For the Donair Dogs I’m bringing it back to its Roots. I’ve seen Donair Hot Dogs and Sausages and they can certainly be used here for Donair Dogs as well. For my version of it, I’d rather keep it close to the Donair origins. Over there it’s all about kebabs.
Now that I got my Swords/Skewers. I’ll be making a bunch of different types of Kebabs. Don’t worry too much about the shaping, just get the meat on there the best you can. Over time you will get better at shaping these Ridged Style, Flat, Coned, etc…
Donair Dogs are Halifax Donair Meat Kebabs at 75 g per portion. Grilled or Broiled and Served on a Hot Dog Bun with Diced Tomatoes, Onions, and Donair Sauce. Optionally the cavity can be filled with Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone at a ratio of 3:1. Brilliant! Halifax Style Donair Kebabs with a Gooey Cheese Filling and the Provolone in the Mozzarella really make this something else.
Donair Dogs Kebab
The Stainless Steel Skewers can be picked up at your local Halal/Middle Eastern Store. These are large Skewers 1 inch in width and 2 feet long. They are meant to be used on a grill or BBQ.
These can be used inside the home as well. however, If you have a small Stove you may need to cut these in half and then cut to create the Tip in order to fit in the oven. Even if you have a large oven that can fit these in sideways, you may still wish to cut these for easy flipping while in the oven.
For inside the home, I place the Kebabs on top of a casserole dish which serves to hold the skewers up as well as a catch pan for the drippings while the meat is broiling on the Top Rack.
The recipe below makes about 6 of these so you may want to pick up 3 – 4 Swords to cut in half or more if you’re planning on having some Kebab Cookouts on the BBQ. I plan on picking up some more for the BBQ. I got mine for about $3.00 CAD a piece.
Hot Dog Bun
Diced Onions and Tomatoes for Veggies. Optionally with Mozzarella Cheese Stuffed inside the Cavity or the Kebab sliced down one side to create an open-faced Kebab and Mozzarella Cheese placed on top.
The Toppings can go on after or Before the Oven Bake with or without Cheese.
If the Onion taste is too strong. You can soak these in water to help take the edge off. I usually place my Diced Tomatoes and Onions in water to Soak and then Strain and use for Toppings.
The Donair Sauce gets ladled on after the cook but for me, I like cooked Donair sauce too and the tiny grainy texture it offers when cooked. I also place fresh Donair Sauce on top. Up to you when and how you want to add your donair sauce.
Cooking Donair Dogs
On the Grill, flip over every 30 seconds or so on high heat to sear at first and repeat until browned nicely and done. Internal temp of 165 F if measuring.
For the Stove, Broiled for 1-2 minutes per side to sear, then flipped over about every 1-2 minutes until browned nicely or done. On the top Rack. Total Cook time of about 10 minutes.
Steam the Hot Dog Buns and then Bake in the oven at 450 F for 5 minutes with the Kebab and optionally Donair Sauce.
- Turkish 1 Inch wide Metal Skewers
- 1 lbs Raw JAH Halifax Donair Meat | Rested for 1 hour or more
- 6 Hot Dog Buns
- Donair Sauce
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1 Onion diced
- Optional Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese 3:1 Ratio Stuffed inside the Cavity or on top
- Have the Donair Meat prepared. Place the Oven Rack at top position and on Broil. Allow to come to Temp while preparing. After the Donair meat has had time to rest in the fridge. Weigh the meat out into 75 g portions. This should give you about 6 Kebabs.
- Shape the 75 g Portions unto the Skewers with wet hands and Place the Skewers on top of a casserole dish, this serves to hold the meat up and away from any contact on the meat and as a drip pan. Optionally you can Grill these.
- Place the Casserole Dish with the Kebabs on the Top Rack and Broil for 1-2 minutes. Flip and Broil the Other Side for 1-2 Minutes. Flip again every 1-2 minutes until nice browning. Total Time of about 10 minutes or an internal temp of 165 F. Remove and allow to cool. Reduce the Oven to 450 F and Move the Rack to Middle Position.
- Brush the Hot Dog Buns with Garlic Butter, then Steam the Hot Dog Buns and place them into the casserole dish you just used. Place some Donair Sauce on . Optionally Fill the Kebabs with Mozzarella Cheese or Open the Kebab up to stuff with Cheese and place into the Hot Dog Bun.
- Place the Donair Dogs into the Oven for 5 minutes. Remove and Sauce on more Donair Sauce and Top with Diced Tomatoes and Onions. Garnish with Parsley if desired and Serve.