Quick Tomato Soup
Quick Tomato Soup that can be made up in about 5 minutes with minimal ingredients. Nice balance of flavors served as a bowl of soup with a side dish or used in other recipes as an ingredient. Adjust the base flavors to suit your taste.
CAMPBELL’S TOMATO SOUP INGREDIENTS
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Natural Flavoring, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate, Celery Extract, Garlic Oil.
Homemade Campbell’s Tomato Soup
Campbells is a very sweet tomato soup with a bit of tang. In fact, I wash shocked at just how sweet it is in comparison to this recipe. They do use High Fructose Corn Syrup which is much sweeter than your standard white sugar.
To achieve a similar taste and appearance in this recipe. Place the tomato paste in the saucepot along with the butter and whisk well. Cook until the butter is absorbed 1-2 minutes. Then add in the remaining ingredients and more sugar to achieve the same level of sweetness as Campbells.
Use Celery Salt as the Salt component and a bit of Aioli for the Garlic Oil. You could also simmer 1-2 stalks of Celery & 1-2 Garlic Cloves. Either way, Campbell’s tomato soup is flavored with Celery & Garlic. Sugar, Salt, Fat, and Acid are used to balance the flavors.
Quick Tomato Soup Ingredients
Pick up a good-quality tomato paste. It will make all the difference in the world. Pick a can or two up at your local Middle Eastern store. They carry far superior Tomato Paste than the local supermarkets. Look for a double concentrated Tomato Paste. These have a much richer flavor.
Quick Tomato Soup Liquids
Add Water, Broth, Milk as the base liquid for the Quick tomato sauce and at various ratios.
- The ratio is about 3:1 of Water to Tomato Paste to create Tomato Juice. This is the standard Tomato Soup.
- For brothy tomato soups, add in 1 Maggi bouillon cube. Either chicken or beef.
- Add a small amount of cream for a creamy Tomato Soup.
It’s really entirely up to you what you add for liquids or any combination of liquids to create your favorite version.
Butter is the go-to for added fats in tomato soup. It also contributes to the creaminess. More butter could certainly be added.
Cream of Tartar
This will add a bit of acidity to the soup as well as exaggerate the creaminess of the soup overall. It works exceptionally well with Tomato Soup.
Interestingly, Potassium within the Cream of Tartar counterbalances the salt that is added. If you have high blood pressure, you just need to increase your potassium intake. Check out my post on Potassium Deficiency to learn more.
Tomato Soup Seasoning
Add Salt & Pepper to taste or use Vegeta in place, which does a very nice job of seasoning.
Add sugar to achieve the desired sweetness. This also counteracts the acidity from the cream of tartar, creating a very nice balance.
Include additional Herbs & Spices to shape the flavors how you like. Some ideas are Celery Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Basil, Bay Leaves, Parsley, Oregano.
Butter popcorn seasoning can be added to increase the butter flavor. This will also tone down the acidity as well.
Tomato Soup Base Flavors
The Tomato Soup base is Tomato Paste & Water. This is in effect a Tomato Juice. To this, a balance of Salt, Sugar, Acid, Fat, and Heat are adjusted. Any additional Herbs or Spices can be added.
Use Sea Salt, Kosher Salt, Pink Salt, Celery Salt, Garlic Salt, Onion Salt, Vegeta, Butter Popcorn seasoning.
Add White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Corn Syrup, Honey, Stevia, or other sugar substitutes.
Cream of Tartar works exceptionally well at not only adding acidic taste but at exaggerating the creaminess. This can be exchanged with Citric Acid, Lemon Juice, or Vinegar.
Butter is the go-to fat for tomato soup. If making a brothy tomato soup, then rendered fat can be used. Olive oil can be used as well.
Heat should be added with Black or White Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, or a bit of Hot Sauce. Not noticeable, unless of course, you’re going for that. Just enough to add an extra dimension to the flavors.
Quick Tomato Soup Garnish
Garnish with Sliced Green Onions, Basil Leaves, Chili Flakes, Crushed Crackers, or Everything Bagel Seasoning.
Quick Tomato Soup Side Dishes
Serve with a variety of Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Serve up a bowl with Crackers on the side, Buttered Dinner Rolls, or Crusty Bread.
How to store Tomato Paste
Tomato Paste will go bad very quickly in the refrigerator. To prolong the life of Tomato paste and always have this in supply. Portion the tomato paste into an icecube tray and freeze, then place them into a freezer bag. Optionally portion into 1/4 C – 1/2 C portions in Ziploc bags and freeze. Depending on how much you typically use.
This way you can preserve the tomato paste for a very long time and have it in supply for numerous recipes. If you freeze them into Ziploc bags, squeeze the air out and lay them flat. This allows for quick freezing and thawing.
Quick Tomato Soup
- 1 1/2 C Water
- 1/2 C Tomato Paste - – Good Quality / double concentrate
- 2 Tbl Butter
- 2 tsp White Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- To Taste Salt & White Pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a saucepot. Mix well, Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Season with Salt & Pepper to taste. Optionally add cream and garnish with Everything Bagel or Crushed Crackers.
- KFC Chips ReviewThis is a review on the new KFC Chips being offered for a limited time across Canada. Do they taste Like KFC Chicken or is this just a Marketing ploy? Ruffles & KFC recently released a version of Chips seasoned with the Secret Herbs &…
- Chourico KebabsPortuguese Style Marinated and Cured Chunks of Skewered Pork cooked in a Rotisserie or the Oven for some really outstanding Chourico Kebabs. I have been fascinated with Portuguese Chourico Sausages ever since I was introduced to them. Making use of them into a few dishes…
- Mustarshire BurgerSeared & Seasoned Quarter Pound Burger on a Buttered & Toasted Sesame Bun. Topped with shredded Lettuce, Tomato Slice, long sliced Pickles and Sautéed Onions with the Flavor Packed Mustarshire Sauce that just pulls the whole Burger together. Burger Patties Make sure you have the…