Donair Egg Rolls
Donair Egg Rolls! We’re talking Donair Meat stuffed inside Egg Roll wrappers with diced Onions & Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese with Donair Sauce and more Donair Sauce on the side for dipping. Deep Fried Golden Crispy.
These are made up the same way as Donair Samosas except the wrappers are different and these amounts are cut in half.
This recipe is a JAH Product Recipe using Halifax Donair Spice for the Donair meat. This can be made up with your standard seasoning mix for Donairs too included in this post.
Egg Roll Wrappers
There are two sizes of Egg Roll Wrappers that pretty much look the same. Making it very easy to pick up one or the other. For Donair Egg Rolls the larger ones are ideal as an appetizer or snack packed with a good amount of Donair Meat. Since the Donair meat is already cooked up, sliced and then chopped and the larger Egg Roll Wrappers brown a bit faster, this is perfect for Donair Egg Rolls.
Small Egg Roll Wrappers
These are good for Chinese Egg Rolls or other food items stuffed with raw meat since the cook time on these are a bit longer than the larger Egg Roll Wrappers.
Large Egg Roll Wrappers
The Larger Egg Roll Wrappers are good for a quick Fry and usually stuffed with already cooked ingredients. These are good for Donair Egg Rolls & Pizza Egg Rolls.
Donair Egg Roll Filling
The meat used for Donairs can be ground Beef, Lamb or a mixture of both at a 50/50 mix or at a ratio you prefer such as 60 -90% ground Beef and 10 – 40% ground Lamb.
Beef Donair Egg Rolls
1 lb of very cold 100 % Halal ground Beef. The Halifax Donair Egg Roll uses 100 % Beef. For Homemade Donair Egg Rolls this can be mixed with Lamb.
Lamb Donair Egg Rolls
1 lb of very cold ground Lamb or 50/50 of ground Beef & Lamb. You can also combine this at any ratio you prefer.
The Donair Filling is made up from 1 lb loaf of cooked Donair meat. Prepare and cook the 1 lb. Donair loaf as you normally would. After it has cooled, slice into thin strips and pan fry briefly. Then coarsely chop to throw into a bowl to make up the Donair Egg Roll Filling.
1 lb Donair Loaf sliced thinly.
A quicker version just pan fries the raw Donair Meat just the same as ground beef to use for the Donair Egg Roll Filling. Either way is fine and really comes down to preference or time.
Basic Donair Meat
The standard Seasoning is 1 tsp each of the below ingredients per lb. of Ground Beef. With the exception of Cayenne Pepper. Which is 1/8 tsp and upwards. Some only use 1/2 tsp Garlic & Onion per 1 lb. of Beef. You can start with 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, Onion & Garlic, and 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper and then up it based on your preference. Some use Italian Seasoning or Za’atar in place of Oregano or alongside Oregano. A lot of MSG is always added in restaurant versions.
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
Donair Meat always has some kind of Binder in it. In commercial grade Donair Meat this is usually Soy Protein, Soy Protein concentrate or Isolate and/or Wheat Crumbs. Sodium Phosphate is also used for Binding and to create a Juicier end product. For at home use add in 1 Tbl of Flour for Binding.
Onions & Tomatoes
I always include diced Onions & Tomatoes, although this is optional.
Dice half a Tomato and place into a bowl to rinse and remove most of the seeds. Strain well and throw into the bowl with the Donair Meat.
Dice half an Onion and place into the bowl with the Donair Meat. Optionally rinse with the Tomatoes to remove the seeds from the Tomatoes and the Onion pungency. White Onions are really good too and bit sweeter. White Onions tend to be larger so you only need about a quarter of a White Onion.
Onion & Tomato
Add in half an Onion & Tomato diced or however much you prefer or none at all.
Donair Egg Roll Cheese
By far the best Cheese is the blend of Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese. I use this in numerous dishes and with Donair Meat is just unreal. Use a food Processor to shred both Cheeses. This recipe uses 1 Cup of Cheese, but you can certainly add in more for a more Chessier Donair Egg Roll.
Saputo Mozzarella Cheese
A high moisture Mozzarella Cheese.
Mozzarella & Provolone Blend
Combine 3 Cups of Saputo’s Mozzarella Cheese & 1 Cup of Shredded Provolone Cheese into a Ziploc bag and mix well to distribute the Cheese evenly.
Once all of the ingredients are in the bowl for the Donair Egg Rolls, add in 1 Cup of Donair Sauce and toss well. More can be served on the side for dipping.
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 C White Sugar
- 1 tsp of Onion & Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbl White Vinegar
Combine everything except the White Vinegar. Whisk very well until the milk takes on a whiter color. Pour in the Vinegar while whisking about 12 turns. Cover and refrigerate.
How to make Donair Egg Rolls
Prepare the Egg Roll wrappers by laying a bunch out and brushing all the edges with an Egg Wash (1 Egg White & 1 Tbl of Water). Stuff the each Egg Roll wrappers with about 1/3 C of Donair Filling and roll them up to seal and press the edges to seal both ends, just the same as Chinese Egg Rolls.
Too little filling and you will have air pockets in the Donair Egg Rolls making it hard to Deep Fry evenly. Too much and the Donair Egg Rolls will potentially burst or make it difficult to seal. A good amount is about 1/3 C of Filling for the large Egg Roll Wrappers and about 1/4 C for the smaller Wrappers if using.
How to Cook Donair Egg Rolls
Preheat the Deep Fryer while making the Donair Filling and hand rolling each Donair Egg Roll. Once you have all the Donair Egg Rolls stuffed, sealed and stacked nicely on the baking sheet, it’s time to Deep Fry the Egg Rolls.
Deep Fried Donair Egg Rolls
Deep Fry the Egg Rolls at 350 F for about 3-5 minutes or until Golden & Crispy. Place on a wire rack so any excess grease can drain off. Let rest 10 minutes or so before transferring to a plate to for serving with a side of Donair Sauce for Dipping.
Flip the Egg Rolls over for even browning. Using Tongs grab the end sealed piece which gives you better control to flip the Egg Rolls. Flip and hold in the case where the Egg Rolls will favor one side due to trapped air.
Ground Donair Egg Rolls
You can skip cooking the Donair Loaves and go directly to pan frying the Donair meat breaking it up just the same as Ground Beef. Let cool and then mix with the Cheese, Onions & Tomatoes with Donair Sauce to stuff the Wrappers and make Donair Egg Rolls.
I like the thinly sliced Donair meat and the texture it offers. But for a much quicker version Ground Donair Egg Rolls can be made too.
Donair Egg Rolls
- 1 Deep Fryer or Pot/Wok fitted with a thermometer
- 1 Large Bowl for the Donair Filling
- 1 small bowl or Tupperware container for the Donair Sauce
- 1 Small Bowl and Brush for the Egg Wash
- 1 Baking Sheet for stacking the Donair Egg Rolls
- 1 Wired Rack for cooling
- 1 Pair of Tongs
- Both the Donair Meat & Donair Sauce will need to be made in advance. Preheat the Deep Fryer or a Large Wok filled about 1/2 way with Oil and fitted with a thermometer to gauge the heat. The Oil temperature should be 350 F.
- Slice the Donair Meat into thin strips and then coarsely chop to throw in the bowl for the filling. Dice and wash 1/2 Tomato & Onion. Strain well and add to the bowl with the Donair Meat. Add in the Cheese & Donair Sauce. Mix well.
- Combine 1 Egg White with 1 Tbl of Cold Water and whisk with a fork until frothy. Set aside to use later to brush all edges of the Egg Roll wrappers.
- Lay out all the wrappers side by side and row by row, edges touching. Place about 1/3 C of the Donair Filling in each wrapper. Then roll up each wrapper to seal the length and press the ends to seal. Repeat for each Donair Egg Roll. Lay them out on a baking sheet.
- Deep Fry the Egg Rolls for about 3–5 minutes, or until golden crispy. Flipping them over with tongs by the Egg Roll ends for better control and for even browning. Then strain on a wired rack and let cool. Serve 1-2 Egg Rolls with a side of Donair Sauce for Dipping.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more