Another JAH Original! What is Cabasta? It is Sliced Cabbage like Spaghetti Pasta, Italian Sausage, Meatballs, or any other form of Meat and Tomato-Based Sauce. It’s a Cabbage Roll presented differently and cooked up a lot faster.
This recipe can easily be converted over to Cabbage Rolls using Italian Sausage or Meatballs as the Filling. With a side of White Steamed Rice.
For this Recipe, JAH Quick Tomato Sauce is used with Italian Sausages. Cooked and then Sliced and Pan Fried. The Cabbage is mixed with the Other vegetables and salted. The Juices squeezed out and then steamed.
A substitute for Spaghetti Pasta. Sliced as thick or thin as you want. Optionally add Sauerkraut to it as well. This will have the added effect of adding Tang to the Sauce which is very common with this type of dish.
For the Cabbage, there are a couple of ways we can do this. First Core and Slice the Cabbage as thick or thin as desired.
- Using Kosher salt. Salt the Cabbage – optionally with the other vegetables, Mix and Squeeze it in and let drain until you are done with everything else.
- Or use the Sliced Cabbage as is with the other vegetables.
Cooking the Sliced Cabbage
For Cooking the Cabbage there are a couple of options as well.
- Boil the Cabbage Mix until tender with a dash of cream of tartar.
- Sauté the Cabbage Mix with some butter until tender
- Steam the Cabbage Mix with a dash of cream of tartar in the water.
- Optionally add Sauerkraut.
What to do with leftover cabbage
Adding meat is optional. You can keep this dish completely meatless. I always serve it with Sausages. But Meatballs works too. You can also fry up some Jack fruit and add it in.
A quick way of adding some meat is to use Sausage. Any kind you like. This is applicable for Cabbage Rolls as well. Instead of making the filling, use Sausages. Already Flavored and Formed perfectly for Cabbage Rolls.
You can Cook the Sausage, Slice, and then sauté to include with this Cabasta Dish. Or peel the Skin off and Shape meatballs.
If you want to make the filling then one options is to use Italian Sausage Meatballs or any other Meatball Recipe. Both the Sauce and Meatballs can be used here for this dish or for Cabbage Rolls.
Corned Beef can be used here as well. Either by itself or mixed in with your choice of meat filling. If making Cabbage Rolls you can spread a layer of Corned Beef unto the Cabbage leaf and then place the Sausage and Roll.
Bacon is another nice addition as well as Seasoned Sliced Meats like Steak or Pork.
Tomato Based Sauce
Here we are looking for a high note Tomato-Based Sauce usually with the addition of acid in some form or other.
Sauerkraut added with the Cabbage is perfect for this. Sauerkraut is a Fermented Soured Cabbage. Which offers acidity. Fermented Cabbage Leaves were used in old days to make Cabbage Rolls. So this is perfect.
Start by coring and slicing the cabbage. Then prepare any way you want by using it just as is or salting it.
Prepare the JAH Quick Tomato Sauce and set this aside.
Prepare and Cook the Meat you choose to use, whether that be Sausages, Meatballs, or any other form of meat. You can also skip the meat and have this as a Meatless Monday meal or fry up some Jack fruit to include with the dish.
To add more Color add in some additional vegetables. Like Peppers, Radish, Carrots. For aromatics add Onion, Garlic. I find that Green Bell peppers and Onions work really well with this dish.
For this post, I Salted the Cabbage along with everything else. The Onion, Garlic, Green Peppers, and Carrots. Squeezed out all the Juice and Steamed it until tender.
Once you have the Cabbage, Sauce, and Meat Ready. Plate with Cabbage Mix tossed with the Meat. Top off with sauce. Serve this with a side of Garlic bread and you’re good to go.
- 1 portion Quick Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 4 Sausages
- 1 small Cabbage - Cored, Quartered and Sliced
- 1 Tbl Kosher Salt - for Salting the Vegetables
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper - Sliced
- 1 Carrot - Shredded
- 2 cloves Garlic - Minced
- optional Sauerkraut as desired
- Peel the outer leaves off the Cabbage, Cut the Cabbage in 4 Quarters and Core. Slice the Cabbage to desired size. Prepare the Other Vegetables and add them to the Cabbage. Salt the Mixture with 1 Tbl Kosher Salt, mix and squeeze. Let sit until you are done with everything else.
- Prepare the Quick Tomato Sauce. Adjust the seasoning. Set aside and keep warm.
- Steam the Cabbage Mixture to desired tenderness. About 5–8 minutes. With 1/2 tsp cream of tartar in the water.
- Slice and Pan Sear the Sausages or cook your choice of meat while the cabbage is steaming. When done leave the meat in the pan to add the Cabbage Mixture to toss, when it is done steaming. This will pick up the extra oil and flavor on the bottom of the pan from the meat.
- Plate the Cabbage Mixture with meat and Top with Quick Tomato Sauce. Serve with Garlic Bread.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…