Meat & Vegetable Soup
Meat & Vegetable Soup is a versatile basic Soup. I use Sausages for this recipe but often use other choice cuts of meats like Ham, Chicken, Beef, Pork etc. A variety of Vegetables are added to the Soup.
Soups can be made in large batches for Lunch or Supper the next day or Portioned and frozen. Serve with some Buttered Dinner Rolls or Biscuits.
Meat and Vegetables Soup Broth Liquid
A Combination of Broths & Tomato Juice with Tomato Soup for Flavor and to assist in a slightly thicker consistency. This is further helped by adding flour. To make a stew out of this, then add more flour. If you want more concentrated flavors, bring to a boil and simmer to reduce and concentrate the flavors. If reducing you may or may not need to add Salt.
The Seasoning can be switched up with your favorite seasoning. If using Chicken use Poultry Seasoning or Greek Seasoning, this also works well with Pork.
Salt and Pepper are added at the end and needed to bring the flavors out. If reducing the sauce it may not need salt as there is already some in the broth that will further concentrate as the broth reduces.
If Chopping your vegetables into larger sizes. Add the longer cooking vegetables along with the Cabbage, Onion and Garlic First. Then add the Shorter cooking vegetables.
If they are cut small, you can dice them all the same size and add all of them.
Cooking vegetables slowly in a little Fat before combining with the liquid improves their flavor and gives the soup a mellower richer taste.
Any vegetables or other items can go into this soup. Some additional ideas are:
- Waxed Beans
- Green Peas
For this recipe I use Mild Italian Sausages. Other types of sausages work as well.
Use any cuts of meat such as Beef Cubes or Strips, Chicken, Pork. The process remains the same.
You start by cooking the meat rendering out any fat or with some added fat to create a fond. Add additional fat if needed. Saute the vegetables for a few minutes. Add everything together. Simmer until the Vegetables are just before done. Set aside to cool while the vegetables finish cooking.
Meat & Vegetable Soup Tips
- For a stew version just add more flour so the soup thickens up into a stew. About 1/3 C of Flour or more, depending on how thick you like it.
- For more concentrate flavors. Bring to Boil the Liquids with seasoning and reduce to desired taste. Salt may or may not be needed.
- You want to achieve the Fond the meat will create as well as the Vegetables and Flour mix. Don’t let this get to brown.
- If Chopping your vegetables into larger sizes add the longer cooking vegetables along with the Cabbage, Onion and Garlic First. Then add the Shorter cooking vegetables.
- If they are cut small, you can dice them all the same size and add all of them.
- Cook the soup until the Vegetables are slightly before done and remove the soup from the heat and let sit. The Vegetables will still cook while resting.
- If you plan on freezing the soup. Cook until vegetables are a bit before done and dump the soup carefully into a roasting pan to cool. This creates a lot of surface area to cool the soup down faster. Additionally you can throw some ice cubes in. Portion and Freeze.
Meat & Vegetable Soup
- 3-4 Sausages or other Choice Meat
- 1/4 C Oil
- 2 Tbl Flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper or to taste
- 4 C Pork Broth
- 4 C Chicken/Beef Broth or 1 Pack Onion Soup Mix with 4 Cups of Water
- 2 C Tomato Juice
- 1 can Tomato Soup
- 1 Tbl Paprika & Parsley
- 1 tsp Coriander & Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Thyme, Rosemary
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Cabbage 1 inch chunks or strips
- 2 large Potatoes diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 Celery sliced or diced
- 1 Onion – diced
- 3 Garlic chopped
- 1-2 stalk Green Onions sliced
- optional Turnip, Sweet Potatoes, Waxed Beans, Peppers, Mushrooms, Radish etc.
- Combine the Broth Ingredients with Seasoning and set aside.
- In a Stock Pot Cook the Sausage with Oil until done on medium heat covered.
- Meanwhile Start Preparing and Chopping up the Vegetables all the same size except for the Cabbage which can be cut in strips or 1 inch chunks.
- Remove the Sausages when they are done and set side. Keep the fat in the pan.
- Add to the Stock Pot the Vegetables and Saute for a few minutes on Medium Heat.
- Sprinkle Flour and Mix. Cook for 1-2 Minutes. Add the Broth Mix, Scraping the bottom to pick up the fond. Turn the heat up to max and bring to boil. Slice the Sausage and add to the Soup.
- Reduce heat to Simmer until Vegetables are almost done. Set aside and Add Salt & White Pepper to Taste.