Samosa Dipping Sauce
A Sweet & Sour East Indian Seasoned Sauce or Chutney perfect as a Samosa Dipping Sauce. With other uses too. Whether you order the Samosas or make Samosas from scratch, this is the dipping sauce you need for them.
I set out to create the best version of this because when ordering Samosas and Dipping sauces from restaurants the Sauce varied so much and most just lacked flavor. This one hits you with Sweet East Indian Flavors perfect for dipping Samosas.
Samosa Dipping Sauce Components
The Sauce consists of Rice Vinegar and water for sourness. Thickened with Tomato Paste.
Whisk the Tomato Paste and Oil together and cook over medium heat. This darkens the color and cooks out the tomato taste.
The Sweetness comes from White sugar but for extra flavor, you can add Jaggery or Brown Sugar.
Add Sugar to the Oil and Tomato Paste after being cooked down. Before adding in the Liquids. This will slightly caramelize the sugar.
The Seasoning consists of Chili Powder, Coriander, Cumin, Ginger, Amchur, or Mango Powder with Black Salt.
This is the seasoning that gives the strangely addictive taste.
Regular Chili Powder can be used or Kashmir Chili powder. Which also assists in the red color without red food coloring. Pick this up at your local East Indian Grocery Store.
For a Tamarind version. Add 1 – 2 Ice Cubes of Homemade Tamarind Paste. You may need to add more water if needed to adjust for consistency.
Add Red Food coloring to give that “Red” Tamarind Chutney color.
Samosa Dipping Sauce Uses
Mainly used for Potato Samosas but works wonderfully with Tandoori Chicken, French Fries, or Chicken Nuggets. You could even use this as an East Indian BBQ Sauce to Brush over Grilled meats much like your typical BBQ Sauce. One such place is with Tandoori Chicken Wings.
Chicken Wings seasoned with Tandoori Masala and deep-fried before being tossed in Samosa Dipping Sauce.
Chicken Breast or Chicken Quarters marinated with Tandoori Masala and cooked. Placed on a Buttered & Toasted Hamburger Bun with Tandoori Burger Sauce.
Just mix 1-2 Tbl of Samosa Dipping Sauce with 1/4 C of Hellmans Mayonaisse. Add whatever toppings your belly desires.
Another odd place I have used this sauce in is combined with French Onion Chip Dip to taste. It adds a very nice sweetness and flavors to the dip.
Samosa Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 C Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 C Water
- 5 Tbl Jaggery or Sugar
- 2 Tbl Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbl Neutral Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander, Cumin, Ginger, Amchur/Mango Powder, Black Salt
- Red Food Coloring - – Optional
- In a small bowl add the Water, Vinegar and Seasoning. Measure out the sugar separately and set aside.
- Over medium heat in a sauce pan add the Oil & Tomato Paste. Whisk and Cook until the Tomato paste becomes a darker red and the Oil starts to separate from the paste.
- Add the Sugar to the Pan and mix until smooth. Then add the bowl with the Seasoning and Liquids. Bring back to a boil and remove from heat to cool.Serve with Samosas and/or Tandoori Chicken.
- Iced CappEnjoy a Creamy Cold Refreshing Iced Capp at home any time. It’s a Coffee on Ice with additional ingredients to get those unique Flavors. I am still messing around with the ratios. But find this to be pretty close to Tim Hortons Iced Capp. Tim…
- Pasta PitasPasta Pitas are just something else! Brushed with Garlic Butter & sauced with Pasta Meat Sauce. Topped with torn Provolone Cheese for a Deliciously Greasy Treat. Oven baked, garnished and served. These are a very convenient snack right after making some Pasta Sauce using the…
- Pasta SauceRagu style Pasta Sauce simmered for 2 hours or more to develop the concentrated flavors for your favorite Pasta dishes. Made from Tomatoes & Juice, Soffritto, Tomato Paste, with a nice blend of Herbs & Spices and a lot of Basil. Resulting in a Delicious…