Tamarind Dipping Sauce
Tamarind Dipping Sauce is a Dip that we use for Samosas and for Chicken Wings mainly. Although it has other uses like Dip for French Fries, Onion Rings, Chicken Nuggets or Brushed unto Tandoori Chicken, and other meats as a BBQ Sauce or at the side for dipping.
It has a uniquely addictive quality about it due to the Black Salt and Amchur/Mango Powder. Strangely enough this tastes very close to the HP BBQ Sauce. Probably because of the Tamarind commonality between the two as well as additional similarities.
The Tamarind Pulp can be picked up at your local East Indian Grocery Store or at an Asian Supermarket. I pick up the variety with no seeds.
Variations of Tamarind Dipping Sauce
You can substitute the Tamarind Paste with more Tomato Paste and some Vinegar for the sourness component instead of using Tamarind. Or use some Prunes.
Replace Sugar with Jaggery, Dark Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, or Rock Sugar.
For a redder look, you can add in Red Food Coloring, Beet Juice, more Oil and Tomato Paste, Annatto, Paprika, Ketchup, Chili Oil, etc.
Add in Chaat Masala or Garam Masala.
Another Technique involves making syrup from the Sugar. Over medium heat caramelize the sugar until it becomes liquid Add Tomato Paste and mix well and add in the Tamarind Water slowly and very little at a time while mixing.
You could also use Corn Syrup. Heat the Oil and Tomato Paste. Then Add Corn Syrup and mix well. then Add Tamarind Water and the remaining ingredients.
Tamarind Dipping Sauce
- 2 C Water
- 1/2 C Tamarind Pulp
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 2 Tbl Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbl Oil
- 1/2 tsp Ancho or Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander, Ginger, Cumin, Amchur/Mango Powder, Black Salt
- With Tamarind Pulp and Water bring to boil and simmer breaking up the pulp until completely dissolved. Strain and set aside the liquid.
- In a Sauce Pan Add Oil & Tomato Paste and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. The paste should go a darker red color and the oil separating from the Tomato Paste. Add Sugar with 1 – 2 Tbl of Tamarind Water and mix really well until smooth. Add in remaining Tamarind water and bring to boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your…
- Chicken Broccoli CasseroleThis is an incredibly comforting Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole. Made with diced Chicken Breast, Broccoli florets and Rice, enveloped by a Flavorful Creamy Sauce, and topped with melted Cheddar or Velveeta Cheese, making every mouthful an absolute delight. Chicken Broccoli Casserole Ingredients Made with Chicken…
- Cream of Mushroom Pork ChopsCream of Mushroom Pork Chops is a simple and comforting dish with fork tender meat and a succulent savory Mushroom Gravy. This recipe is oven braised Pork Chops, with an unthickened Mushroom Gravy used to braise and thickened right before serving. Although there are different…