You know I got to create a post on the Classic Bologna Sandwich. It’s a simple sandwich, but there are tons of people who prefer it a certain way. In this post, I attempt to get creative and share all the different ways to make it.
I grew up eating these sandwiches. It was Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Good and is still a classic that has to be had from time to time. Although there are many ways to make it, sometimes just the simplistic classic will only do.
Bologna Sandwich Categories
I place these into three main categories. The Cold, Warm and Hot Bologna Sandwich.
Cold Bologna Sandwich
This is just your Classic Bologna Sandwich. No frying the bologna or toasting the bread. Optionally with Cold Veggies like Tomatoes, Onions, and Lettuce and a Cold Cheese Slice.
Warm Bologna Sandwich
This is a Hot Fried Bologna Slice or two on Bread. Optionally with Cold Veggies and Cheese for a nice contrast between heat and cold.
Hot Bologna Sandwich
This is Hot Fried Bologna on Toast, or Bread and then Pan Fried much like grilled cheese or placed into a panini grill. Optionally with Cheese.
Bologna Sandwich Bread
Classic Bologna Sandwich
The Classic Bologna Sandwich is enjoyed on buttered Plain White or Whole Wheat bread.
Bread such as Sour Dough, Focaccia, Deli Rolls or Hoagies, Rye Bread, English Muffins, Tortillas, Pita Bread, Hard/Soft Rolls, Croissants, Biscuits, or Hamburger Buns all can be used to make a Sandwich or Wrap.
For Hamburger Buns or English muffins. Slice the Bologna into 4 equal pieces to stack on the bread so that the bologna only sticks out a bit, or Shave it and stack it like Arby’s.
You can also have it on toasted bread. Either both slices toasted and buttered, or both pieces of bread toasted in one slot.
Single Slot Toast
Two slices of Bread placed into a single toaster slot to toast.
This creates a toasted outside but soft inside or the other way around, up to you which side you like for the outside.
Grilled Cheese Bologna
Assemble and grill it like grilled cheese or with a Panini Maker for a Panini Bologna Sandwich.
Use Butter or Mayo to brush the outside of the bread that comes into contact with the heat source. Optionally sprinkle it with Parmesan Cheese, Aleppo Pepper, and Parsley before cooking.
If having this on English muffins or Hamburger buns, you can butter and toast these over medium heat in a skillet.
The Bologna Meat comes in made with Pork, Beef, Chicken, or a mix. They also come in presliced packages. Depending on how thick you like it, you may have to double or even triple stack the Bologna.
Some people prefer thin slices, while others prefer thick slices. You can also very thinly shave the Bologna and stack on your sandwiches, much like Arby’s.
I remember the Logs of Bologna covered in that wax wrap. Picking up these are a lot cheaper in the long run. Simply slice to your desired thickness and place them into Ziploc bags to freeze. Take them out the night before you plan on making sandwiches.
Fried Bologna Sandwich
Fried, to create a nice warm sandwich. There’s just something about it. Sometimes with Cold veggies like Lettuce or Tomatoes to get that contrast between a freshly Hot Fried Bologna Slice and cold veggies.
Cut one slit from the center out or numerous slits all the way to the outside to prevent the Bologna from lifting from the pan and fry it in some Bacon Grease, or Butter over medium heat. I often use Bacon Grease or JAH Meat Oil to fry the Bologna.
Fry the Bologna until your desired level of crispness. Some like a light frying, while others like it almost burnt.
Some people cut 4 slits around which creates a flower-like shape when fried or a Pac Man cut on one or both sides.
Arbys Bologna Sandwich
This is a Bologna sandwich served up Arby’s Style. With Arby’s Red Sauce or Mayo & Horseradish, with or without added mustard. You could also do a BBQ Sauce or other sauces. Even heat the Bologna up in a frying pan before stacking on the Toasted Hamburger Buns.
You can buy the Waxed Log of Bologna and Shave it yourself with a meat slicer. Another option is to visit your local deli to get them to slice it for you.
Since these are shaved thin, they tend to stick together, so keep the portions to 1/4 lb or about 100 g per bag. If you place them all into one bag, they get compressed under their own weight, and then you will have to separate them to get the nice folds associated with Arbys Sandwiches.
Serve the Meat Cold, or Heat it up in a Microwave or Oven for a Hot Sandwich. The heat can also help separate the slices, since it is only when they are cold that the fat content causes them to stick.
Arbys Red Sauce
Head over to Arbys Red Sauce to make this sauce up if you want to serve this sauce with the Sandwiches. Optionally add a Cheese Slice.
Mayo & Horseradish Sauce
Combine 2 Tbl of Mayo & Horseradish to taste and mix well. With or without 1 tsp of Mustard or more. Add Salt & Pepper to taste. Optionally add a Cheese Slice.
Smoked Bologna Sandwich
This is seriously good. Serve it with Coleslaw. When Smoking Bologna, I do the Whole Log. It creates a nice smoke ring around the outside, which really ups the flavor. These can also be basted with a BBQ Sauce while smoking.
Smoke at 225 F – 250 F for about 3-4 hours.
Sliced Bologna, Cheddar Cheese, Cucumbers on a Tortilla with your choice of spread.
Minced Bologna Sandwich
Add some Bologna into the food processor and run until desired consistency, or chop and mash it up with a fork.
Add Mayo & Mustard with Salt & Pepper or whatever sauce you want and mix. I like the sauce used for Ham Sandwiches. Slather on bread and serve.
Eggs N’ Bologna McMuffin
A piece of Bologna Fried or not on an Egg McMuffin.
Egg & Bologna McMuffin
Topped with a slice of Bologna sliced into 4 to fit the Egg McMuffin or thinly shaved bologna.
Bologna Sandwich Spread
This is where personal preference comes in and is most likely due to how these bologna sandwiches were made for yourself while growing up.
Bologna Sandwich Spread
Some prefer it with Just Mayo. Others with Mayo and Mustard like myself. I use 2 Tbl Mayo & 1 tsp Mustard, or just slather with Mayo and squeeze some mustard.
Others skip the Mayo and use just a Mustard or a Hot Mustard. There are some who just like Ketchup and others with BBQ Sauce or a mix of mayo and BBQ Sauce.
Some other ides below.
- Hot Sauce by itself or added to either Mayo, Mustard, or Ketchup
- With Dill Pickle Relish
- Mild Mayo Sauce
- Honey and Mustard
- BBQ Sauce
- HP Sauce & Mayo or HP Sauce & Ketchup
- Arby’s Red Sauce
- Mayo & Horseradish with or without Mustard
- Deluxe Sauce (Mayo, Vinegar, and JAH Rotisserie Seasoning)
- Dressings like Ranch or Caesar
- Flavored Chip Dips as a spread
Taking it back to the Grandfather of Bologna Sandwiches (Mortadella), you can season the Mayo with Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Peppers, Garlic, Basil, Dijon Mustard, and other Herbs & Spices.
Most commonly Mayo, Dijon Mustard & sometimes Red Wine Vinegar is used or a Vinaigrette Dressing. But there are tons of different spreads for the Mortadella Sandwich. It’s been around much longer than the Bologna Sandwich.
Bologna Sandwich Fillers
There are tons of fillers that can be added to stack up the sandwich. Commonly, cheese slices or Velveeta Cheese is added. Although, Cheese Whiz is used as well. Other cheeses like Provolone, Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack Cheese, or other flavored cheeses can be used too.
Next is Fried Eggs, optionally with a soft yolk for a runny Bologna Sandwich or hard-boiled eggs.
Other fillers include :
- Lettuce, Onions, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Radishes, Pickles, Peppers
- Chow Chow or Bread & Butter Pickles
- Chips, yes chips inside the sandwich. Hickory Sticks are good ones, Plain Chips too. Or on the side with your sandwich.
The Other BLT
Bologna, Lettuce, and Sliced Tomatoes with or without the Bacon is the Other BLT, or should it be called the BOLT Sandwich? I kinda like that… “BOLT Sandwich!”.
Salt & Pepper to season. Some season the bologna, while others season the condiment sauces. Additional Herbs & Spices can be added, like Onion & Garlic Powder, or the seasoning can go directly into the spread you are using.
Salt & Pepper Blend
- 1 Tbl Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 Frying Pan
- 2 Slices Bread - Buttered
- 1 – 2 Slice Bologna - As Thick or Thin as Desired
- 1 Tbl Fat - Bacon Fat, Butter, or JAH Meat Oil
- 1 Slice Velveeta Cheese - Optional
- Salt & Pepper - To Taste
- Mayo - As Desired
- Mustard - As Desired
Cold Bologna Sandwich
- Butter 2 Slices of Bread, Spread Mayo and Mustard, Add Bologna seasoned with Salt & Pepper, optionally add a cheese slice or other fillers and serve.
Warm Bologna Sandwich
- Same as above but Fry the Bologna. Heat a frying pan up over medium heat with a bit of fat.Slit the Bologna from the center outwards and fry both sides until the desired level of doneness. Season with Salt & Pepper.Butter Both Bread Slices and your choice of sauce. (Mayo, Mustard, etc…). Place on the bread any fillers like Cheese, Tomatoes, Onions, etc… Place the Fried Bologna on the Bread and cut the sandwich in half to serve.
Hot Bologna Sandwich
- Fry the Bologna as above or not. Either Toast the Bread or assemble the sandwich with your choice of fillers and butter or mayo the outside for good browning. Optionally sprinkle the outside with Parmesan Cheese, Aleppo, and Parsley.Fry in a Pan, grilled cheese style over medium heat or in a Panini Grill.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…