Mexican Meatball Platter
Mexican Meatball Platter is Soft and Tender Taco Seasoned Meatballs on Sour Cream or Taco Chip Dip, Covered with Red Taco Sauce. With Spanish Rice and Salsa on Refried Beans and Cilantro Cream Sauce if desired on top. Pick up an Old El Paso Hard Shell Taco Kit to make yours for Taco Tuesday!
This is my take on Mexican Meatballs. These result in Soft and Tender Meatballs that when served up with this platter and all the fixings just hits the spot.
When making the meatballs allow the mixture to rest in the fridge for an hour.
Chorizo or other Mexican Sausages may be used as well. Break the sausage down to form meatballs and cook or cook whole and Slice.
Cooking the Meatballs
Portion out using 1 1/2 Tbl for each meatball and Place on a baking sheet until you are ready to cook.
Then On medium heat in a large enough skillet to hold all the meatballs – about 20, without crowding and some lard. Place the meatballs in and cover. Let cook 3 minutes then give the pan a shake and make sure each meatball moves freely. Continue to cook covered until the meatballs are done – about an additional 5 minutes tossing the pan around every so often. Uncover and Cook a few minutes longer about 1-2 minutes. Make sure you start with a hot enough skillet. Give it a few minutes to melt the lard and heat up.
Additional Side Items
The additional side items come together to form the Mexican Meatball Platter. There are a few items you will need prepared before starting this recipe.
- Sour Cream set aside
- Salsa set aside
- Prepare JAH Refried Beans or Old El Paso Refried Beans
- Use JAH Red Taco Sauce or Old El Paso Taco Sauce
- Make JAH Spanish Rice
- Hard Shell Taco
- JAH Taco Seasoning or Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- Optional – Cilantro Cream Sauce
You can also just pick up the Old El Paso Kit which will contain most of your items. Hard Shell, Taco Sauce and Seasoning and pick up some Old El Paso Refried Beans, Salsa & Sour Cream.
Plating the Mexican Meatball Platter
- Meatballs placed on top of Sour Cream or JAH Taco Chip Dip with Red Taco Sauce drizzled over top.
- Spanish Rice with Salsa on top of Refried Beans and a Cilantro Cream sauce on top.
- Optionally with some Guacamole and Roasted Vegetables like Peppers, Tomatoes, Corn.
Mexican Meatball Platter
- 1 lbs Ground Pork – Very Cold
- 1 pack Old El Paso Taco Seasoning or JAH Taco Seasoning
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Hard Shell Taco Crushed Fine
- 2 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbl Lard
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
Additional Side Item
- Sour Cream as needed
- Refried Beans as needed – Link in notes
- Taco Sauce as needed – Link in notes
- Spanish Rice with Salsa – see notes
- Run the Food Processor to crumble the Hard Shell along with the Garlic. Add in remaining Meatball Ingredients except the Ground Pork and Process until mixed. Add the Cold Ground Pork and Process until just combined or you can mix this in a bowl. Store this in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Get Everything else ready – Spanish Rice, Refried Beans, Sour Cream, and Taco Sauce. Optionally Cilantro Cream Sauce, Guacamole and Roasted Vegetables.
- Shape Meatballs using 1 1/2 Tbl and place on baking sheet.
- Place some lard into a Skillet large enough to hold all of the meatballs. Allow to warm up a few minutes. Place all the meatballs in and cover. Allow to cook for 3 minutes before giving the pan a shake and ensuring all the meatballs move around freely. Cook Covered an additional 5 minutes shaking the pan a round to move the meatballs around. Uncover and cook a bit 1- 2 minutes.
- Plate on top of Sour Cream and Drizzle Taco Sauce on top. Add a smear of Refried Beans by the side and Place the Spanish Rice on top and Cilantro Cream sauce or Sour Cream on top of the rice. Serve optionally with Roasted Vegetables and Guacamole.