Meatball Poutine with Spicy Savory Meatballs and Fav Pork Gravy over some French Fries & Cheese mix of High Moisture Mozzarella and Provolone cheese at a ratio of 3:1. I imagine a small amount of cheddar cheese would work as well. Optionally squeeze some Sauce over top like Ketchup, HP Sauce, Sour Cream.
I usually just buy the fries. However, I do prefer my Homemade Baked Potato Fries. These have a baked potato flavor already seasoned and crunch that can hold up to the gravy for a time.
The key to French Fries is to cook them until all steam is gone. This is the Moisture still inside the fries that will cause the fries to go soggy if not cooked out. If completely cooked out they should remain crunchy for a while.
I cook French Fries three times. The First Time is to get rid of most of the Moisture. Then lift the fries up and allow the oil to return to temp.
Deep fry again to get all moisture out. Lift the Fries to allow the oil to come back to temp.
Deep Fry a final time just for a few seconds to ensure all moisture is gone and crisp the fries.
Meatball Poutine Gravy
There are a few Gravies that you can choose from.
For this recipe, I used Fav Pork Gravy.
This can be used with 100 % Pork Stock or mixed 50/50 with Chicken or Beef Stock. You can also just use Chicken or Beef Stock, however, the Fava Beans in the Fav Pork Gravy really contribute to the overall flavor. Kind of reminiscent of the Fraser Farm Gravy and Meatballs.
St Huberts Gravy is also a Good Gravy for Poutine.
For the meatballs, I wanted something a tad spicy and with the texture a bit mushy but slightly firmer than Fraser Farm Meatballs.
I use 1 Tablespoon to form the meatballs so that they are slightly smaller for the Poutine. Lay these out onto a baking sheet and freeze. Later they will get pan fried with a lid.
While Freezing them is completely optional I find it helps keep the shape while initially cooking and getting a good sear while the inside cooks more slowly. Take them out a few minutes before cooking so that they loosen from the sheet easily.
You can also just cook them in the oven at 400 F until done tossing them around once in awhile for even cooking and browning.
The Meatball recipe is a base recipe to which you can add in any additional Herbs & Spices.
Fraser Meatballs Taste
If you want the Fraser Meatball taste, add in a couple of mashed Canned Fava Beans, Onion & Garlic Powder, MSG, Sugar and Poultry Seasoning or Italian Seasoning, Savory works quite nicely as well. Drop the heat by half. Starch can be added to give it a mushier or tender texture.
If you’re after the Sausage texture just add in 1/4 tsp Baking Soda. Omit the Egg and Bread crumbs and use 1 Tbl of Flour instead.
Meatball Poutine Toppings
For me, I really love Ketchup with Gravy, but other sauces can be squeezed over top to add extra flavor. Use Ketchup, HP Sauce, Sour Cream, even BBQ Sauces.
Add-ins like Sauteed Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers or Bacon are all excellent additions.
- 1 bag French Fries
- 1 portion Fav Pork Gravy
- Mozzarella Cheese Blend – 3:1 Mozzarella to Provolone
- Cheddar Cheese – Small amount – Optional
- 1 lbs Ground Beef
- 1/4 C Bread Crumbs
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce & Parsley
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black & White Pepper – use half the amount for less spicy
- Additional Herbs & Spices of your Choice
- Prepare the Fav Pork Gravy and keep warm. Turn on the Deep Fryer and allow to come to temp. Cook the French Fries while cooking the meatballs.
- In a Large bowl add the Eggs, Worcestershire Sauce and Whisk really well. Add in the remaining ingredients except the Ground Beef and allow the bread crumbs to soak up the liquid for a few minutes. Then add in the Cold Ground Beef and Mix well. Shape into Meatballs using 1 Tablespoon portions and place unto a baking sheet.
- With a Skillet over medium heat. Place the meatballs in the skillet and Cover. Leave for about 3 minutes and then shake the pan to move the meatballs around while still covered. Repeat this every so often for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 2 -3 minutes or until done. Meanwhile cook the fries.
- When the Meatballs are done. Pour in the Fav Pork Gravy with the Meatballs and Mix. Keep warm while you finish cooking the fries.
- Plate with Fries and Cheese, Portion the meatballs out to each serving and then Ladle the Gravy over top. Optionally Squeeze Sauce over top like Ketchup, HP Sauce, Sour Cream and Garnish with Parsley and Aleppo Chili Flakes.