Red Greek Sauce
Red Greek Sauce is a Tomato & Pepper Based Sauce usually served with Grilled Meat. This is my take or version of coming up with a Sauce Condiment that I could use with Grilled Meat, Greek Style Meatballs in a Meatball Platter Dish, Greek Style Burger, Sausages, and so on.
This Sauce is a perfect match with Grilled Meat. Mainly composed of Tomatoes & Red Peppers or Roasted Red Peppers. With additional Seasonings and some Acid.
The Sauce is simple too. Just puree the ingredients. Bring to boil and chill. Serve this over Grilled Meats or Meatballs.
Greek Condiment Sauce
This isn’t a Greek Tomato Sauce. Rather it is a Greek Red Condiment Sauce or much like a Greek version of Ketchup that is served over Gyros or other grilled meats.
I often pair this up with Tzatziki Sauce since both sauces are complementary to each other. In such dishes as Souvlaki, Greek Pork Chops, or other dishes like Gyros & Meatballs. It’s also an extraordinary good sauce for topping Meatloaves.
Tomato Juice & Paste
Tomato Juice & Tomato Paste serves as the base sauce to which other ingredients are added. Alternatively the Tomato Paste can be upped to 1/2 C with 3/4 C of water to replace the Tomato Juice & Paste in the recipe below.
Use either Long sweet red Peppers Fresh or Jarred. Optionally replace it with Pimento Paste. This allows the skipping of blending as the Pimento paste is already pureed. Just add everything into the pot.
Long Sweet Red Pepper
1-2 Peppers Pureed
Pickled Red Pepper
1-2 Peppers Pureed
About 1/4 C of Sweet Pimento Paste
Use Cavender’s Greek Seasoning if you do not have your hands on JAH Greek Seasoning. This adds in the seasoned salt aspect to the sauce.
To this, we bolster up the Spice side of things. Using Allspice, Onion, Garlic, Cumin, Coriander, Ginger, Mustard, Mace, and Cinnamon. These in with the sauce produce a really nice flavor that pairs extremely well with meats.
Red Greek Sauce Variations
Roasted Tomatoes & Peppers
Another version of this is to caramelize whole Tomatoes with the Red Sweet Long Peppers. Then reduce this to a sauce consistency and add the seasoning and Acid. Sugar may or may not be added due to the sweetness of the caramelization.
Pimento Red Greek Sauce
Add Sweet Pimento Paste, about 1/4 C in place of the Peppers added. Skip the blending and just throw everything into a pot. This version in the picture below also used 1/2 C tomato Paste with 3/4 C of water in place of the Tomato Juice & Paste.
For a Spicy version, use Hot Pimento Paste.
Red Greek Sauce
- 1 Blender
- 1 Saucepot
- 1-2 Red Sweet Long Pepper - – or Jared Roasted Pepper – no seeds
- 1 C Tomato Juice
- 1/4 C Tomato Paste
- 1/4 C Apple Cider or Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbl Sugar
- 1 tsp Greek Seasoning & Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Allspice, Onion, Garlic, Cumin, Coriander, Ginger, & Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Mace and Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Burrito BowlThis Taco Burrito Bowl is made with all the same ingredients used to make a Taco Burrito. All layered in a Plate, Bowl or Tortilla Bowl. Place everything out on the table, so everyone can build their own with some Soda and enjoy a Family … Read more
- Aioli Pork ChopsAioli Pork Chops are just Phenomenal! These Pork Chops are marinated in an Aioli Marinade using the Jar version of it. Where everything is placed into a Jar and puréed with an Immersion Blender. Slow cooked until fork tender. Just as they come out of … Read more
- Taco BurritosTry Taco Burritos for your next Taco Tuesday Meal. Stuffed with Refried Beans, Mexican Rice, Red Taco Sauce, Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese. Rolled up and toasted in a pan or grilled crispy. You can add in or omit any Burrito fillings to customize your … Read more