BBQ Steak Poutine
BBQ Steak Poutine! Fries & Cheese with Small Slivers of Steak with Onions, Peppers, and Mushrooms served with a BBQ Sauce Gravy that packs a bit of heat. Not too much but enough to sniffle.
BBQ Steak Sauce/Gravy
St Hubert’s Gravy is the Sauce used for this dish. This is a type of BBQ Sauce and Gravy. With added White & Black Pepper to get that Spicy Kick.
I also swapped out the Maggi Chicken Broth and instead used 2 Maggi Beef Cubes and 1 Maggi Chicken Cube. Since I was using the Sauce with Steak. It’s not necessary but I think it gives that extra beefiness.
With the Sauce made up, the extra bit of heat added and on standby. It’s time to move on to the next components.
Rib Eye Steak or Prime Rib is what was used for this recipe. Other cuts may be used as well.
Trim off any Fat on the Steaks and chop into small pieces. Place the Fat Trimming in a Wok or Skillet over medium heat to render the Fat out. This will be used to cook the Steaks Shavings as well as the Vegetables.
If there isn’t enough Fat. Beef Suet or Oil can be added. You only need about 1 – 2 Tbl to Cook the Steak and Vegetables.
Once the Meat is cooked and set aside, it’s time to move unto the Toppings.
Sauteed Mushroom, Onion, and Peppers are used for the Poutine Toppings.
Sear the mushrooms over high heat in the rendered fat for a few minutes until nice and brown. Not moving them around much so that they brown a bit.
Then Drop the heat down to medium to cook the Diced Onions and Peppers until softened. A few more minutes.
Remove them from the pan and pick the fond up with the St Hubert Style Sauce. Before Placing the Meat and Vegetables back into the Skillet to be reheated later.
For Mushroom Lovers, cut the Mushrooms in large pieces either half or quartered, and use 1 lb of Mushrooms.
I used Store bought Fries, however in hindsight, the Homemade Fries would have been better. The Homemade Baked Potato Fries are going to give you that Baked Potato Taste which I think would pair really well with this dish.
However, I didn’t want to go through the process of making them. So I picked up some Fries and deep-fried the same method that is used for the homemade fries.
Heat up the Oil to 400 F and deep fry until the steam has subsided a bit. Lift the Fries out and allow the Oil to come back to temp.
Then Deep Fry again until there is no longer any steam evaporating. Lift the Fries out and allow the Oil to come back to temp.
Finally Deep fry for about 20-30 seconds for final crisping. Salt and optionally Pepper the Fries as soon as they come out of the Fryer.
For this dish, you don’t want Thin Cut or Shoestring Fries. You can if you want but I believe a Thicker cut Fry is going to work better.
I use a mixture of Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone Cheese at a Ratio of 3:1. It is absolutely amazing and the Provolone really kicks up the flavor especially with meats.
Cheese Curds work as well and are originally used for Poutine Dishes. Either one or both is Fine.
BBQ Steak Poutine
- Deep Fryer
- Wok or Skillet
- Heat up the Deep Fryer & Prepare the St Hubert's Style Gravy. Add more Heat to the Sauce with Black & White Pepper so that it is to your desired level of spiciness and set aside.
- Trim the Fat from the Steak, Chop into small pieces and Place into a Skillet or Wok over medium heat until the Fat is rendered. If there is not enough, Beef Suet or Oil can be added. You only need about 1 – 2 Tbl. Slice Thin the Steak and Prepare the Vegetables and cut to desired size and shape. Either diced or sliced.
- Place the Fries into the deep fryer and leave there until almost all of the steam is gone. Cook the Thin Sliced Steaks in a Skillet over medium high heat in the rendered fat until done. Set this aside reserving the Fat for the Mushrooms.
- Place the Mushrooms into the same Skillet over High Heat and Saute until browned. Reduce the heat to medium and add in your Onions and Peppers and continue to cook until softened. A Few minutes. Set aside. Pour a bit of the Sauce into the skillet to lift any fond and incorporate back into the Sauce. Place the Meat and Vegetables back into the Skillet to be reheated later.
- Lift the Fries out of the Deep Fryer and allow the Oil to come back to temp. Place them back into the Oil and Cook until there is no longer any steam evaporating. Lift the Fries out and allow the Oil to come back to temp.
- Warm up the BBQ Sauce Gravy and the Vegetables & Meat. Place the Fries back in for about 30 seconds then lift out and place into a large Pot and Season with Salt & optionally Pepper.
- Plate the Fries and Place the Vegetables & Meat on top. Sprinkle with Cheese and Ladle Sauce over top to Serve right away.
- Burrito BowlThis Taco Burrito Bowl is made with all the same ingredients used to make a Taco Burrito. All layered in a Plate, Bowl or Tortilla Bowl. Place everything out on the table, so everyone can build their own with some Soda and enjoy a Family … Read more
- Aioli Pork ChopsAioli Pork Chops are just Phenomenal! These Pork Chops are marinated in an Aioli Marinade using the Jar version of it. Where everything is placed into a Jar and puréed with an Immersion Blender. Slow cooked until fork tender. Just as they come out of … Read more
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your … Read more