Buffalo Fried Chicken
Buffalo Fried Chicken is made with Chicken pieces instead of Wings and just as good. You don’t have to have wings to enjoy Buffalo Chicken. Just dust the Chicken, Deep Fry and toss in Buffalo Sauce.
Use Chicken Quarters chopped to separate the leg from the thigh or use individual Thigh and/or Drumsticks, and even chicken breast, bone in and chopped into smaller pieces. Optionally, do a whole chicken chopped into 9–12 pieces.
Hot Sauce combined with Margarine at varying ratios for Mild to Spicy for the Classic Buffalo Sauce.
The original Anchor Bay Bottled sauce ingredients are as follows :
Cayenne Pepper Concentrate(Pepper, Vinegar, Salt), water, margarine(Soybean and hydrogenated soybean oils, water, salt, monoglycerides, soy lecithin, sodium benzoate, artificial flavor, beta -carotene. Vitamin A palmitate), vinegar, salt, xanthan gum, garlic potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate as a preservative. Calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. CONTAINS SOY
FRANKS RED HOT SAUCE
This is the Hot Sauce. It’s a really good Tangy Hot Sauce all by itself.
Frank’s RedHot Sauce Ingredients
Ingredients. Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Salt, Water, Canola Oil, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavour, Dimethyl Silicone.
BUFFALO Sauce HEAT LEVEL
Adjust the heat level by changing the Ratio of Franks RedHot Sauce & Margarine. Another option is to add more cayenne pepper into your chosen ratio of Frank’s RedHot Sauce and Margarine.
Once the Chicken is fried up. Toss the Wings in the Buffalo Sauce at the desired Heat level.
MILD Buffalo Sauce
The ratio of 3:1 Margarine and Hot Sauce. 3/4 C of Margarine and 1/4 C of Frank’s RedHot Sauce.
MEDIUM Buffalo Sauce
The ratio of 1:1 Margarine and Hot Sauce. 1/2 C each of Frank’s RedHot Sauce & Margarine.
HOT Buffalo Sauce
The ratio of 3:1 Hot Sauce to Margarine. 3/4 C of Frank’s RedHot Sauce & 1/4 C Margarine.
Buffalo Fried Chicken Pieces
Use Chicken pieces such as Drumsticks, Thighs, and Breast chopped in smaller pieces. Optionally, use a Whole Chicken chopped into 9–12 pieces. Check out my post on How to Prepare Chicken to see how to chop it down into pieces and clean it.
Once you have all the pieces cleaned and trimmed. Either Deep Fry the Chicken as is with no seasoning or dusting, or optionally Dust the Chicken to assist in a coating that will deep fry up nice and crisp and absorb that Buffalo Sauce.
Buffalo Fried Chicken Dusting
Once the Chicken is dusted, leave out to allow the dusting to work while you heat up the deep fryer to 350 F.
While I usually don’t differentiate between Sea Salt & Kosher Salt at these levels. With this coating, it does make a difference. If using Sea Salt, 1 Tbl of Sea Salt can be a tad too much. For even better control or the use of less Salt, use 1/4 tsp of Sea Salt per piece of Chicken, with the 1 Tbl of Baking Powder and Cornstarch, about 2 tsp. Which should be just enough for 8 pieces.
Combine 1 Tbl of the following.
- Kosher Salt or 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Baking Powder
Tossing Buffalo Fried Chicken
Once the Chicken is all cooked up and the Buffalo Sauce sitting in the bowl, add your deep fried Chicken, toss and mix to generously coat the Chicken thoroughly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Buffalo Fried Chicken & Salad
A nice salad on the side is very good with Buffalo Fried Chicken. This is a Caesar Salad, but a nice Ranch Salad is good too.
Buffalo Fried Chicken
- 1 Deep Fryer
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Pair of Tongs
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 portion Buffalo Sauce - Equal amounts of Margarine & Frank's RedHot Sauce – See Notes
- 1 Tbl Kosher Salt - or 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbl Baking Powder
- 1 Tbl Cornstarch
- Take the Chicken out and pat dry. Toss in the dusting and shake to remove any excess. Set aside to rest while preheating the Deep Fryer to 350 F. You can also deep fry as is with no seasoning or dusting.
- Make the Buffalo Sauce in a bowl large enough to fit all the Chicken, mix well and set aside until the Chicken is cooked.
- Deep Fry the Chicken for 15–18 minutes, or until golden. Lift the basket up and strain off any excess grease. Place them into the bowl of Buffalo Sauce and toss really well, ensuring all the Chicken gets coated. You can also place the Chicken in one at a time to endure full coverage and then set aside on a rack. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
MILDThe ratio of 3:1 Margarine and Hot Sauce. 6 Tbl of Margarine and 2 Tbl of Frank’s RedHot Sauce.
MEDIUMThe ratio of 1:1 Margarine and Hot Sauce. 1/4 C each of Frank’s RedHot Sauce & Margarine.
HOTThe ratio of 3:1 Hot Sauce to Margarine. 6 Tbl of Frank’s RedHot Sauce & 2 Tbl Margarine.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…