JAH Chipotle Sauce is exactly what you need for your next Taco Tuesday Night. I wanted to come up with my own version of a Chipotle sauce. This one packs some flavor and it is really good on a Chicken Chipotle Burrito.
What is Chipotle Sauce
Chipotle Sauce is ripened (red) smoked dried Jalapenos otherwise called Chipotle Peppers. With a Water, Oil, and Vinegar base. Some sauces add Tomatoes or a form of dairy. Almost always included are Onions, Garlic, and Peppers. Along with Sugar, Cilantro, and/or other Herbs & Spices with some form of acid other than the vinegar added as well as a thickener.
Taco Bells Chipotle Sauce Ingredients
Soybean Oil, Water, Whey (from Milk), Vinegar, Buttermilk, Salt, Egg Yolks, Sugar, Contains Less than 2% of Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Garlic, Chipotle Chili Pepper Puree, Spice, Garlic Juice, Onions, Citric Acid, Chipotle Chili Peppers, Xanthan Gum, Phosphoric Acid, Red Bell Peppers, Natural Flavor, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Extractives of Paprika, Natural Smoke Flavor, with Sorbic Acid and Calcium Disodium ETDA as Preservatives.*Dried. Contains milk, egg
Herdez Taqueria Street Sauce Medium Ingredients
Water, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato juice, chipotle adobo puree (water, chipotle chiles, white vinegar, sun dried tomatoes, sugar, salt, natural flavors), modified food starch, contains 2% or less of salt, distilled vinegar, canola oil, garlic, onions, chipotle chile powder, xanthan, gum, calcium chloride (firming), citric acid (to acidify)
Buffalo Chipotle Hot Sauce Ingredients
Water, Distilled Vinegar, Chile Peppers, Salt, Sugar, Caramel Color, Spices, and 1/10 of 1% Sodium
Cholula Hot Sauce with Chipotle Ingredients
Water, Vinegar(White & Apple), Sugar, Peppers(Chipotle, Guajillo, Arbol & Piquin), Salt, Natural Flavors, Spices, Xanthan Gum, Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid & Caramel.
JAH Chipotle Sauce Components
With a general idea, I started with the below.
- 1/2 C Water
- 1/4 C Sunflower Oil & White Vinegar
I added the above to the Food Processor along with the below and pureed the mix.
- 1/2 a Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves
I ran this through a fine sieve into a frying pan. Discarding the pulp left behind. Then added the remaining ingredients.
Chipotle Sauce Seasonings
Chipotle of course. But in the form of Chipotle Powder, although some go for canned Chipotle. Either one is fine. Canned Chipotle will give a stronger Flavor and assist in color while Chipotle Powder is an extremely easy and efficient way of introducing the Chipotle Flavor. Add less or more of the Chipotle powder according to your preferences and heat tolerance.
But what about the Sweetness, High & Low Notes, Umami, and Salt. This is where I added in the below to create a wonderful combination that works so well. Plus an extra ingredient that I think just contributes to Umami, Color, and Flavor.
- Sea Salt
- White Sugar
- Smoked Paprika
- Chili Powder
- Cream of Tartar
- And that last ingredient that brings the Umami, Color, and additional Flavors, Sazon Goya seasoning packet.
The Sazon Goya Seasoning Packet is that extra ingredient that really wakes this up. It also contributes to the color due to the Anchiote in it.
The Chipotle flavor added in this recipe is in the form of Chipotle Powder. I find this to be the easiest way to introduce the Chipotle Flavor since you can buy a bag of Chipotle Powder and make many batches from it. Cheap and easy.
You can optionally choose to blend canned Chipotle in with the Onion, Garlic, and Pepper. The canned Chipotle is what makes the color. In this version, we use a bit of Sazon Goya which contains Anchiote for the color.
Chipotle Sauce Consistency
This recipe offers two versions of the sauce (Standard & Creamy) as well as some additional tweaks should you choose.
Standard Chipotle Sauce
The Standard is just the Water, Oil, and Vinegar base. No sour cream or other substitute is added.
To thicken the sauce more, add a slurry of equal parts of Cornstarch and Water.
Thin it out by adding in more water or other liquids.
Creamy Chipotle Sauce
The creaminess comes from the added Sour Cream. The Oil & Vinegar when combined with water create a thicker viscosity when blended and further held together with Cornstarch.
Sour Cream is added to the saucepot with the other ingredients to create a creamy version. This also helps to mellow things out as well as the color.
Chipotle Sauce Variations
1/4 C of Tomato Paste may be added to the Saucepot with the oil and cooked over medium heat for about 5 minutes before adding in the remaining ingredients. The Tomato paste will contribute to thickening as well.
Optionally the Sugar can be added right afterward to carmelize the sugar a bit before the remaining ingredients go in.
Other liquids can be exchanged with the water. Such as Tomato Juice, V8 Juice, Cream, Milk, Buttermilk, or Broth.
Canned Chipotle Peppers can be added to the blender instead of the Chipotle Powder.
Sour cream, Mayo, Yogurt can be used for a creamy version of Chipotle Sauce.
Chipotle Chicken Burrito
JAH Chipotle Sauce
- Food Processor or Blender
- 1/2 C Water
- 1/4 C Sunflower Oil & White Vinegar
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 small Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbl White Sugar & Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Sea Salt, Chipotle Powder, Smoked Paprika, Chili Powder, and Coriander
- 1 pouch Sazon Goya - –
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cilantro & Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 C Sour Cream - – Optional – Add for a creamy version of Chipotle Sauce
- Combine Water, Oil, Vinegar, Onion, Garlic, and Peppers in a food processor or blender and process well. Empty into a sauce pan passing through a fine sieve, discarding the pulp.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes while whisking often. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the sauce into a squeeze bottle and refrigerate.
- Burrito BowlThis Taco Burrito Bowl is made with all the same ingredients used to make a Taco Burrito. All layered in a Plate, Bowl or Tortilla Bowl. Place everything out on the table, so everyone can build their own with some Soda and enjoy a Family … Read more
- Aioli Pork ChopsAioli Pork Chops are just Phenomenal! These Pork Chops are marinated in an Aioli Marinade using the Jar version of it. Where everything is placed into a Jar and puréed with an Immersion Blender. Slow cooked until fork tender. Just as they come out of … Read more
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your … Read more