JFC Poutine with Crisp Golden Fries, Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese Blend, smothered in JFC Gravy. Add in some extras!. Add JFC Fried Chicken stripped off the bone for a JFC Chicken Poutine or some JFC Popcorn Chicken for a JFC Popcorn Chicken Poutine.
Rendered Chicken Fat
The dish starts with rendered chicken fat (Schmaltz or Crackling) and a good amount of it. Use 1/3 C to make the gravy and 1/4 C as the fat to coat the fries for air frying. Using the rendered fat in both dishes really elevates the overall dish with a strong chicken flavor. you can just deep fry the fries or oven bake them too.
Chop the fat into small pieces and render in a frying pan over medium to medium-low heat until all the fat is rendered out and all that remains is golden crispy crackling.
After the fat has been rendered, scoop out the crackling to discard or chop it into small pieces to add to the gravy. Allow the Fat to cool before adding some to the fries and before making the Gravy.
You can choose not to render the fat and instead use lard or neutral oil. However, the rendered chicken fat really does offer superior flavor. Get into the habit of saving the chicken trimmings and skin into a Ziploc bag and freezing for recipes that can benefit from rendered chicken fat.
You can opt to Deep Fry the French Fries. In this recipe, we are really upping the chicken flavor so we are using rendered chicken fat to coat the thick-cut fries and air frying for some Air Fryer French Fries.
Use 1/4 C of rendered fat for 1 lb of thick-cut Fries with 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp of Sea Salt. Toss the frozen fries in a bowl with the fat and salt and let thaw for 30 minutes before air frying the fries.
You can also deep fry the french fries with storebought fries or make Homemade Fries.
Prepare the JFC Gravy at the same time you cook the fries so that both are pretty much hot and ready to go. I typically bread Chicken to deep fry and use 1/3 C of it from the leftover breading to make the gravy.
Use a 3:1 blend of shredded high moisture mozzarella cheese & Provolone Cheese. Add a small amount of Shredded Cheddar Cheese. This is optional but it really adds a nice sharpness.
Use other cheeses in small amounts like Monterey Jack Cheese added to the Mozzarella & Provolone.
JFC Poutine with the Works
To make it a full course meal, top with Stovetop and/or Corn Kernels with some Fried Chicken. This takes it to the Newfie Poutine Style of a dish. Other ingredients too like Bacon, Sauteed or Fried Onions, Green Peas, Mixed vegetables or whatever else your belly desires.
- Air Fryer or Deep Fryer
- 1 lb French Fries
- 1 portion JFC Gravy
- 2 C Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese Blend - – 3:1 ratio
- 1/2 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese - – optional
- Prepare the JFC Gravy and Deep Fry or Air Fry the French Fries.
- Shred the Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese separately. Combine 3 Cups of Mozza and 1 Cup of Provolone into a Ziploc bag and mix. Use this as the cheese over the poutine. Optionally with a bit of Cheddar Cheese. Freeze the remaining cheese.
- Plate the Fries and cover with Cheese. Ladle the desired amount of hot gravy overtop and serve. Optionally Top with extras!
- Burrito BowlThis Taco Burrito Bowl is made with all the same ingredients used to make a Taco Burrito. All layered in a Plate, Bowl or Tortilla Bowl. Place everything out on the table, so everyone can build their own with some Soda and enjoy a Family … Read more
- Aioli Pork ChopsAioli Pork Chops are just Phenomenal! These Pork Chops are marinated in an Aioli Marinade using the Jar version of it. Where everything is placed into a Jar and puréed with an Immersion Blender. Slow cooked until fork tender. Just as they come out of … Read more
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your … Read more