Sauerkraut Sausage & Beans
Sauerkraut Sausage & Beans or Saube for short as I like to call it, is an excellent and classic meal that just hits the spot sometimes. With Sweet Molasses Baked Beans and Savory Sausages or Hot Dogs with the Sour Sauerkraut to wash the palate, these flavors just synchronize into a wonderful, satisfying meal.
This is a regular dish in our house. Not only because of the Flavor combining between these three simple ingredients. But the health benefits too, with a good amount of fiber coming from the Beans and the huge health benefits of a Homemade Sauerkraut.
Sauerkraut is an all around natural Probiotic that is more effective than store bought probiotics. You can’t really get any better than Natural Fermentation. You can do this yourself and it’s super easy. Make this a regular, and you will notice health benefits and overall wellness. It’s just good for the Gut and a feel good meal.
Pick any kind you want, but get a good quality one. Stop by your local butcher shop and start experimenting. Maybe this week is Italian Sausage. Next week is Oktoberfest, Bratwurst, Bangers or even Hot Dogs. Keep your taste buds surprised.
Use 1 -2 Sausages per person.
I guess these are technically Sausages. But I treat them like Hot Dogs and they’re really good. Remove the skins/casings to fry them up in the pan with a bit of fat.
How to Cook Sausages
Since this recipe is using Sausages with Baked Beans. Cook the Sausages in the skillet. After the Sausages are removed, add in the Beans with the rendered fat and fond from the Sausages. The Beans boil almost immediately or within a few seconds. Making this available pretty much right after the Sausages are done. Served Quick & Hot with Cold Homemade Sauerkraut on the side for a Quick Meal.
No fat is needed when making Skillet or Stove Top Sausages. The Sausages themselves contain sufficient fat. The Sausages should be oozing clear fat that keeps the Sausages basted, dripping into the pan for browning the Sausages. Internal temp will range from 165 F – 170 F.
Stove Top Sausages
Place Sausages into a Cold Pan over medium low heat and cover. Leave for about 5 minutes. Flip the Sausages over, cover and cook another 5 minutes. Uncover and raise the heat to medium to Brown the Sausages, another 5 minutes.
Hot Dogs & Sauerkraut with Baked Beans
Instead of Sausages, you can use Hot Dogs and fry them in the pan with a bit of Oil until crisp to your liking. Plate them and add the Beans to the hot skillet.
Beans & Hotdogs
Whole Hot Dogs Fried in Fat over medium heat.
Beans & Sliced Hotdogs
You can also slice the hot Dogs to fry in fat and then add the Beans right in with the Hot dogs like the Beans & Hotdogs recipe.
Don’t buy the store stuff, these are pasteurized and contain no real health benefits. It is convenient, I know, but nothing beats Homemade Sauerkraut. It doesn’t really take much time, either. A jar of Homemade Sauerkraut can be put together in about 30 minutes and is really easy. It’s just the waiting time that takes the longest. The longer the ferment, the more sour.
After that, you just refrigerate it. Use it for this Saube recipe, on Hot Dogs, Burgers, Sandwiches, and other dishes or just to take a spoonful every day for optimal gut health.
Homemade Sauerkraut is loaded with Probiotics, easy to make and as sour as you want it. The more sour, the healthier.
It’s also a palate cleanser between the Sausages or Hot Dogs & Beans.
Buying canned Beans is much faster and if you already have the Sauerkraut made up, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less.
Canned Baked Beans
Maritime Baked Beans by Sprague are pretty good.
Saube Dipping Sauces
I like mine with a dollop of HP Sauce & Ketchup on the side for dipping. But any of the below can be served with the Saube.
- HP Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Spicy Ketchup (Ketchup & Sriracha)
Sauerkraut, Sausage and Beans
- 1 Skillet
- 2-4 Italian Sausages - or other kinds. Optionally, use 2 Hot Dogs per serving
- 1/2 C Sauerkraut Recipe - per portion
- 1 Can Baked Molasses Beans - or Homemade, see notes
- Skillet Sausages: Place the Sausages into a cold skillet over medium low heat and cover. No fat is needed, the Sausages contain plenty of fat. After 5 minutes, flip them over, cover and cook another 5 minutes. After a total of 10 minutes, turn the heat to medium and uncover to brown the Sausages for another 5 minutes. The juices should be running clear, basting the Sausages and adding fat to the pan for good browning. Hot Dogs: Add a bit of Oil to the Skillet and fry the Hot Dogs over medium heat until crisp to your liking.
- Once the Sausages or Hot Dogs are cooked and plated. Place the Beans into the Skillet and mix. It will come to a boil almost immediately. Optionally, add a bit of Molasses for a stronger and deeper taste. Mix well and plate.
- Plate the Sauerkraut with the Sausage/s & Beans. Optionally with sauce on the side.
- Chimichurri BurgerChimichurri Burger with a seasoned ground Beef Patty, topped with Red or Green Chimichurri, diced Onions, Pickled Cucumbers or Dill Pickle slices, Mayonnaise on a Buttered & Toasted Brioche Bun. Chimichurri Make the Chimichurri first, since this will need time to meld the Flavors. It…
- Pickled CucumbersAllow your taste buds to know and enjoy these Refrigerator Pickled Cucumbers. Whether harmoniously paired with your gastronomic delights, such as Hamburgers, Chicken Burgers, Sandwiches, Hot Dogs & Sausages, Salads, used as a Relish or consumed as a snack. These Pickled Cucumber Slices will undoubtedly…
- Chimichurri ChickenChimichurri Chicken can be made with Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters, Legs and/or Thighs. Just Salt & Pepper the Chicken to Sear for Breast or Bake for Quarters. Then ladle Green/Verde Chimichurri or Red/Rojo Chimichurri on top while the Chicken rest. Optionally marinate the Chicken…