The Maritimer Pizza with Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Hot Dogs and Green Peppers and/or Bacon. For us growing up in the Maritimes, homemade Pizza always had Hot Dogs on it. Although, this never made it to Pizzerias. I kind of miss it and that is what prompted me to do this recipe for what is called the Maritimer Pizza and to take some Pride in Canadian Made Pizzas.
The Canadian Pizza, which is also called by that name or the Canadian Classic is Bacon, Pepperoni & Mushrooms.
Another Maritimer version in Cape Breton, NS is the Combination Pizza. Which has Pepperoni, Mushrooms, and Green Peppers, also called the Maritime Classic. This is also the Montreal Style Pizza from my understanding.
Quebec has its specialty, which is the All Dressed. This is Spicy Tomato Sauce, Pepperoni, Green Pepper slices, Mushrooms, and sometimes Onions.
The Poutine Pizza variety is topped with French fries, Gravy, and Mozzarella Curds.
The Hawaiian Pizza which is Tomato Sauce, Ham, Pineapple and usually Bacon is actually a Canadian creation as well.
Pizza in the Southwestern Ontario city of Windsor is identified by its use of shredded Pepperoni and Mozzarella Cheese.
Although fresh mushrooms are the norm for most Pizzerias. This style was originally known for using Canned Mushrooms. The distinct qualities of Windsor-area pizza are believed to have originated with the now-closed Volcano Pizza in Windsor’s downtown core.
I know in the Maritimes, Canned Mushrooms were often used as well. Whether that comes from Ontario or to Ontario from the Maritimes, I’m not sure.
The Maritime Pizza is topped with Pepperoni, Green Peppers and Mushrooms in Pizzerias, often called the Maritime Classic or Combination Pizza. Different from the Canadian Classic which is Pepperoni, Bacon and Mushrooms. The Maritimer Pizza is based on the homemade version, which always adds the addition of Hot Dogs. Either sliced or cut into strips. With or without the addition of canned Mushrooms.
Canned mushrooms were often used. Which offer a distinctive taste that differs from fresh mushrooms, which may or may not be desirable.
Still to this day you see Maritimers making homemade pizza with hot dogs on it. I’m not sure why this topping never made it into Pizzerias. Maybe it’s an acquired taste. In the Maritimes this is normal. We’ve always done this.
- Canadian Classic: Pepperoni, Bacon and Mushrooms
- Maritime Classic or Combination Pizza: Pepperoni, Green Peppers and Mushrooms
- Maritimer Pizza: Pepperoni, canned Mushrooms, Hot Dogs with Green Peppers and/or Bacon
I save my Pizza Box for when I make Pizza at Home. I usually make 3 or more, and the Pizza boxes make it easier for the Pizza to be stacked and take up less room. Plus, it’s Kinda Cool.
For this recipe, we are doing both. I shredded the Hot Dogs because I think it gives more appeal than slices of Hot Dogs and is in alignment with how in Ontario and in some other places Pepperoni is served shredded, but either way is fine.
In addition, I added Bacon, Pepperoni, and Green Peppers. A Combination of Toppings seen in Canadian Pizzas to really deliver this Maritimer Pizza.
Add whatever toppings you want, just be sure to include the Hot Dogs and maybe some Canned Mushrooms for Maritime Taste.
Ensure enough time for the Pizza Dough to proof properly. It needs a day or more, or at least a good 12 hours. Start the Dough the day before.
The earliest I have used it was to make it in the Morning. With the first ferment for a few hours. Then add the remaining flour and let rise for a few hours in the oven, covered. Then shape into Dough Balls and let rise again a few hours covered in the oven. I usually make the Pizza late evening, if I started the Pizza dough in the morning with pretty good success. All together, this is about 12 hours of proofing. You do get better results, starting the dough the day before. Of course, you can always pick up some store bought Pizza Dough and thaw it out.
Domino’s makes their Dough and portions into Dough Balls right away. Then refrigerates it for 3 days before it is used. Using it earlier, and you won’t get a good stretch.
I use my standard Passata Pizza Sauce. You could spice it up with some added Herbs & Spices or add some heat like the Spicy All Dressed Pizza in the form of Sriracha Sauce, Chili Oil, Hot Peppers.
Maritimer Pizza Toppings
The main Topping is Hot Dogs, either sliced or cut Julienne. Canned Mushrooms can and usually are added. This is combined with the Maritime Classic or Combination with the addition of Pepperoni and either Green Peppers and/or Bacon.
Slice the Hot Dogs or slice into strips.
Squeeze the juices out from the Mushrooms before topping the Pizza.
Whether you place the toppings under the cheese or on top, layer them with the flat toppings first. Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Hot Dogs, Green Peppers.
By far, the best cheese to use for homemade Pizza is the combination of High Moisture Saputo’s Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone. Shredded at a ratio of 3:1 Mozza & Provolone.
Use a food processor to do this up quickly and throw into a freezer bag both the 3 Cups of shredded Mozzarella with 1 Cup of Shredded Provolone and toss to mix through and store in the freezer.
Saputo Mozzarella Cheese
Make up some Dipping Sauces for your Pizza Crust.
- 1 Pizza Stone
- 1 Pizza Screen
- Preheat the oven the highest it will go, with the rack in middle position or one notch higher and the pizza stone in place. Prepare the Pizza Sauce, Toppings and Cheese.
- Form a Crust with your fingertips around the edge and flatten out the center. Stretch the Dough out on a Floured or Cornmeal surface. Hand toss to shake off any excess and place on a Pizza Screen or Tray.
- Sauce with Pizza Sauce and Top on before or after the Cheese, starting with flat toppings first.PepperoniMushroomsHot DogsPeppersOptionally, some Bacon or other toppings.
- Place into the oven to cook for 4 minutes, then turn the Pizza around and remove from the screen to go directly on the pizza stone. Leave in there for 3 minutes. Afterward, optionally broil the Top for color for about 1 minute if needed.
- Remove and transfer to a large cutting board. Slice the Pizza and let cool a bit before serving. Optionally shake on some Pizza Shake and/or serve with Pizza Dipping sauce.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…