OMG! These are a really nice treat! I love coming up with new ways to enjoy the classic Donair Meat & Sauce. The Donair Crunchwrap is built and assembled the same way as the Taco Crunchwrap. Except these get stuffed with Halifax Style Donair Meat, Donair Sauce, Tostada, more donair sauce with chopped lettuce, diced Onions & Tomatoes.
Add to this some shredded Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese to take it to a whole other level. These are just a great way to use up leftover donair meat.
Use a 12-inch Flour Tortilla. These can be a bit hard to find. In which case you can make homemade 12-inch flour tortillas or use 10-inch flour tortillas. With 10 inch tortillas, you won’t get a complete seal, due to the smaller size. This can be remedied by tearing another tortilla into 4 equal sections and using each one on top before folding the Crunchwrap to get a complete seal and creating the classic hexagon shape.
Brown the Tortillas a bit in a skillet, a few seconds on each side until toasted. Then set the Tortillas aside on a plate or waxed paper until ready to assemble.
The Donair Crunchwrap is stuffed with thinly sliced Donair Meat. It doesn’t need much, and you don’t want to use too much, since too much donair meat filling will make it very difficult to fold the Donair Crunchwrap. Use 60 – 90 g or 1/4 cup.
Prepare the Donair meat, cook, cool, and slice in preparation for making this recipe, or use leftover sliced donair meat.
Ground Donair Meat
You can even do these Taco Bell style with ground Donair meat. This saves a bunch of time in both cooking, resting, and avoiding the time it takes to slice the donair meat.
Combine the Ground Beef with JAH Donair Spice & 1 Tbl of Cold Water. Mix well and pan-fry until cooked through. This method will have the donair meat ready in about 10 minutes.
Spoon Donair Sauce over the meat as well as the Tostada. The Donair Sauce takes a bit of time to develop, so make this ahead of time (a few hours) and refrigerate covered until ready to use.
Tostadas are used not only to add extra crunch but as a guideline on where the Donair Crunchwrap needs to be wrapped. It also assists in holding the Donair Crunchwrap together so that it doesn’t flop everywhere.
A blend of shredded Mozzarella & Provolone cheese at a ratio of 3:1 is absolutely phenomenal with Donairs.
Shred a package of High Moisture Mozzarella Cheese and add 3 cups of it to a large Ziploc bag. Shred a package of Provolone Cheese and add 1 cup of it into the large Ziploc bag with the mozzarella cheese. Mix well and place into the freezer for storage.
Always the classic Onions & Tomatoes. Diced, Washed, and Drained. Add chopped Lettuce too.
Onions & Tomatoes
Donair Crunchwrap Assembly
- Fry the Tortilla a bit to brown. Place about 1/4 C of Donair Meat (60 g – 90 g) in the center.
- Spoon Donair Sauce on top of the meat with shredded cheese blend.
- Add the Tostada and press down and wiggle to flatten the donair meat out.
- Add more donair sauce on top of the Tostada.
- Top with Lettuce, Diced Onions & Tomatoes.
- Fold into the classic hexagon shape.
How to Fold the Donair Crunchwrap
Folded the same way as the Taco Crunchwrap with the classic hexagon shape. This can be a bit tricky. If you end up with 5 or 7 folds, don’t fret, it’s all good as long as it is sealed. Here is a Youtube Training Video on how to fold the Classic Taco Crunchwrap and is applicable here just as well. It does take some practice.
If using 10-inch tortillas you won’t get a complete seal. To remedy this, tear another tortilla into 4 equal sections and use one piece to place on top before folding the Crunchwrap to get a complete seal.
How to Grill the Donair Crunchwrap
Heat a skillet up over medium heat for a few minutes. Then Place the Crunchwrap seam side down to cook for about 25 – 30 seconds. Flip it over and grill the other side. If when flipping it over the seam side does not hold, flip it back over for another few seconds until it does.
Careful not to brown it too much, if the pan is too hot, remove it from the heat for a bit, and let it cool.
- 1 Skillet
- Pan Fry the Tortillas for a few seconds on each side until heated through and lightly browned. Lay the tortilla out on a plate or waxed paper for assembly.
- Prepare the Donair Meat, either Sliced or Ground. While the Donair meat is cooking, prepare and wash the vegetables.
- Assemble the Donair Crunchwrap as follows.Tortilla1/4 C (60 g – 90 g) of Donair meatPinch of CheeseDonair SauceTostadaMore Donair SauceLettuce, Onions & TomatoesTorn off piece of Tortilla on top if you can not get a complete seal.Fold into the classic hexagon shape.
- Heat a Skillet up for about 2–3 minutes over medium heat. Place the Donair Crunchwrap seam side down and cook for about 25–30 seconds. Flip and brown the other side.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…