Thai Shrimp Chow Mein
Count Me In for Thai Shrimp Chow Mein. This noodle dish consists of Shrimp, Napa Cabbage, Green Onions, Carrots, and Bean Sprouts coated in a Sweet Thai Chili Sauce.
SHRIMP CHOW MEIN NOODLES
While your typical Chow Mein noodles can be used here. These can also be replaced with Rice Noodles for a Pad Thai style dish. Just soak them in water until softened. Although one of my favorites for chow mein is Rooster Brand Noodles, pictured below.
Any of your favorite vegetables can go in. We often use Napa Cabbage, Green Onions, Carrots, and Bean Sprouts.
Other options might include Mushrooms, Radish, Bok Choy, Peas, Peppers, Onions, etc.
The Napa Cabbage and Green Onions are sliced thin and the Carrots are shredded. This allows you to stir-fry quickly and with ease, as you can throw everything together and cook for a few minutes.
Raw Shrimp takes about 2–3 minutes or longer depending on the size. There should be no more gray or translucent, and instead should be pink and opaque.
Place the Frozen Shrimp into a bowl of water to thaw. This takes only a few minutes. While the Shrimp is thawing, prepare all the Vegetables and Sauce.
Start the Thai Shrimp Chow Mein by sautéing the Shrimp in a single layer over medium heat with some oil until just done, a few minutes on each side.
Set it aside to add to the Chow Mein towards the end along with the Bean Sprouts and Green Onions to stir-fry briefly.
SHRIMP CHOW MEIN SAUCE
There are countless sauces used for Chow Mein which is one of the reasons Chow Mein is so great. It can take on many Flavor Profiles.
For this recipe, we are using Sweet Thai Chili Sauce with Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, and some Lemon Juice.
The Type of Sweet Thai Chili Sauce I use is pictured below, along with the type of Fish Sauce. I use this Sweet Thai Sauce for Sweet Thai Chow Mein and also for Sweet Thai Sriracha Chicken Wings and other recipes. It’s a really good sauce.
Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside. Add to Chow Mein last along with the bean sprouts and green onions.
Depending on how well cooked you like your shredded carrots. They can be added last with the Bean Sprouts and Green Onions, or along with the Napa Cabbage.
Dark or Light Soy Sauce may be used in the sauce.
If you want a bit more heat to it, add in some Sriracha Sauce or Chili Oil.
Thai Shrimp Chow Mein
- 1 Bowl for thawing the Shrimp
- 1 Wok
- 4 portions Rooster Brand Noodles
- 1 lbs Shrimp
- 2 Tbl Neutral Oil
- 1/2 C Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbl Soy Sauce & Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 4 Leaves Napa Cabbage - Sliced thin
- 2-3 stalks Green Onions
- 1 Small Carrot - Shredded
- 1-2 handful Bean Sprouts
- Thaw Frozen Shrimp in a bowl filled with cold water.Prepare all the vegetables that will go into the Chow Mein. Set the Green Onions/Chinese Chives & Bean Sprouts into a separate bowl. These will be added last to fry briefly.Combine all the ingredients together for the Chow Mein Sauce and set aside.
- Fill the Wok with water to boil and cook the chow mein noodles until chewy or just done. Strain and place back into the Wok to fill with cold water to stop the cooking process. Strain again and allow them to air dry.
- Heat the Wok up over medium heat and allow to heat for about 3 minutes with Oil. Add Shrimp in a single layer and leave for 1 minute. Toss the shrimp around and remove them once they have changed to a pink color and are opaque. Total Cook time is about 2–3 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Remove and set aside the Shrimp.
- Add the Vegetables except for the Green Onions & Bean Sprouts and Stir Fry for a few minutes. Until they are softened but still crisp.
- Add the Chow Mein Noodles & Sauce. Mix really well and cook for another minute. Add in the Bean Sprouts and Green Onion along with the Shrimp and Stir Fry an additional 1 minute. Serve right away.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…