Greek Chicken either Seasoned with Greek Seasoning and cooked or Marinated before being cooked. Either way you do it, make sure you have a good Greek Seasoning. Use JAH Greek Seasoning or Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning for this recipe.
There are actually many types of Greek Chicken. This recipe is your classic one or at least the kind we think of when we say Greek Chicken. This is a marinade of Oil, Lemon Juice, Garlic with Yogurt and some Greek Seasoning, optionally with White Wine.
Use Chicken Quarters, Thighs or Legs. Check out my post on How to Prepare Chicken for how to clean the Thigh section from the internal organs in the backbone section.
Whether to leave the skin on or remove it is a matter of preference. You can also score the chicken if desired and allow the marinade to get in deeper.
Greek Chicken Breast
Chicken Breast are diced into about 1 inch cubes and marinated before being skewered and either cooked in the Oven or Grilled.
Greek Chicken Seasoning
JAH Greek Seasoning is the main seasoning used. Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning can be used just the same. More Greek Seasoning is sprinkled on when the Chicken is ready to be served or some Lemon Pepper.
Use JAH Greek Seasoning or Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning as the main Seasoning.
Greek Chicken with Bukovo Peppers
Add a smidge of Heat through Bukovo Peppers and/or Cubeb Peppers. Not too much, just enough to elevate the flavors with a small amount of heat. Just a pinch of one or the other, or both together. These do a very nice job at accenting the flavors.
Bukovo pepper is sweet, aromatic, slightly spicy, intense ruby red in color, and has a long and pleasant finish. A very common ingredient in Macedonia Cuisine.
Substitute Bukovo with equal amounts of Red Chili Flakes & Sweet Aleppo Pepper.
Greek Chicken with Cubeb Peppers
Cubeb Peppers are surprisingly very good with Greek Chicken, just in small amounts. But it contributes a flavor profile that is really pleasing.
Cubeb pepper is not as hot as Black pepper. Originally used as Black Pepper before Black pepper became popular.
Substitute Cubeb Peppers with equal amounts of Black Pepper & Allspice.
Greek Chicken Rub
This is the easiest and quickest to put together. Simply brush the Chicken with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season with Greek Seasoning. Bake in the oven at 375 F for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through. Shut the oven off but leave the chicken in for another 15 – 20 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle more Greek Seasoning or some Lemon Pepper on before serving or as an option to add at the table along with some Lemon Wedges.
Greek Chicken Marinade
The marinade is made with Garlic, Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Yogurt & Greek Seasoning.
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 1/4 C Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Yogurt.
- 1 Tbl of Greek Seasoning with any additional Herbs & Spices desired.
- 1 Tbl of White Wine – optional.
Marinate whole pieces of chicken for at least 2 hours. Diced chicken breast for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
How to make Greek Chicken Marinade
This is the technique I use instead of just throwing everything together. I find it creates a wicked marinade that just has it all.
The beautiful thing about this technique is that you can peel 1 head of Garlic pretty fast and the Garlic gets pureed right into the liquids like an Aioli. Creating a fantastic marinade, much better than just chopping up the Garlic and adding everything in.
You will need a Stick Blender & Jar just wide enough to fit the blender in.
- Place 1 head of Garlic Cloves into a Jar. Cover with a lid and shake it like you mean it.
- Empty & Clean the Jar out placing the peeled Garlic cloves back into the Jar.
- Add 1/4 C Lemon Juice with 1 Tbl of White Wine if using. Place the Immersion blender in and puree.
- Add the Oil and puree again.
- Empty into a marinating bowl and add 1/4 C Yogurt, 1 Tbl of Greek Seasoning with any additional Herbs & Spices desired.
- 1 Ziploc Bag or bowl for marinating
- 1 Roasting Pan
- 1 Stick Blender
- 1 Glass Jar Just large enough to fit the blender in
- 4 Chicken Quarters - Legs and/or Thighs
- 1 Head Garlic
- 1/4 C Lemon Juice
- 1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 C Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbl JAH Greek Seasoning - or Cavender's All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 Tbl White Wine - Optional – this can be upped to 1/4 C
- 1/8 tsp Bukovo Pepper & Cubeb Pepper - Optional
- Break the Garlic up into cloves and add them to the Jar. Place a lid on and shake aggressively. Empty onto the counter. The skins should come off most of them.Clean the Jar out and place the peeled Garlic cloves back into the Jar.
- Add Lemon Juice & White Wine if using. Puree the mixture with a Stick Blender. Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil and puree again. Empty into the marinating bowl. Add Greek Seasoning & Yogurt, mix well.
- Chop the Chicken to separate the thighs from the legs, clean and trim. Place the Chicken & Marinade into a container or a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Take the Chicken out of the Fridge while you Preheat the oven to 375 F. Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan, presentation side down, reserving some of the marinade to brush the chicken halfway through.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Flip the Chicken over presentation side up and brush or drizzle more marinade on top. Cook another 20 minutes. Shut the oven heat off but leave the chicken in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.Season with more Greek Seasoning or Lemon Pepper. Optionally with some Parsley to Garnish & Lemon Wedges.
- Iced CappEnjoy a Creamy Cold Refreshing Iced Capp at home any time. It’s a Coffee on Ice with additional ingredients to get those unique Flavors. I am still messing around with the ratios. But find this to be pretty close to Tim Hortons Iced Capp. Tim…
- Pasta PitasPasta Pitas are just something else! Brushed with Garlic Butter & sauced with Pasta Meat Sauce. Topped with torn Provolone Cheese for a Deliciously Greasy Treat. Oven baked, garnished and served. These are a very convenient snack right after making some Pasta Sauce using the…
- Pasta SauceRagu style Pasta Sauce simmered for 2 hours or more to develop the concentrated flavors for your favorite Pasta dishes. Made from Tomatoes & Juice, Soffritto, Tomato Paste, with a nice blend of Herbs & Spices and a lot of Basil. Resulting in a Delicious…