
You can skip this step and just use Butter. But the Rendered Fat will give you a much stronger Chicken Flavor and gelatinous feel. Just render the Fat out, add the soup base along with Chicken.
Rendering Chicken fat
Check out my post on Rendered Fat for more information and how to render fat.
You want about 3 – 4 Tbl. If you don’t quite have enough. Top up with Butter or Butter used in place of.
Type of Noodles for Chicken Noodle Soup
For the same kind as Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup, use Ramen Noodles or even thicker Noodles using Udon Noodles. For Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup, use Soup Noodles. Egg Noodles or other short Pastas, as well as Orzo, can also be used.
Ramen Noodles are perfect for Chicken Noodle Soups. Although these tend to be a bit chewier at first. If left to cool down with the soup, they will lose that chewiness and soften up and go a bit more tender. While not recommended when eating Ramen, because you want that chew. For Chicken Noodle Soup, you want soft & tender. These are also a bit more yellow and vibrant.
These are pretty close to the same thickness as Campbell’s, and chopping each package (2x200g) into 4 sections or more will shorten the noodles and make it easier to eat with a spoon.
Udon Noodles are much thicker, but they cook up soft & tender from the start, and even more so when left in the Soup. These too are excellent to use.
These are very thick noodles that cook up Soft & Tender and much Whiter than Ramen Noodles.
Shortened Udon Noodles
Slice two packages (200g each) of Udon Noodles or Ramen Noodles into 4 equal parts to shorten the Noodles and make it easier to eat with a Spoon.
Use about 170g – 200g of Soup Noodles for Lipton Style Chicken Noodle Soup.
These are available at the Bulk Barn. Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup has about 85 g of Noodles per package. To which 4 cups of water is added.
We’re after a Good, Hearty Chicken Broth, and for that use either Maggi Chicken Bouillon Cubes or Knorr Chicken Powder for an instant broth soup base.
To mimic the Gelatinous feel that a Natural Broth would have, a bit of gelatin can be added into the Soup and is healing for the gut.
Maggi Chicken Bouillon Cubes
Use 4 Bouillon cubes for 8 cups of Water.
Knorr Chicken Powder
Use 3 Tbl of Broth Powder for 8 Cups of Water.
Homemade Chicken Broth
This takes quite a bit of effort and time, about 3–5 hours and an overnight chill. But the pay-off is a more nutrient dense and natural Chicken Broth with plenty of Gelatin. Use a Whole 3-4 lb Chicken or saved Chicken Bones.
I know this seems odd and maybe gross. But man does it ever offer a gelatinous mouthfeel and silkiness to the soup with plenty of fat. It really is next level stuff for a Chicken Soup in general. These are used when making a Homemade Broth. No additional fat needs to be added. Since the Chicken feet will render out plenty of it. Adding in Chicken feet really does make the Chicken Broth Richer.
Chicken Noodle Soup Vegetables
A small amount of dehydrated mixed Vegetables can be added and is pretty good. Not a lot, the main focus is on a Savory Chicken Broth, Chicken & Noodles.
Add the Dehydrated Vegetables to the Soup base. These take about 15 minutes or so to soften while simmering. So adjust the simmer time to soften the vegetables before adding in the noodles.
Dehydrated Vegetable Mix
This is a mix of Dehydrated Carrot, Potato, Onions, Leek, Red & Green Bell Peppers, Celery & Cabbage that you can get at the Bulk Barn.
One or more Onions, with skin, can be roasted and added to the soup base to simmer. This assist in coloring the Soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup Seasoning
The main Flavoring and Savoriness typically associated with Chicken Soup is the Broth & Fat, with lots of Onion & MSG. A bit of Vegeta is added in for Vegetable Flavors with Garlic Powder and Butter Popcorn Seasoning for Salt and both the Buttery Richness & Color.
Use 1/2 Tbl Finely Ground Onion Powder. Add more for an even stronger taste.
MSG is going to add a very deep savory flavor. The Soup will lack that Umami flavor without it.
Vegeta is a very nice seasoning to add for Vegetable Flavors. It also helps to color the Broth. Just a small amount, as most of the salt will come from the Butter Popcorn Seasoning and some from the Broth.
Butter Popcorn Seasoning
Butter Popcorn Seasoning is going to make this a Buttery, Rich Soup and contribute most of the Salt and Color.
Just a bit of Garlic Powder which pairs well with the Onion and MSG. You can also add in Dehydrated Garlic Flakes for speckling of Garlic throughout the Soup.
Cayenne Pepper for a little bit of heat. Make it as Spicy as you want. Exchange with Black and/or White Pepper. A pinch of Chili Flakes or Aleppo can also be added.
Chicken Noodle Soup Herbs
Don’t go too crazy with the Herbs. Just a dominant Herb like Savory for Savory Chicken Noodle Soup or Rosemary for Rosemary Chicken Noodle Soup, Tarragon for Tarragon Chicken Noodle Soup or Poultry Seasoning.
Limit it to about 1/2 tsp in order to preserve the yellow color of what a Chicken Soup should be. Just a light speckling of Herbs is all that is needed.
Add Cornstarch or Potato Starch to thicken the soup slightly and give it some viscosity. You can add more for a thicker Soup or less for a thinner soup.
Cream of Tartar
Cream of Tartar does a nice job at lifting the flavors. Plus it some extra much needed potassium.
Make it without the cream of Tartar and once the soup is done, taste it. Then add the cream of tartar and taste it again. See which you prefer.
Chicken Noodle Soup base
The Soup base is just the Water with the Chicken Soup Dry Mix. This can be enjoyed all by itself in a mug to sip on, or other ingredients added in to enjoy as a Soup.
Chicken Soup Dry Mix
To tone the flavors down, add extra water. To increase the strength, simmer a bit longer to reduce a bit.
Types of Chicken Noodle Soups
Instant Chicken Soup Mix
Just combine the seasoning together and add 8 Cups of cold water to a pot with the Chicken Soup Dry Mix. Whisk well and bring to a Boil. Pour into mugs and enjoy a Mug of Chicken Soup, ready in about 10 minutes.
If adding Vegetables or Chicken. Then simmer until the Vegetables are softened, and the Chicken is cooked through. Add Noodles last and cook for 3 minutes.
Chicken Soup Dry Mix
- 3 Tbl of Powder Broth
- 2 Tbl Corn Starch
- 1/2 Tbl Onion Powder, Butter Popcorn Seasoning & MSG – each
- 1 tsp Vegeta & Garlic Powder – each
- 1/2 tsp Savory
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Cold Buster Chicken Noodle Soup
Add minced Ginger, Green Onion and a small amount of Turmeric and increase the Cayenne Pepper for a Cold Busting Chicken Noodles Soup, enough to make the nose sniffle. Use 1-2 minced Garlic Cloves in place of the Garlic in the recipe, and add about 1 tsp of gelatin to help soothe the stomach.
This is excellent without any added Chicken or Noodles or using the Soup Noodles the same as Lipton poured into a mug to sip on whenever you have the cold or flu.
You can even add in a vitamin B pill. Yep, I have done this, and amazingly it assists in an even deeper yellow color. I forget which kind I used, but thought that it was pretty cool. Add this in last after the Soup is taken off the heat. You can also add in some vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate). Both vitamin B & C are heat sensitive and while some of it will break down because of the heat. About 70-90% still ends up in the broth.
Hearty Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup
Add a Mirepoix (diced Onion, Carrot and Celery) with Garlic and/or Dehydrated Vegetables for a Hearty Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup. Sauté the Mirepoix in fat for a few minutes before adding in the Soup Base and simmering until the Vegetables are tender. Add the Noodles and cook for 3 minutes.
Onion, Carrot, Celery with Garlic.
Tomato Chicken Noodle Soup
Substitute 1 cup or more of the water for Tomato Juice or V8 Juice for a Tomato Chicken Noodle Soup. It all depends on how much want.
A Homemade version of Tomato Juice can be made by combining 1/4 C Tomato Paste and 3/4 C Water to replace 1 Cup of the Water added in the recipe.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Substitute 1 cup or more of the water with Cream for a Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. Optionally, a can of Cream of Chicken can be added in.
Add 10 % Cream or heavier, or a can of Condensed Chicken Soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 Soup Pot or a deep Pan or Skillet
- 1 Bowl for the Soup Base
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Ladle
- 1 Chicken Breast - can use Thighs and/or Drumsticks, skin removed and rendered out
- 8 C Water
- 3-4 Tbl Rendered Fat - or Butter
- 400 g Ramen Noodles - See notes
Chicken Noodle Soup Mix
- 3 Tbl Knorr Chicken Powder - or 4 Maggi Chicken Bullion Cubes
- 2 Tbl Corn Starch - or Potato Starch
- 1/2 Tbl Onion Powder, Butter Popcorn Seasoning & MSG - each
- 1 tsp Vegeta & Garlic Powder - each
- 1/2 tsp Savory - can use other herbs such as Parsley, Tarragon, Rosemary or Poultry Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper - or more, can use Black or White Pepper
- Dice Chicken breast or remove the Skin from Chicken quarters, Legs or Thighs to render out in the Soup Pot over medium to medium low heat or just use butter. Debone the meat and dice. If rendering fat, you should have about 3-4 Tbl of rendered fat, if not top it up with butter or just use 3-4 Tbl of Butter in place of rendered fat, melted in the pot.
- In a Bowl, combine all the Chicken Soup Seasoning with Water to make the Soup Base and whisk well.
- Add the Soup Base to the pot or pan with the rendered fat or melted butter along with diced Chicken and bring to a boil over max heat while mixing. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes. While simmering, optionally scoop off the scum that arises to the surface. You don't have to, but it makes for a cleaner soup.
- Return to a boil over max heat. Chop the Ramen or Udon Noodles into 4 equal sections to shorten the noodles and add to the Soup. Boil for 3 minutes while stirring to separate the Noodles. Remove from the heat. Allow the Soup to rest 10 minutes off heat, uncovered. During which the Noodles will further soften and go tender while absorbing the broth. Ladle the Soup into bowls and serve with a side.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…