Braised Pork with Olives
Oh, we getting fancy! Even if you don’t like olives or not that crazy about olives. You might be surprised with this Braised Pork with Olives dish. If you love Olives, this is a new way of enjoying them.
It’s also just a classic dish to have once in a while.
Braised Pork with Olives Components
This dish is a braised Pork Chop/Steak. Preferably bone in. Resulting in a soft tender meat that absorbs the sauce flavoring and enhancing the sauce. That further gets reduced down to concentrate the flavors.
The sauce can also be frozen if there are leftovers.
Rendering Fat for the Sear
Check out my post on Rendered Fat for more information.
Trim the excess fat off the Pork Chops/Steak and make crackling while rendering fat that will assist in searing the Pork Chops/Steak and add flavor.
This will create a fond that you will lift when you cook your vegetables creating another fond. You then lift this fond up with the Sake or White Wine or Red Wine if using Steak.
You continue to cook this. Evaporating the alcohol and concentrating the flavors.
Sauce for Braised Pork with Olives
Add in the Broth and Crushed Tomatoes if not using Chopped of Diced Tomatoes.
Optionally you can use the Base Tomato Sauce I use for Pizza Sauce.
This is the sauce that braises the meat resulting in succulent, fork tender Pork/Beef. Strain the sauce for a fine sauce or include the vegetables for a chunkier sauce.
After you have braised the meat and either strained the sauce or not. Reduce the Sauce down simmering it on the stovetop until it easily coats the back of a spoon and holds.
Add in your flavoring Herbs & Spices to taste. This is the serving sauce that you will serve over the Pork Chops/Steak. Then Garnish if desired. There you have it, Braised Pork with Olives.
Braised Pork with Olives
- 4 Pork chops – preferably fatty bone in 1 inch
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- as needed Oil
- 1 Onion – Diced
- 1 Carrot – Diced
- 3 C Beef or Pork Broth
- 1 C Crushed Tomatoes or Base Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 C Sake – or other white wine
- 1-2 Tbl each sliced Green & Black Olives – or more if desired
- 1 Tbl Flour
- to taste Parsley, Thyme & Marjoram
- In a pan over medium heat, place fat trimmings from pork and continue to cook until fat has been rendered and the fat trimmings are crisp. If there is not enough fat rendered you can add some oil. If there is too much, save some for future use. Discard the crisp bit (Crackling) or chop very finely and add to sauce before placing in the oven.
- Salt & Pepper your Pork Chops lightly and place in the pan with the rendered fat. Sear both sides. About 5 minutes per side. Remove the Pork Chops and place in Braising dish.
- Add Onions, Carrots & Olives and sweat just a few seconds. Mix in the flour and cook for about a minute. Deglaze the pan with Sake or White Wine and reduce until almost dry. Add Broth and Crushed Tomatoes if using and bring to boil then pour into braising pan.
- Cook in oven at 350 F for 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until tender.Remove the pork chops and strain the liquid through a fine mesh into a cooking pot. Bring the strained liquid to boil then simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Add Parsley, Thyme and Marjoram to taste. Adjust Seasoning (Salt & Pepper)Serve Sauce over Pork Chops. Garnish with more Olives, Parsley, Green Onions, Chili Flakes etc..