Salisbury Steak is comfort food that can be whipped up pretty quickly. Especially if you checked out my post on How to make Burgers and already have these frozen in your freezer. Then it just comes down to the Mashed Potatoes and Gravy.
It is one of those dishes not requiring a full-length gravy. Where you need to Simmer the Stock for hours to develop flavor and texture. The Gravy in fact only requires a thickened Beef Sauce dominant in Onions & Mushrooms, which offers Umami. You don’t even have to create a roux.
Salisbury Steak Burger Patties
Make the Burger Patties the same way you normally would – see How to make Burgers.
Portion into 90 g Patties. Throw in whatever additional ingredients you want if making this fresh, or Sear previously made Burger Patties.
Salisbury Steak Sausage Patties
To achieve a bit sausage-like Patty. Add 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda to 1 lb of Ground Beef and mix. This changes the PH level, yielding a Burger Patty much like a Sausage. Typically, found with Salisbury Steak.
If you want more of a Burger texture, then replace with 1/4 tsp of Baking Powder instead of Baking soda, just the same when preparing for burgers. The ones below were made with added Beef Suet for extra fat and beefy flavor.
- 1 lb Cold Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Beef Powder
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder or
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda for Sausage texture
- Optional 4 Tbl Beef Suet
Salisbury Steak Gravy
This Gravy is only comprised of a few simple ingredients.
When mixed together and tasted. It doesn’t taste like much, kind of on the weak side. But it intensifies when picking up the fond and while it reduces a bit when cooked. Resulting in a finished sauce that gets thickened up to the desired level of thickness through a slurry.
That’s the trick with this sauce. Allow it to reduce to intensify the flavors. This is done first with picking up the fond after the patties are seared and reduced even further when cooked in the oven. The final reduction happens right before you choose to thicken it with the slurry.
The Onion aspect comes from a single package of Onion Soup mix. This contains the Onion Flavor along with some beef flavor.
Onion Soup Mix
The Mushrooms comes from Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. This also helps thicken the soup slightly and contains bits of mushrooms.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Salisbury Gravy Flavoring
Onion and Mushrooms are the Dominant flavorings for the Gravy. Two additional ingredients are added to elevate this gravy.
HP Sauce is rich in flavor and goes exceptionally well with the Gravy. Ketchup is added to offer some high notes.
Seasoning Salisbury Steak Gravy
Montreal Steak Seasoning. I mean this is Salisbury Steak right. This has a nice balance of Flavors and just works with this dish.
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Use Cornstarch or Potato Starch instead of Flour for the Gravy.
An equal amount of water and starch are mixed together and added to the thinned-out gravy (after it has picked up the fond from searing the patties and cooking in the oven to blend the flavors), while it is simmering to thicken it.
Add as much or little to achieve the consistency desired.
Adjust the seasoning with Salt & Pepper, if needed.
How to Cook Salisbury Steak
Cook in the Oven or within the same pan on the Stove Top.
The burger patties you are just looking to sear. You don’t really need any seasoning for it, as the Sauce will contain enough Salt and Pepper, and other Flavors. You’re also not looking to cook it all the way through. Only Sear the Burger Patties.
Searing should release some fat in the Burgers and create a Fond on the Bottom of the Pan.
Pick the Fond up by adding the Sauce after the burgers are cooked. This will incorporate the fond into the gravy and add more flavor, which is exactly what you want.
The oven method is great when you are making up a bunch of these. Sear the Burgers up and Lay them into a large casserole dish to await the sauce before going into the oven.
If only making 1 or 2 you can just finish it in the same pan. Just remove the Patties after searing. Add the sauce, mix well. Add the Patties back in and simmer. Plate the Burgers and then thicken the sauce at the end to pour over the Patties.
Plate the hamburger Patties on top of Mashed Potatoes or with the mashed potatoes on the side. Serve it up with some Vegetables like corn or mixed vegetables.
Ideas with Salisbury Steak Recipe
Shape the meat into meatballs and sear. Then cook along with the Sauce before thickening it into a Gravy.
Salisbury Baked Potato
Scoop out the mash from the baked Potato and Season any way you’d like. Cook the Ground Beef, breaking it up into medium chunks, and add the sauce. Simmer for a Bit before thickening. Fill the Baked Potato and Top with the Mash.
Cooked Ground Beef or Meatballs over Homemade Fries with the Gravy and Cheese. Use Shredded Mozzarella Cheese & Provolone at a ratio of 3:1.
Hot Salisbury Hamburger Sandwich
Use the Recipe below for a Hot Hamburger Sandwich. Just Place the Cooked Burger on 1 or 2 Slices of Butter Bread or Toast and Ladle Gravy over Top.
- Large Pan or Skillet
- Casserole Dish
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Beef Powder
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda - Or up to 1/2 tsp for more of a sausage texture
- 4 C Water
- 1 pack Onion Soup Mix
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Tbl HP Sauce
- 1 Tbl Ketchup
- 1 Tbl Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tsp Beef Broth Powder or 1 Block Maggi Beef Cube
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 C Cornstarch
- 1/4 C Water
- In a bowl, combine Gravy Ingredients and set aside. Mix the Cornstarch and Water in a separate bowl and Set aside. Combine the ingredients for the Burger Patties and shape into 90 g Patties. Lay them on a baking sheet to freeze. Or use Premade Burger Patties.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Sear the Patties and transfer to a baking dish that can hold the Gravy as well.
- Pour the set aside Gravy mix into the pan you just cooked the Burgers in and incorporate the fond into the sauce, bringing it to a Boil. Pour the Hot Sauce/thin Gravy over the Burgers and bake at 350 F for 20 Minutes. Set aside the Pan. You will use this to thicken the gravy later.
- Plate the Burgers and Pour the Sauce into the Pan you previously cooked the Patties in. Bring the Sauce to Boil and reduce until it has a stronger flavor. Then add Cornstarch Slurry, mixing until thickened. Adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle Gravy over Steak Burgers and Serve with Mashed Potatoes or Fries and some vegetables.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…