Thai Shrimp Chow Mein
Count Me In for Thai Shrimp Chow Mein. This Noodle dish consists of Shrimp, Nappa Cabbage, Green Onions, Carrots, and Bean Sprouts coated in a Sweet Thai Chili Sauce.
SHRIMP CHOW MEIN NOODLES
While your typical Chow Mein noodles can be used here. These can also be replaced with Rice Noodles for a Pad Thai style dish. Just soak them in water until softened. Although one of my favorites for chow mein is Rooster Brand Noodles, pictured below.
Any of your favorite vegetables can go in. We often use Nappa Cabbage, Green Onions, Carrots, and Bean Sprouts.
Other options might include Mushrooms, Radish, Bok Choy, Peas, Peppers, Onions, etc.
The Nappa Cabbage and Green Onions are Sliced thin and the Carrots are shredded. This allows you to stir fry quickly and with ease as you can throw everything together and cook for a few minutes.
Raw Shrimp takes about 2-3 minutes or longer depending on the size. There should be no more gray or translucent and instead should be pink and opaque.
Place the Frozen Shrimp into a bowl of water to thaw. This takes only a few minutes. While the Shrimp is thawing prepare all the Vegetables and Sauce.
Start the Thai Shrimp Chow Mein by sauteing the Shrimp in a single layer over medium heat with some oil until just done, a few minutes on each side.
Set it aside to add to the Chow Mein towards the end along with the Bean Sprouts and Green Onions to stir fry briefly.
SHRIMP CHOW MEIN SAUCE
There are countless sauces used for Chow Mein which is one of the reasons Chow Mein is so great. It can take on many Flavor Profiles.
For this recipe, we are using Sweet Thai Chili Sauce with Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, and some Lemon Juice.
The Type of Sweet Thai Chili Sauce I use is pictured below, along with the type of Fish Sauce. I use this Sweet Thai Sauce for Sweet Thai Chow Mein and also for Sweet Thai Sriracha Chicken Wings and other recipes. It’s a really good sauce.
Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside. Add to Chow Mein last along with the bean sprouts and green onions.
Depending on how well cooked you like your shredded carrots. They can be added last with the Bean Sprouts and Green Onions or along with the Nappa Cabbage.
Dark or Light Soy Sauce may be used in the sauce.
If you want a bit more heat to it, add in some Sriracha Sauce or Chili Oil.
Thai Shrimp Chow Mein
- 4 portions Rooster Brand Noodles
- 1 lbs Shrimp
- 2 Tbl Neutral Oil
- 1/2 C Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbl Soy Sauce & Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 4 Leaves Nappa Cabbage - – Sliced thin
- 2-3 stalks Green Onions
- 1 Small Carrot - – Shredded
- 1-2 handful Bean Sprouts
- Thaw Frozen Shrimp in a Bowl filled with cold water.Prepare all the vegetables that will go into the Chow Mein. Set the Green Onions/Chinese Chives & Bean Sprouts into a separate bowl. These will be added last to fry briefly.Combine all the ingredients together for the Chow Mein Sauce and set aside.
- Fill the Wok with water to boil and cook the chow mein noodles until chewy or just done. Strain and place back into the Wok to fill with cold water to stop the cooking process. Strain again and allow them to air dry.
- Heat the Wok up over medium heat and allow to heat for about 3 minutes with Oil. Add Shrimp in a single layer and leave for 1 minute. Toss the shrimp around and remove them once they have changed to a pink color and are opaque. Total Cook time is about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Remove and set aside the Shrimp.
- Add the Vegetables except for the Green Onions & Bean Sprouts and Stir Fry for a few minutes. Until they are softened but still crisp.
- Add the Chow Mein Noodles & Sauce. Mix really well and cook for another minute. Add in the Bean Sprouts and Green Onion along with the Shrimp and Stir Fry an additional 1 minute. Serve rightaway.
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your…
- Chicken Broccoli CasseroleThis is an incredibly comforting Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Made with diced Chicken Breast, Broccoli florets and Rice, enveloped by a Flavorful Creamy Sauce, and topped with melted Cheddar or Velveeta Cheese, making every mouthful an absolute delight. Chicken Broccoli Casserole Ingredients Made with Chicken…
- Cream of Mushroom Pork ChopsCream of Mushroom Pork Chops is a simple and comforting dish with fork tender meat and a succulent savory Mushroom Gravy. This recipe is oven braised Pork Chops, with an unthickened Mushroom Gravy used to braise and thickened right before serving. Although there are different…