Crab Salad Sandwich
Wonderful Buttery Crab Salad Sandwich made with imitation crab meat, Lettuce, and Green Onions placed on buttered bread. Optionally add diced cucumbers. Serve it with a side of Chips or other sides.
I grew up eating this sandwich from time to time with a side of BBQ Ruffle Chips & a Can of Coke, what a treat it was and still is today. I have since changed the dressing to what I believe now to be the Best Crab Salad Sandwich. Delivering on a Buttery, Slight Tang, Umami Dressing that coats the delicate and light tasting crab meat.
Make it for your next Seafood Saturday or Sunday!
Crab Salad Sandwich Ingredients
The Ingredients for this Crab Salad Sandwich is Imitation Crab Meat, Vegetables (usually Lettuce, Cucumbers, and Green Onions) with Seafood Mayo.
You can leave this in big Chunks. I like to pull apart the meat to shred the fake Crab Meat or briefly process it in the food processor. This also gives it more volume when stacked on the Bread and is able to make about 4 sandwiches with about 340 g a little less or over is fine.
Imitation Crab Meat
There are a couple of brands that offer this, with Sea Quest being my favorite. But this is getting harder to find now. The common one at least in my area now is offered by Aquamar which is sold in 340 g.
With the Aquamar I just use 1 pack for this recipe. With SeaQuest I’ll pick up two packs and use the same amount 340 g or there abouts.
The most common vegetables are Lettuce, Celery, Cucumbers, Green Onions and sometimes Shallots or Chives. Some will add in Relish. Add whatever Vegetables you like in your Crab Salad Sandwich.
Although vegetables may be added, you don’t want too much. The star of the dish is the Crab Meat.
This recipe makes use of chopped Lettuce & Green Onions. Wash and Strain well, you don’t want any excess water getting in with the sauce. Diced Cucumbers may be added if desired.
The below image is made with Butter crunch Lettuce & Diced Cucumbers.
HERBS & SPICES
For me, everything is there in the Seafood Mayo Sauce. Common additional Herbs are Parsley, Chives, or Dill Weed. Common additional Spices are Black Pepper, White Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Flakes, and Paprika.
I like to include Aleppo Pepper for the Red Color & Fruity Flavor it adds.
Crab Salad Sandwich with Seafood Mayo
This mayo-based sauce is seasoned with Hondashi, Garlic Powder, Sriracha, Lemon Juice. The final ingredient (Butter Popcorn Seasoning) adds the salt component and buttery goodness for a really good Seafood Mayo. Use Hellman’s Mayo, other mayo’s may already be too acidic.
The Hondashi adds that Umami note to the dressing. This is a secret of many chefs that use Hondashi with Seafood Dishes. It can make all the difference, too.
It’s an amazing and simple flavored Mayo. Use this Seafood Mayo for dipping shrimp or tossing cooked shrimp in the sauce, and in Sushi Rolls.
Spicy Crab Salad Sandwich
For a spicy version, up the Sriracha or add in your favorite hot sauce. Add in hot chili powder. One of my favorites in general for heat is Kashmir Chilies. It has such a nice heat and contributes to the reddish tinge. Black or White Pepper can be added as well.
I like getting the spice fix from the BBQ Ruffles Chips, which deliver the bit of heat with some crunch, perfect for the crab Sandwich. The seasoning in the chips works extremely well with the Crab Sandwich too.
The Seafood Mayo already contains a bit of Sriracha Sauce, but more can be added if you want it spicier.
Butter up two slices of White Bread. There is nothing to stop you from using a wide variety of specialty bread, or even filling up some Hoagie or Hot Dog Buns.
Crab Salad Bun
Place the Crab Sandwich Filling on Hot dog Buns or Hoagies.
Place the Crab Salad on Italian Subs. This one was made with Romaine Lettuce instead of Iceberg Lettuce. The Buns are D’Italiano Original Sausage Buns.
Crab Salad Sandwich Sides
Chips! – I love it with BBQ Ruffle Chips, it pairs so well. You get the heat and the crunch. The seasoning is complimentary.
Crab Salad Sandwich & BBQ Ruffle Chips
This combination is just so good with a can of pop.
Crab Salad Sandwich with Spam
Diced or Sliced Spam works really well with the Imitation Crab Meat. It has the same high note that really helps in elevating the Crab Flavor. Just add some to the Crab Salad and mix well, or slice and place on the buttered bread.
Crab Salad Sandwich & SPAM
Add SPAM to your Crab Salad Sandwich!
Crab Salad Sandwich
- 1 Food Processor optional
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1-2 pack Imitation Crab Meat - about 340 g
- 8 slices White Bread
- 1/2 C Lettuce - Shredded, chopped or torn
- 1-2 Tbl Green Onions - Chopped
- 1-2 Tbl Cucumber - Diced, Optional
- 1/4 C Hellmann's Mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Hondashi, Sriracha, Garlic Powder, Butter Popcorn Seasoning, & Aleppo Pepper
- Shred the imitation Crab meat by hand or pulse in a food processor and add to a mixing bowl. Prepare and add in the Vegetables. Combine the Seafood Mayo ingredients and add to the bowl. Mix everything together and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Butter the Bread Slices and place the Crab Salad filling on top. Slice the Sandwich in half and serve with BBQ Ruffle Chips or another side.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…