Magic Mashed Potatoes
Delicious Rich & Buttery Good Magic Mashed Potatoes. Steamed and processed through a Ricer. Seasoned with a select few ingredients which turn this simple dish into Magic Mashed Potatoes. So good all by themselves let alone with hot gravy on top.
This recipe uses about 500 g of Peeled Potatoes or a little over.
Steaming the Potatoes will preserve more of the Flavor and not waterlog the potatoes as much as when Boiling them. I use a Double Stack & Steam Cookware set, but these can also be done in a rice cooker which should also have a steam function. Although the Double Stack is much faster.
Magic Mashed Potatoes Seasoning
The standard Butter & Cream, along with White Pepper. However, we can elevate the simple mashed potato even further with additional seasonings or ingredients and make the standard mashed potatoes something magical.
Butter Popcorn Seasoning
First is Butter Popcorn Seasoning. This is an excellent way to add both a stronger Butter Flavor & Salt at the same time into any dish where both Butter and Salt are desired. Knowing this is a game-changer for dishes requiring such. The Butter Popcorn seasoning added in this recipe causes a very rich Mashed Potato. Adjust the amounts as you see fit, adding in less or more as desired.
Next is the Magic Sarap. This is a wickedly good seasoning that can be used in place of or in conjunction with Chicken Broth Powder. It adds exceptional flavor and is the Magic in Magic Mashed Potatoes along with the Butter Popcorn seasoning.
These can be difficult to find. Currently, the only place I know that sells them is T&T Supermarket and online as well. It’s a seasoning that can add some real flavor to not just mashed potatoes but quite a few dishes.
Add baking powder for its leaving effect. It fluffs up the Mashed Potato quite nicely. It can be further activated by briefly cooking the Mashed potatoes.
A Raw Egg can be added while the Mash is still relatively hot to add creaminess to the mashed potatoes as well. It will cook slightly from the residual heat.
Cream of Tartar
This adds a bit of acidity although barely noticeable. You’d be surprised though. Just adding Salt & Pepper along with a small amount of cream of tartar makes all the difference with adding acidity and creating a mashed potato with volume. Especially if adding an egg into the mix as well. It’s also a source of Potassium.
From here with the previous ingredients in place and shaping the overall flavor of the mashed potato. You can narrow in on a specific flavor. Strong Onion Flavor, add Onion Powder. Strong Garlic, add Garlic Powder. Herby, add some Herbs such as Parsley, Chervil, Savory, Thyme.
You can even adjust the amounts in the recipe.
- Adding more Butter Popcorn Seasoning will add more salt, butter flavor and color to the mashed potatoes.
- More Baking powder will affect the leaving action in the mashed potato.
- Increasing the Cream of Tartar will increase the acidity.
- Adding more Butter or Liquids will affect the consistency.
There are a few Mashed Potato Recipes I have made and am experimenting with. That I will post in time. For now, this Magic Mashed Potato recipe is a well-rounded recipe that can pair well with many dishes.
Magic Mashed Potatoes Consistency
Adjust the consistency to how you like your mashed potatoes by adding in less or more cream or other liquids, butter, or eggs. Then adjust the seasoning before serving. Use an Ice-cream Scoop to serve the mashed potatoes, optionally with a dimple in the middle to ladle gravy into.
Magic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Steamer
- 1 Ricer
- 500 g Potatoes - Peeled, about 4-5 potatoes
- 1/4 C Real Butter - or more to adjust the consistency
- 2 Tbl Cream - or more to adjust the consistency
- 1 pack Magic Sarap
- 1 tsp Butter Popcorn Seasoning - more or less depending on preference
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar & White Pepper
- Peel and Quarter the Potatoes. Place into the steamer for about 15 – 20 minutes. The Potatoes should be fork tender soft.
- Pass the Potatoes through a Ricer and add in the Butter first and mix, then the cream and mix, finally the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine everything.
- Add more Cream or Butter to adjust the consistency and adjust the Seasoning before serving if needed.
- Burrito BowlThis Taco Burrito Bowl is made with all the same ingredients used to make a Taco Burrito. All layered in a Plate, Bowl or Tortilla Bowl. Place everything out on the table, so everyone can build their own with some Soda and enjoy a Family … Read more
- Aioli Pork ChopsAioli Pork Chops are just Phenomenal! These Pork Chops are marinated in an Aioli Marinade using the Jar version of it. Where everything is placed into a Jar and puréed with an Immersion Blender. Slow cooked until fork tender. Just as they come out of … Read more
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your … Read more