Sauerkraut Sausage & Beans
Sauerkraut Sausage & Beans or Saube for short as I like to call it, is an excellent and classic meal that just hits the spot sometimes. With Sweet Molasses Baked Beans and Savory Sausages or Hot Dogs with the Sour Sauerkraut to wash the pallet, these flavors just synchronize into a wonderful, satisfying meal.
This is a regular dish in our house. Not only because of the Flavor combining between these three simple ingredients. But the health benefits too, with a good amount of fiber coming from the Beans and the huge health benefits of a Homemade Sauerkraut.
Sauerkraut is an all around natural Probiotic that is more effective than store bought probiotics. You can’t really get any better than Natural Fermentation. You can do this yourself and it’s super easy. Make this a regular, and you will notice health benefits and overall wellness. It’s just good for the Gut and a feel good meal.
Pick any kind you want, but get a good quality one. Stop by your local butcher or sausage shop and start experimenting. Maybe this week is Italian Sausage. Next week is Oktoberfest, Bratwurst, Bangers or even Hot Dogs. Keep your taste buds surprised.
Pan Fry the Sausages for 12 – 15 minutes, or go with Air Fryer Italian Sausages. Just place the sausages in the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 400 F. Flip them over halfway through. Set them aside to rest while you reheat the beans.
I guess these are technically Sausages, but I treat them like Hot Dogs and they’re really good. But remove the skins/casings to fry them up in the pan with a bit of fat.
Don’t buy the store stuff, these are pasteurized and contain no real health benefits. It is convenient, I know, but nothing beats Homemade Sauerkraut. It doesn’t really take much time, either. A jar of Homemade Sauerkraut can be put together in about 30 minutes and is really easy. It’s just the waiting time that takes the longest. The longer the ferment, the more sour.
After that, you just refrigerate it. Use it for this Saube recipe, on Hot Dogs, Burgers, Sandwiches, and other dishes or just to take a spoonful every day for optimal gut health.
Loaded with Probiotics, easy to make and as sour as you want it. The more sour, the healthier.
Buying canned Beans is much faster and if you already have the Sauerkraut made up, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less.
Canned Baked Beans
Maritime Baked Beans by Sprague are pretty good.
Dipping Sauces for Sauerkraut Sausage & Beans
Use any one or a mix of these. I like mine with a dollop of HP Sauce & Ketchup on the side for dipping.
- HP Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Spicy Ketchup (Ketchup & Sriracha)
Sauerkraut, Sausage and Beans
- 1 Skillet
- 4 Italian Sausages - or other kinds. Optionally, use 2 Hot Dogs per serving
- 1/2 C Sauerkraut Recipe - per portion
- 1 Can Baked Molasses Beans - or Homemade, see notes
- Skillet Sausages: Place the Sausages into the skillet over medium heat. Cook for a total of 12–15 minutes or until an internal temp of 160 F, turning them over for even browning. Air Fryer Sausages: Air Fry Sausages at 400 F for 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Hot Dogs: Add a bit of Oil to the Skillet and fry the Hot Dogs over medium heat until crisp to your liking.
- Once the Sausages or Hot Dogs are cooked and plated. Place the Beans into the Skillet and reheat over medium high heat, mixing often. Optionally, add a bit of Molasses for a stronger and deeper taste.
- Plate Beans & Sauerkraut with the Sausage/s. Optionally with Ketchup & HP Sauce or other Sauces.
- Burrito BowlThis Taco Burrito Bowl is made with all the same ingredients used to make a Taco Burrito. All layered in a Plate, Bowl or Tortilla Bowl. Place everything out on the table, so everyone can build their own with some Soda and enjoy a Family … Read more
- Aioli Pork ChopsAioli Pork Chops are just Phenomenal! These Pork Chops are marinated in an Aioli Marinade using the Jar version of it. Where everything is placed into a Jar and puréed with an Immersion Blender. Slow cooked until fork tender. Just as they come out of … Read more
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your … Read more