Deep-Fried Chicken Wings tossed in Buffalo Sauce for the Classic Buffalo Wings. Extremely easy to make. Serving up dinner in about 15 minutes or even less and Wowee, that sauce! That is something else.
Plate it up with some dipping sauce and some Celery and Carrots or other fried foods like French Fries, Onion Rings, and Mozzarella Sticks. A cool treat with the celery is to smear Cheese Whiz or Velveeta on the Celery Sticks.
There are other recipes out there that add in Vinegar, however, Frank’s RedHot Sauce is already fairly vinegary. Others add in Salt & Garlic, again these are already in the Hot Sauce, so aren’t really needed.
If the Vinegar, Salt, or Garlic needs to be adjusted for your taste then use these 3 ingredients to adjust the flavor. However, the Margarine and Frank’s RedHot Sauce works just as is for the Classic Buffalo Wings.
Real Butter may be too rich, but I haven’t tested it. I tend to lean towards what Anchor Bay originally uses, which is Margarine.
What are Buffalo Wings
Buffalo wings are accredited to Anchor Bar, Buffalo in New York, created in 1964. These are Wings that are deep-fried with no coating and tossed in a Hot Buffalo Sauce made from Margarine & Frank’s RedHot Sauce. Simple yet Delicious.
Buffalo Wings Sauce
Hot Sauce combined with Margarine at varying ratios for Mild to Spicy for the Classic Buffalo Sauce.
The original Anchor Bay Bottled sauce ingredients are as follows :
Cayenne Pepper Concentrate(Pepper, Vinegar, Salt), water, margarine(Soybean and hydrogenated soybean oils, water, salt, monoglycerides, soy lecithin, sodium benzoate, artificial flavor, beta -carotene. Vitamin A palmitate), vinegar, salt, xanthan gum, garlic potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate as a preservative. Calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. CONTAINS SOY
Taking from the above it appears that it is.
- Hot Sauce – Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Water – also in the Hot Sauce
- Butter – more specifically margarine they are not using real butter.
- Vinegar – also in the hot sauce
- Salt – also in the hot sauce and margarine
- Garlic – also in the hot sauce
- Xanthan gum – also in the Hot Sauce
The Hot Sauce is more or equal to the amount of Margarine.
Buffalo Wings heat level
Adjust the heat level by changing the Ratio of Franks RedHot Sauce & Margarine. Another option is to add more cayenne pepper into your chosen ratio of Frank’s RedHot Sauce and Margarine.
Once the Chicken is fried up. Toss the Wings in the Buffalo Sauce at the desired Heat level.
The ratio of 3:1 Margarine and Hot Sauce. 3/4 C of Margarine and 1/4 C of Frank’s RedHot Sauce.
The ratio of 1:1 Margarine and Hot Sauce. 1/2 C each of Frank’s RedHot Sauce & Margarine.
The ratio of 3:1 Hot Sauce to Margarine. 3/4 C of Frank’s RedHot Sauce & 1/4 C Margarine.
Franks Red Hot Sauce
This is the Hot Sauce. It’s a really good Tangy Hot Sauce all by itself.
The listed ingredients are :
Ingredients. Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Salt, Water, Canola Oil, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavour, Dimethyl Silicone.
Frank’s Buffalo Wings
Their version of Buffalo Sauce and instructions, straight from their website is.
- 2 1/2 pounds (1 1/4 kg) chicken wing pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) FRANK’S RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) butter, melted
- Bake wings in a foil-lined pan at 450°F (230°C) for 30 min. until crispy, turning once.
- Combine Frank’s RedHot Sauce and butter in a bowl.
- Toss wings in sauce to coat completely. Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
Crispy & Dry Buffalo Wings
After Deep frying the Wings Toss Briefly in a Bowl with the Buffalo Sauce, just to coat, and then remove them. This allows the Wings to absorb a small amount of the Sauce and stay crisp. Serve right away.
Soft & Wet Buffalo Wings
After Deep frying the Wings Toss well in the sauce, leave for a few minutes and toss again before serving. This allows the Chicken to absorb the sauce more thoroughly resulting in Softened Saturated Buffalo wings.
Variations of Buffalo Wings
With the Base established for the Buffalo Sauce. Other ingredients can be added for variations.
Chipotle Buffalo Sauce
Add Chipotle Powder to the Buffalo Sauce to taste. This will also up the heat so you may want to select the Mild or Medium.
JAHmaican Buffalo Sauce
Add minced Scotch Bonnet to the Buffalo Sauce with or without the seeds. This seriously ups the heat. But there are flavors in there too that are really nice.
Garlic Buffalo Sauce
Add a good amount of Garlic Powder to the Buffalo Sauce. 1 tsp or more.
Honey Buffalo Sauce
Add Honey to the Buffalo Sauce to taste.
- Deep Fryer
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings
- 3/4 C Margarine – Melted
- 1/4 C Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 1/2 C Margarine – Melted
- 1/2 C Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 3/4 C Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 1/4 C Margarine – Melted
- Whisk well melted Margarine & Frank's RedHot Sauce together for the Heat level desired.
- Deep Fry Chicken wings at 350 F – 375 F for about 10 – 12 minutes. Let Strain and Toss with the Buffalo Sauce. If you want Crisp & Dry Wings, remove them right away after tossing and serve immediately.If you want Soft & Wet, Toss then leave them soak for a few minutes as they absorb the Sauce and soften. Toss again and plate.
- Serve with Celery – optionally with Cheese Whiz & Baby or Julienne Carrots or other Deep Fried Foods and a side Dip like Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing.Left over Buffalo Sauce can be poured into a small bowl for dipping as well.