An Excellent and Tasty Urfa Rice Recipe just by itself or used within a platter dish as in Middle Eastern Meatball Platter. This Rice Dish can also be served with other meats with or without a White Sauce that goes on top. This can be Tzatziki Sauce or a Seasoned Yogurt & Sour Cream Based Sauce.
About URFA Biber Pepper
Urfa Biber is dried Turkish chili pepper. Cultivated in the Urfa region of Turkey. Often described as having a raisin-like taste, Sweet, slightly smoky flavor with elements of dried fruit. Made by salting and drying the chilies in the sun. Then wrapping them up at night so they sweat.
Urfa Biber is technically a red pepper, ripening to a dark maroon on the plant. This sweating process gives the chiles a rich, earthy flavor and smoky aroma. Urfa peppers are a 3-4 on a heat scale of 1-10. The heat develops slowly and has more bite than Aleppo crushed red peppers.
Orzo and Barley
Orzo is a short grained pasta, shaped like a grain of Rice. It is added for Texture Contrast. Fried in butter and oil until a color change takes place. You could Fry longer for a deep brown color if desired.
For additional texture contrast, we add Barely. This is one of the ways I incorporate Barley into my foods. Barely is a powerhouse of nutrients and works extremely well with Rice.
Normally with Rice, you add double to amount of water. I find this does not give the best texture. Using slightly less water gives you dryer firmer and fluffy rice.
For this recipe. We stay at double the water due to the added Orzo and Barley, which absorb water as well. The amounts added are small but enough to offer contrast and texture and the resulting rice is much better.
Urfa Rice Supporting Flavors
Along with Onions & Garlic, we add a few spices for support. One Herb, Marjoram for this recipe. Optionally exchange with Sage or Oregano. Additional spices for support. Finally, Ufra is added for its Fantastic Taste and slow building heat.
- Rice Cooker
- 1 1/2 C Basmati Rice – Rinsed
- 3 C Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbl Orzo
- 2 Tbl Barley
- 2 Tbl Butter
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbl Beef Suet or Oil
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1 tsp Urfa Pepper – add more if desired
- 1 tsp Seasoning Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Ground
- Wash Rice well and Strain all water out and place into Rice Maker.
- Melt the Beef Suet or Oil with Butter and Fry Orzo until color change takes place. Add Onions and Garlic and Saute for a few seconds. Add to the Rice Maker.
- Add Remaining Ingredients and mix well. Cook.
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your…
- Chicken Broccoli CasseroleThis is an incredibly comforting Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Made with diced Chicken Breast, Broccoli florets and Rice, enveloped by a Flavorful Creamy Sauce, and topped with melted Cheddar or Velveeta Cheese, making every mouthful an absolute delight. Chicken Broccoli Casserole Ingredients Made with Chicken…
- Cream of Mushroom Pork ChopsCream of Mushroom Pork Chops is a simple and comforting dish with fork tender meat and a succulent savory Mushroom Gravy. This recipe is oven braised Pork Chops, with an unthickened Mushroom Gravy used to braise and thickened right before serving. Although there are different…