Breadsticks made from pizza dough, baked and brushed with sauce, and topped off with Everything Bagel Seasoning for what I call Bagel Twistixs. Made the same way as Twisty Bread, with a few key differences.
These are superb just by themselves to munch on or with various dipping sauces on the side.
Bagel Twistixs Dough
Place the Pizza Dough on a cornmeal-dusted surface. Flatten out and shape into a rectangle to slice the breadsticks.
The Hand Tossed Pizza Dough is used to make Twisty Bread.
Flatten it out and square it into a rectangle to get about 6–8 strips, and brush with the bagel wash to get that color effect.
Slice about 6–8 strips with a pizza cutter, and transfer to the Pizza Screen or pan, giving the strips of dough a twisty before placing them down.
The Bagel Wash is made up of baked baking soda & water that is brushed onto the dough before cutting into breadsticks.
To make the baked baking soda, place 1 Cup of baking Soda on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour at 250 F. This causes a chemical reaction that makes the baking soda highly alkaline.
Careful handling this. The highly alkaline powder can cause irritation.
Use 1 tsp of baked Baking Soda with 2-4 tsp of Water, depending on how dark you want the strips. The amount of heat and the duration affect browning as well. Since breadsticks cook up much faster than other items, a stronger solution is desired to achieve good browning.
This is completely optional to bagel wash the twisty bread. I like the visual of it with the Bagel Seasoning. The image on the left is with 4 tsp of water the image on the left is with 3 tsp of water and the featured image is with 2 tsp of water.
How to make Bagel Twistixs
Place a 12 Inch of Pizza Dough on a Cornmeal surface and flatten it out into a rectangle. Brush the Bagel wash generously over the dough, and then cut the dough into 6–8 breadsticks. Twist them as you transfer them to a pizza screen or pan and cook.
How to cook Bagel Twistixs
With the Breadsticks on a pizza screen or pan, these go into the oven at the highest temp it will go, just the same for pizza. These will cook up in about 5–6 minutes. The browning is activated by heat. So when cooking these, during the last minute or so, place the oven on broil to accelerate the browning.
Brush On Sauce
Place the Brush on Sauce in a small pan large enough to fit the breadsticks and hold the sauce. Place the breadsticks in the pan and brush with the sauce, ensuring you cover fully. Then transfer to a plate with tongs for seasoning.
You can also place the sauce in a bowl and place the breadsticks on a rack over a catch pan. Then thoroughly brush the breadsticks with the sauce.
The Garlic Sauce is a nice and quick sauce that can be used to brush the Bread Sticks and as a dipping sauce.
Maritime Bagel Seasoning
Maritime Bagel Seasoning is the same as Everything Bagel Seasoning, except there are an additional 6 ingredients that bring extra flavors. Sprinkle over the breadsticks after brushing with the brush on sauce.
This is my own version of it which I absolutely love way better than the standard everything bagel seasoning, mainly because of the extra oomph of Garlic & Onion, the other components assist as well in delivering well-rounded & unique flavors. Although, you can use the standard everything bagel seasoning just as well.
Bagel Twistixs Dipping Sauce
Use any of the below or all as the dipping sauces for Bagel Twistixs!
Halifax Donair Sauce. Easy to prepare, needs some time to be refrigerated for the sauce to develop.
Base Pizza Sauce ready in 5 minutes. Add other herbs & Spices as you see fit.
Papa John’s style Garlic Sauce can be used to brush the breadsticks with the remaining sauce used for dipping.
- Pizza Screen or Pan
- Small tray with a screen & Brush
- 2-4 tsp Water - See notes
- 1 tsp Baked Baking Soda
- Preheat the oven to the highest setting.On a cornmeal-dusted surface, flatten the pizza dough out and shape it into a rectangle. Brush generously the bagel wash on the dough. Then cut 6–8 breadsticks.
- Twist the breadsticks once while transferring to a pizza screen or pan and bake for 6 minutes. During the last 1–2 minutes, place the oven on broil to promote faster browning.
- Transfer the breadsticks to a catch pan with a screen on top and brush with the melted Garlic Sauce covering all the breadsticks.
- Transfer the breadsticks to a plate with tongs and season with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Serve them with Dipping Sauce. (Pizza Sauce, Donair Sauce, more Garlic Sauce)
Baked Baking SodaPlace 1/2 C or more of Baking soda on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour at 250 F. Careful handling this and do not breathe in or get in eyes, it can cause severe irritation. Transfer to a storage container and seal.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…