Taco Bell Style Tacos
Taco Bell Style Tacos! Ground Meat with that Taco bell Texture. Served on Hards or Soft Shells and topped with your favorite Toppings for some seriously good Tacos. This recipe uses JAH Taco Seasoning but one pack of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning for each 1 lb of meat will work just as well.
TACO BELLS INGREDIENTS
Beef, water, seasoning [cellulose, chili pepper, maltodextrin, salt, oats (contains wheat), soy lecithin, spices, tomato powder, sugar, onion powder, citric acid, natural flavors (including smoke flavor), torula yeast, cocoa, disodium inosinate & guanylate, dextrose, lactic acid, modified corn starch], salt, sodium phosphates. Contains: Soy, Wheat
OLD EL PASO INGREDIENTS
Chili Pepper, Maltodextrin, Salt, Onion Powder, Spice, Corn Starch, Sea Salt (Potassium Magnesium Chloride, Salt). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Vegetable Oil (Canola, High Oleic Soybean And/Or Sunflower Oil), Corn Flour, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Citric Acid, Sugar, Natural Flavor.
Ground Meat for Taco Bell Style Tacos
The Taco Bell Style Ground Meat is where it is all at. More specifically the texture.
Use JAH Taco Seasoning or 1 pack of Old El Paso for the seasoning.
The ground meat using ground Beef has Water & Oats added. Just the same as Taco Bell. This causes the meat to break down and take on a paste-like consistency just the same as Taco Bell or other Taco Outlets. Almost like a Refried bean texture. The Oats offer water absorption and texture contrast, as well as being a filler.
Once the water has been absorbed, it’s ready for the skillet.
Cooking the Taco Meat
Place some Oil (Neutral Oil or Lard) in a skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the ground meat and cook until all of the water is gone. Mixing often to keep the beef paste-like or in small bits.
Lower the heat to medium. Then add the Taco Seasoning and cook briefly before adding Tomato Juice or Broth. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Scraping up the bottom of the pan to pick up the fond.
Optionally add Onions, Garlic, Tomatoes, Chiles, Peppers, and/or one or more Tablespoons of Refried beans to the meat mixture or as a condiment when assembling the Tacos.
Ground Beef can be exchanged with Ground Pork, Chicken, or a mixture of meats.
Taco Meat Heat
Additional heat may be added to suit your preference through Jalapenos, Chiles, Black Pepper, Chili Flakes, Ancho Powder, or Hot Sauce.
Taco Serving Size
There are about 2 ounces or about 60 g of meat for one portion for either the hard or soft shell tacos.
Taco Bell Original Beef Taco
Is a portion of Ground Beef (60g) on a crunchy Taco Shell. Then add Lettuce, Cheddar Cheese.
Optionally with some Red Taco Sauce.
These can be served on soft shells too.
Taco Bell Burrito
- 12-inch flour tortilla grilled for 5 seconds on each side
- Add Refried Beans
- Seasoned Rice – I use Spanish Rice
- 2 portions of Steak Carnita
- Creamy Pepper Jack Sauce
- 3 Cheese Blend (Equal amounts of Mozzarella, Cheddar Cheese, and Monterey Jack Cheese)
- and Fiesta Salsa or Pico De Gallo
- These are wrapped and grilled for 27 seconds.
Served either on a hard or softshell. I always assemble as below. Although sometimes I do go for just the Beef and Cheese Burrito grilled in Panini Grill or the Taco Bell Original Taco with just lettuce and cheese with that Red Taco Sauce.
- Sour Cream
- Ground Beef
- Red Taco Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese
Taco Bell Style Tacos
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 C Water or Broth
- 3 Tbl Whole Oats
- 2/3 C Tomato Juice – Can use Water or Broth
- 3 Tbl JAH Taco Seasoning – Or 1 Pack of Old El Paso
- 1-2 Tbl Refried Beans – Optional
- Combine Ground Meat and 1/2 C Water or Broth with Oats and Mix really well until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Fry in a skillet over medium-high heat and mix often until all the water has evaporated. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the Taco Seasoning and mix well. Then add 2/3 C Tomato Juice, water, or broth and mix. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes and serve.