Gravy & Meatballs
This Gravy & Meatballs Recipe is inspired by Fraser Farm Gravy and Meatballs which are Tender Soft Mushy Meatballs in Gravy usually served over Mashed Potatoes.
I grew up eating this and thought they didn’t sell it anymore. It turns out they still do. So I bought a can and made it up. It still brings back that nostalgic feeling and I love them for that. However, I sought to create a dish that was my own but similar.
Ingredients: WATER, FORMED MEATBALLS (MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, BEEF, TOASTED WHEAT CRUMBS, FAVA BEAN PROTIEN, SALT), MODIFIED CORN STARCH, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR, GLUCOSE-FRUCTOSE, SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, CARAMEL COLOUR, SPICE EXTRACTS.
Gravy & Meatballs Uses
- Over Mashed Potatoes
- Over French Fries with Cheese – Poutine
- Combined with Rice
- As Meatball Stew
The Meatball ingredients seem to be fairly simple. Relying on Fava Beans for taste with Salt. In the future, I would be curious to get my hands on some Fava Bean Powder and try to make the meatballs to see how they turn out.
Fava Beans are described as Full in flavor, Nutty, Slightly bitter with a Slightly Sweet Taste. They often have a slight hint of a cheese flavor.
For my meatballs, I was aiming for a well-rounded seasoned flavorful Meatball that could be used in other places as well. To much of my delight. It is indeed a well versatile and seasoned Meatball.
The Fraser Farm Gravy consists of Water thickened with Cornstarch and Wheat Flour. Sugar, Salt, and MSG. Coloring and Spice extracts for flavor. Probably including Beef and Chicken.
In this recipe, the gravy is really simple. Just Chicken and Beef Broth Mixed and Thickened later. The flavors from the meatballs will add to the Flavoring for the Gravy as well as the Fond you created while cooking the meatballs in Beef Suet. You can add additional seasonings to the gravy if you’d like.
My Salisbury Steak Gravy can be used for this recipe as well. The Meatball Seasoning can be used for the Steak Burgers as well.
If you feel the gravy might not be enough you can easily double the Broths and Thickeners.
JAH Fav Pork Gravy which utilizes the Flava Bean definitely delivers in this recipe as well. Instantly making it recognizable as the Fraser Farm Gravy and meatballs.
My Take on Gravy & Meatballs
I sought to create a good balanced flavorful meatball. That would be cooked to create a fond and then simmered in Broth to impart additional flavors into the sauce. I also wanted the meatballs to be versatile not only fitting to one dish but multiple dishes.
My Meatballs are not as mushy. Although if you wanted mushier meatballs here are a few tips you can experiment with
- Use Half Ground Chicken and Half Beef.
- Add more Fat. Be careful though you still want the meatballs to hold their shape and be durable enough for cooking.
- Milk in place of the water- Milk tenderizes the meat.
- 1/2 tsp Meat Tenderizer added to the meat.
- Add in Egg Yolks beaten until lemon color and Fold in Egg Whites whisked until thickened.
The recipe below uses half and half Potato Starch and Flour. I use the Potato Starch for a Gloss and Thickener and the Flour to resemble more of a gravy.
Depending on how you like it. You can just use 2 Tbl Flour for Gravy or more.
If you want it thicker just add equal amounts of Flour and Water, Temper, and add to the Sauce. Mix well.
The Thickening of the Gravy happens later, allowing time for the meatballs to simmer and soak up the liquids. Then add equal amounts of thickener and water and mix well to create the slurry. Temper the Slurry by adding in some of the Simmering liquid and mixing. Then add the slurry to the Sauce and mix well.
Gravy & Meatballs
- 3 Tbl Beef Suet
- 2 Tbl Water mixed with Thickener
- 1 Tbl Potato Starch & Flour
- 1 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 Tbl Cold Water & Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tbl Oil
- 1/2 Tbl Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder, Sea Salt, Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cardamon, Cumin, Coriander & Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Clove, Nutmeg, Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 C Beef Broth
- 1 1/2 C Chicken Broth
- optional Additional Seasoning or JAH Poly Seasoning
- Combine Bread Crumbs and Water and Mix
- Combine remaining Meatball Ingredients and Mix well
- use 1 or 1 1/2 Tbl of Meat Mixture and Roll into a Meatball. Set aside.
- Combine Broths together. Set Aside.
- In a Large Skillet add Beef Suet or other Cooking Oil on medium heat
- Place the meatballs in the skillet and Cover. Leave for about 3 minutes and then shake the pan around covered to move the meatballs around. Repeat this every so often for 5 minutes.
- Add the Gravy Liquids and Seasoning if using and mix. Cover and Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Temper the Thickener with Water by adding 1 Tbl at a time of hot liquid and mixing. Repeat until 4-5 Tbl or more is added. Then add to the Sauce while mixing well.
- Continue to cook until thickened and/or cook down until desired consistency. Allow to rest 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve.