Quick & Easy Tuna Casserole topped with a Cheese Blend or Crumb topping and baked in a casserole dish or single-serve Au Gratin Dish. This is a very old Recipe.
A simple but very comforting dish you can whip up in no time. I remember the first time I had it. It looked like an ordinary casserole and thought nothing of it. I took my first bite and was surprised. This tasted so good I wanted seconds. Ever since this has been a regular in our Family.
What Pasta is used for Tuna Casserole
Any Short Pasta will do, typically Macaroni. About 3 Cups of uncooked Pasta in total.
The Pasta is Boiled until just done. Strained and Placed back into the pot with cold water to stop the cooking process. Once the Pasta has cooled down. Strain again and add back into the pot in preparation for all the other ingredients to go in.
Use canned Tuna to make this Pasta Bake. Strain well squeezing all the juice out from 2 cans of Tuna in Water. Add it into the pot with the Pasta.
Tuna Casserole Sauce
The Sauce is made up of 1 can each, Cream of Mushroom & Cream of Celery Soup. This can be exchanged with other creams of soup that you prefer. A small amount of milk or cream is added. For creamier, add more Milk/Cream or a bit of Sour Cream.
Add in Green Peas and/or cooked Broccoli, shredded Carrots, Onions, Peppers, Celery, Leeks, Green Onions, Mixed Frozen Vegetables.
If using Onions, Celery, Peppers, or Leeks, saute in butter before adding it to the rest of the ingredients to soften the vegetables up.
Place all of the mixed ingredients into a casserole dish (9×13 or smaller) and top. This gives you a thin layered casserole with cheese. For me, this is preferable because it’s that cheese that really makes the whole thing come together. So a thin casserole with the cheese on top is perfect.
Place it into a smaller casserole dish if you want a thicker one.
Place all of the ingredients into a single-serve Au Gratin dish. The great thing about this method is that different people can have different toppings depending on what they are in the mood for. One person wants just the Mozza & Cheddar Cheese, another wants the 3 cheese, and yet another wants the Panko Crumb top. It can all be done with the Au Gratin dishes.
Just fill the Au Gratin dishes and place them on a baking sheet and into the oven it goes.
Tuna Casserole Topping
There are two main toppings that can go on top, Cheese Topped or Crumb Topping.
You typically top with Marble Cheese. Although shredded Mozza & Provolone Cheese at a ratio of 3:1 adds so much more to the dish. It makes a big difference. Add Cheddar Cheese for some sharpness. You can also use a Three Cheese Blend of Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and Cheddar, Tex Mex, or Velveeta Cheese slices.
Add an Extra touch by drizzling melted butter over top the cheese. Garnish it with Aleppo Chili Flakes & Parsley.
Instead of cheese, you can top it with a Crumb topping. Mix the below ingredients and sprinkle on top before baking.
- 1/2 C Panko
- 2 Tbl Melted Butter
- 1/4 tsp Onion,Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbl Cheddar Cheese Powder and/or Parmesan or more depending on taste
- Salt & Pepper
Crumbled Crackers can go on top too. Use Ritz, Vegetable Thins, or Swiss Cheese Crackers.
Garnishing Tuna Casserole
Garnish with Parsley, Aleppo, Chili Flakes, Green Onions, and/or Drizzle Melted butter over top the cheese.
Variation of Tuna Casserole
- Try it with other Cream of Soups!
- Add an Extra Can of Tuna!
- Try it with Egg Noodle Pasta!
- If you like it more saucy, add more milk
- Add a little extra Provolone Cheese for stretchy goodness.
This is a dish that is highly versatile. Make yours today and find out what combination You & Your Family like best. Let it cool before serving and make those Bellies Smile!
- Au Gratin or Casserole Dish (9×13)
- 3 C Short Pasta - – Macaroni, Penne, Egg Noodles
- 1-2 Cans Tuna - – drained really well
- 2-3 stalks Green Onions - – Chopped
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Celery Soup
- 1/4 C Cream/Milk - – or more for creamier
- 1 Tbl Butter
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt - – or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Chili Flakes - – or more if you like it spicy
- Mozzarella Cheese Blend with Cheddar Cheese - – See notes
- Boil Pasta just until al dente. Strain and place back into pot filled with cold water to stop the cooking process. Once the pasta has cooled down, strain again. Place the pasta back into the pot. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place into single serve Au Gratin dishes or a Casserole Dish and Top with Cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 450 F for 15 minutes. Broil the top if it needs color.
- Optionally Garnish with Aleppo & Parsley, Green Onions, Chili Flakes and Drizzle Melted Butter over top the cheese.
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your…
- Chicken Broccoli CasseroleThis is an incredibly comforting Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Made with diced Chicken Breast, Broccoli florets and Rice, enveloped by a Flavorful Creamy Sauce, and topped with melted Cheddar or Velveeta Cheese, making every mouthful an absolute delight. Chicken Broccoli Casserole Ingredients Made with Chicken…
- Cream of Mushroom Pork ChopsCream of Mushroom Pork Chops is a simple and comforting dish with fork tender meat and a succulent savory Mushroom Gravy. This recipe is oven braised Pork Chops, with an unthickened Mushroom Gravy used to braise and thickened right before serving. Although there are different…