Donair Oven Sub
Another way to enjoy the Classic Donair is by preparing it as a Donair Oven Sub. It’s an Oven Sub Brushed with Garlic Butter. Filled with Donair Meat and Donair Sauce, topped with Onions & Tomatoes with Cheese. Oven-Baked at 450 F for 5 minutes.
Donair Oven Sub Ingredients
Donair Meat on an Ovensub Bun with diced tomatoes & Onions, Donair Sauce and Cheese.
Prepare the Donair Sauce and set it aside. Up to you whether you place it on the oven sub and/or add it after the Oven Sub is cooked. I personally like some on to cook as well as adding some later.
Onion & Tomatoes
Dice the Onions and Tomatoes and allow them to sit in Cold Water for a bit. Strain when ready to use. This washes the Tomatoes and takes the edge off of the Onions.
You can place this under the meat, mixed with the meat, or on top.
Oven Sub Bread
Pick up some long bread loaves Artisan, Ciabatta, French, Italian, or whatever you prefer. Cut this in half to get 2 equal-sized Oven Subs. Then slice in half, separating the top and bottom to get 4 Open-faced Oven Subs. You can also use Hoagie / Sub buns as they are, no need to slice in half.
Cut a V to remove most of the bread that will allow us to place more donair meat in the Sub. You can just leave it flat, skipping the V cut as well. But I find I can fit more donair meat in if you cut the V as well as the Donair meat staying in Place while eating for the most part.
Pile on the Donair Meat and Top with Additional Donair Sauce. Then sprinkle on some Onions and Tomatoes.
This recipe uses JAH Halifax Donair Spice.
Use a Mozza & Provolone Cheese Blend and Sprinkle this on top. It is far better than just Mozzarella Cheese and really makes it. A mix of Saputo’s Mozzarella Cheese and Provolone at a 3:1 Ratio. I absolutely love this cheese mix with Donairs.
Donair Oven Sub
- Cut the Bread Loaf In Half, then slice to separate the top from the Bottom and Create 2 Open Face Subs. Cut a V into each Bun to allow for more meat to be filled in. Optionally, Brush with Garlic Butter and some Donair Sauce.
- Stuff with Donair Meat, Onion & Tomatoes and add more Donair Sauce. Cover with Cheese.
- Place into a preheated oven on 450 F for 5 minutes. Broil the top if needed.
- Drizzle more Donair Sauce or Have on the Side to Dip and top with more Onions & Tomatoes if desired.
- Jerk ChickenJuicy, Fall off the Bone, Charred Crispy Jerk Chicken with that addictive taste and just the right Hit of Heat, that you can control. Make it as Mild, Medium, Spicy or Hot as desired. The Jerk Marinade is made up in a Jar in about … Read more
- Cabbage Roll SoupWhat a wonderful Savory Cabbage Roll Soup made from Salted Tender Cabbage and Rice with Parsley, Tarragon & Caraway to add that Cabbage Roll taste. This soup is based on the Vegetable Soup and can include a variety of meats, such as ground Beef, Pork, … Read more
- Swiss SteakFork Tender Swiss Steak with a Flavorful Beefy Tomato Sauce. Done Stove top, in a Slow Cooker or Oven Braised for a Delicious Comforting Meal. Add in your choice of herbs to shape the Flavors and serve with Mashed, Roasted or Steamed Potatoes, Crispy Fries, … Read more