Buttery Mashed Potatoes
Rich & Buttery Mashed Potatoes that even look Buttery, wait till you taste them. It’s amazing what a few key ingredients will do to Mashed Potatoes. This is a basic recipe to which additional ingredients can be added such as Onion, Green Onions, Garlic, Leek, Parsley, or Chives.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes Ingredients
- 10 % Cream
- Butter Popcorn Seasoning
- Baking Powder
- Cream of Tartar
- White Pepper
Russet Potatoes are your all around all purpose Potatoes and works for Mashed Potatoes. Even better is Yukon Gold. These have a natural Buttery & Creamy flavor.
Weigh out 500 g or a bit more of Peeled Potatoes, which is about 4 medium Potatoes. This is enough as a side dish for 4 people, two if being used as the main side dish like Salisbury Steak.
Place a bowl on a digital scale and zero off. Peel the Potatoes until you get about 500 g or a little over.
Slice each Potato in half length & width wise to Quarter the Potatoes. Wash the Potatoes and add them to the steamer when ready.
Steaming the Potatoes will preserve more of the Flavor and not waterlog the Potatoes as much as when Boiling them. Use a Double Stack & Steam Cookware set, a rice cooker which should also have a steam function or just a steamer, although the Double Stack Steamer is much faster.
After steaming, remove the basket with the Potatoes to air dry a bit. This will evaporate off excess water and prime the Potatoes to soak up even more of the Cream & Butter.
Add Water and place over max heat. Add the Potatoes when it’s steaming to cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until when pierced with a fork they fall apart a bit.
I find a Potato Ricer way more efficient than a food Mill. It’s quick and Easy. Just scoop out the Potatoes and add them in to press into the bowl.
Mashed Potatoes with Butter & Cream
Butter is used both in the Mashed Potatoes with more added on top.
Cream 10 %
For standard Mashed Potatoes 1/4 C of Cream can be added for firmer Mashed Potatoes. A 1/2 C is used in the main recipe below for Creamy Smooth. Add more or less as desired to achieve your preferred consistency.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes Seasoning
The standard Butter & Cream, along with White Pepper. However, we can elevate the simple Mashed Potato even further with a few key ingredients to really elevate the Flavors.
Butter Popcorn Seasoning
It’s called Buttery Mashed Potatoes for a reason and this is why. If you want that Buttery Flavor this is what you add. I pick mine up at the local Bulk Barn.
Butter Popcorn Seasoning delivers on those rich Butter flavors, at the same time contributing Salt and turning the Mashed Potatoes to a Butter Color. Knowing this is a game-changer for dishes requiring both a Butter Flavor & Salt and for Mashed Potatoes, you don’t even know.
For more information check out my Food For Thought Post on Butter Popcorn Seasoning.
Butter Popcorn Seasoning
Adjust the amounts as you see fit. I add in about 1 tsp per 500 g of Potatoes.
Add baking powder for its leaving effect. It fluffs up the Mashed Potato quite nicely. It can be further activated by briefly cooking the Mashed Potatoes before serving and this will give it that extra fluffiness.
Cream of Tartar
This adds a bit of Acidity although barely noticeable. You’d be surprised though. Just adding Salt & Pepper along with a very small amount of Cream of Tartar makes all the difference. Especially where this is a high fat dish. The Cream of Tartar helps to cut through it, just the same as it does with Gravy.
Cream of Tartar
Just a small amount is added for acidity. Too much will ruin the Potatoes. Just the right amount elevates them into something else. Less can be added for a less acidic taste.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes With
Add other ingredients to bring out specific flavor.
- Strong Onion Flavor, add Onion Powder.
- Strong Garlic, add Garlic Powder. You can even add a Garlic Clove or two and include it when steaming or make Roasted Garlic and include it into the Mash.
- Herby, add some Herbs such as Parsley, Chives or Chervil.
- Include some sautéed Leeks or Fresh Green Onions.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes Consistency
The recipe below uses 1/2 C for Creamy Smooth Mashed Potatoes. Adjust the consistency to how you like your Mashed Potatoes by adding in more or less Cream. Then adjust the Salt & Pepper before serving if needed.
Buttery Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Steamer
- 1 Potato Ricer
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Digital Scale
- 500 g Peeled Potatoes - a little over is fine
- 1/2 C 10 % Cream
- 2 Tbl Butter - plus more on top when serving
- 1 tsp Butter Popcorn Seasoning - more or less
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper - or more
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar - or less
- To Taste Salt & Pepper - if needed
- Add water to the Steamer and place on the Stove over max heat while you prepare the Potatoes.
- Place the bowl on the scale and zero off the Bowl. Peel the Potatoes until you get 500 g or a little over. Quarter the Potatoes, wash and cover the Potatoes in water until ready.
- When the Steamer is ready strain the water out and add the Potatoes to Steam for 15 – 20 minutes or until fork tender. Meanwhile wash & dry the bowl the Potatoes were in and add in all the ingredients for the Buttery Mashed Potatoes.
- Remove the steam basket with the Potatoes in it and let it air dry a minute or so. You will see them become dry. Run the Potatoes through the Ricer into the Bowl. Mix the Potatoes with a Spatula. Taste and adjust the Salt & Pepper if needed. Plate with extra Butter on top and Garnish with Parsley, Chives or Green Onions.
- Pineapple ChickenChinese Pineapple Chicken that is better than any takeout. When you need your fix for some Chinese Food, this is one of those dishes. It’s a nice change up from the Classic Chinese Red Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls. It’s just so good. The Chicken…
- Chocolate Caramel Banana MilkshakeThis Milkshake has the addictive flavor combination of Chocolate & Caramel blended up into a Milkshake with Bananas and more Syrup drizzled on top for a Sweet Chocolate Caramel Banana Milkshake. It’s a blended Chocolate Caramel Banana Split! Chocolate Caramel Banana Milkshake Ingredients Made with…
- Party PizzaThis Sheet Pan Pizza or Party Pizza will make about 18 slices of Pizza per Tray! Double it up and place both into the oven side by side to get 36 slices of Pizza. Instead of two Party Pizzas, you can make one a Pizza…