Hot Dog Poutine
Hot Dog Poutine smothered in Fav Pork Gravy with Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese. Add Crispy Bacon Bits and Onions! or some Pickles! Maybe some Ketchup over top!
I use the Air fryer to fry up these French fries coated in rendered Pork fat or melted lard. Bacon Grease or Beef Suet can be used too.
Take the Fries out of the freezer and measure 1 lb. Place them into a bowl with the melted Fat drizzled over and salted. Toss well and let sit for about 20-30 minutes before air frying.
Of course, you can just opt to deep fry the French fries and prepare everything else at the same time.
Hot Dogs either sliced or julienne cut and then fried up before building the Hot Dog Poutine. Use 2 Hot Dogs per serving. Fry them up however done you like them. Some like a light frying while others like a heavy fry.
Hot Dog Poutine Cheese
Poutine is traditionally topped with cheese curds, which are pretty expensive. I find that shredded cheese can be used and more readily since I usually have various cheese stocked for other dishes. Use a Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese Blend, 50/50 or Marble Cheese. About 3/4 C – 1 C for each Portion. Add a bit of Monterrey Jack Cheese if you’d like.
Hot Dog Poutine Gravy
For this post I used Fav Pork Gravy. I am not sure what it is about the Fava beans that makes them pair so well with hot dogs, but it is a really good gravy for them.
Other toppings like Bacon, Diced Onions, Green Onions, and Pickles can be added. If including Bacon & Onions. Chop the Bacon finely and fry crisp, then add the Onions to sauté a bit with the Bacon and bacon fat. Scoop this out to top the poutine but reserve the bacon fat to fry up the hot dogs.
There are so many other toppings that can go on and accent sauces too like Ketchup or Chili Sauce. Which I really love with Gravy.
Bologna is just a huge Hot Dog, the two are practically the same in flavor. A Bologna Poutine can be made by Pan Frying some Bologna and then slicing it into small pieces to top the Fries. Just the same as Hot Dogs.
Hot Dog Poutine
- Air Fryer
- 4 Hot Dogs - – Sliced or Julienne
- 1 C Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese
- 1 portion Fav Pork Gravy
Air Fryer Fries
- 1 lb Fries - – Thick Cut
- 1/4 C Rendered Pork Fat - – or use Lard, Bacon Grease, or Neutral Oil
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt - – depending on taste, about 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp
- Place frozen French Fries into a Bowl and add fat with the Sea Salt. Toss well to ensure every fry gets coated. Let thaw 20-30 minutes.
- Chop or Slice the Hot Dogs, Fry them in the skillet with a bit of fat and set aside. If adding Bacon & Onions. Cook these up first and use the reserved Bacon Grease to fry the hot dogs up.Combine shredded Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese and set aside.
- Prepare the Fav Pork Gravy at the same time you start cooking the fries. Place the Fries into the Air Fryer and Air Fry at 400 F for 30 minutes. At 15 minutes, toss the French Fries around. If they look dry add a bit more Fat. Toss them 2 more times at 5 minute intervals. The last 5 minutes, toss them around every minute or so. They should be crisp and have good color.
- Plate the Fries. Add the Hot Dogs and any other toppings, Sprinkle Cheese on and Ladle Hot Gravy over top.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…